Pages: 1
RSS
Download or Dispatch Last XXX number of messages

With mailbox sizes getting bigger and bigger (unlimited in some cases), "Dispatch->All Messages" is becoming less and less useful. It can take hours just to download all message headers.

Is there any way to say "download or dispatch only the last 100 messages" or something like that so one can skip all the old messages? Or maybe some way to update the UID of the last message read to bring it closer to the most recent messages?
Edited: Robert Hirn - 06 September 2016 22:46:46

I'd say "switch to IMAP".

If you want to keep all your old mail on the server, can't you just create an 'Archive' folder and move your old messages there once a month or so? That should keep the list of messages in your Inbox much smaller than it is now.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

@AnrDaemon

Curious as to why you think this would help? IMAP's initial download is exactly the same as "Dispatch". It still has to read through and download the headers of all messages in the mailbox.This process takes hours for tens of thousands of emails and I have clients who have many hundreds of thousands of emails. This takes days and days to download.

I can't believe I am the only person who ever wanted to just list the most recent emails in an account and ignore all the old stuff. Really?

Maybe we're not understanding your situation. It's hard to imagine people spending days and days downloading mail from an IMAP account. Is this an initial conversion from a prior email client? Have you investigated the fine-tune settings on downloading new messages vs read messages? And the folder option on how long to keep messages? I have IMAP accounts and the messages are not downloaded each time I access the account, only unread messages.

david
Pages: 1