Pages: 1
RSS
Configuring Confusion, Organizing Folders and Emails

I have been using Eudora for a long time. Recently, GMail changed something so Eudora no longer works. The Bat! was recommended to me by a friend, so I bought it.

But tarnation! There are NO DIRECTIONS ANYWHERE!

With my friend's help I got it to where the Bat! could access one of several accounts.

It just DL ten years of mail (close to a half million emails) and dumped it in the InBox, while creating a few folders and apparently putting copies of some emails in those folders. I hadn't had the opportunity to set up Folders and Filters yet.

I can't figure out how to create the folders... the Folder tab doesn't work.

Am I REALLY going to have to set up all the folders and folders within folders of ten years of Eudora, and then HAND TRANSFER a half million emails to where they should be? REALLY?!

And is there some way to have The Bat! open (so I can sort my half million emails) but offline, so it isn't dumping more emails on me until I get these sorted?

Is there a The Bat! For Dummies anywhere?
Edited: Marilyn Alm - 12 September 2017 03:51:55 (To add another question)

Marilyn Alm wrote:
There are NO DIRECTIONS ANYWHERE!

You could start by clicking 'HELP' in the menu, or by visiting the online help: https://www.ritlabs.com/en/support/help.php

The 'Mailbox Import Wizard' may be of interest. If it doesn't work, you'll probably have to export the messages from Eudora in unix mailbox format and import those into The Bat.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

<#0>You could start by clicking 'HELP' in the menu, or by visiting the online help:  https://www.ritlabs.com/en/support/help.php

The 'Mailbox Import Wizard' may be of interest. If it doesn't work, you'll probably have to export the messages from Eudora in unix mailbox format and import those into The Bat.

I typically check "Help" first.  It doesn't explain anything that I need to know.

The problem with most "Help" dialogues is that they are written by people who already know the program intimately. Often, they are written with an assumption of knowledge of computer terms and actions which an average user may not have. I've read all the articles under "Folders" None of them actually tell me how to create a folder tree.

I was planning to attempt the Import -- one of the things which attracted me to The Bat! was its ability to import from Eudora. I was hoping that the import would create the folders I have in Eudora, maybe even import the filters.

What I was NOT expecting was for The Bat! to download everything for the last ten years from Gmail and have it in one unsorted MESS in the Inbox!

I was going to put a screen shot in here to show what my current Bat! screen looks like.

No image button in this Forum. So I can't include the example of what my Bat! currently looks like, or what I'm trying to do, unless I'm supposed to use Photobucket or similar and put it in between image tags.

I was planning to attempt the Import -- one of the things which attracted me to The Bat! was its ability to import from Eudora. I was hoping that the import would create the folders I have in Eudora, maybe even import the filters.

What I was NOT expecting was for The Bat! to download everything for the last ten years from Gmail and have it in one unsorted MESS in the Inbox!

I did not create either the Pecanbread folder or the SCD-list folder. The Bat! did that all on its own while it was downloading three-quarters of a million messages to the Inbox..

So, I click on Folder => New => Folder. I select Root as the Parent Directory because I want this Folder on the same level as In and Out. I don't know what the rest of the stuff on the dialogue is, so I leave it at default. I click OK. It says, "Please Wait." And then nothing happens. I do not have a new folder. I've done this half a dozen times. And... NOTHING!

If I can't even get a Level 1 folder to create, how the (bleep) am I supposed to do the rest of it?
Edited: Marilyn Alm - 12 September 2017 18:36:13 (Removal of duplicated text.)

Please note: there is duplicated text in the above message which does not show when I try to edit it out.

Marilyn, this is a user to user forum. If you want to philosophize about help systems, or rant about a program behaving differently fr om what you were expecting, that's fine but don't expect useful feedback.

As to your folder problem, just enter the desired name in that dialog and press OK. Don't mess with the directory (that's where the message files will be stored on your harddrive, not wh ere the folder will appear within your account).
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
As to your folder problem, just enter the desired name in that dialog and press OK. Don't mess with the directory (that's where the message files will be stored on your harddrive, not wh ere the folder will appear within your account).
Did that. It asks me to wait. And no folder appears.

Finally found it. Folder => New => Common Folder, not just "Folder." Not exactly self-evident.

Does The Bat! have Mailboxes under Folders, or just Folders under Folders?
Edited: Marilyn Alm - 13 September 2017 07:32:01 (Add commentary.)

Your account is probably of the IMAP variety (rather than the plain old POP3), in which case the folders are set up on the server. If so, you should be able to use Account -> IMAP Commands -> Manage IMAP folders to change the folder structure. On the other hand, Gmail is not an entirely standard IMAP server, and it may be better to do these things online through Gmail's web interface. For instance, Gmail allows you to hide folders from IMAP devices that connect to it, and that might explain things if certain folders don't appear in The Bat.

Personally I only use pop3 accounts and I only have regular folders within those accounts (no common or virtual folders). Hopefully someone else with more knowledge of these issues can chime in.

Marilyn,
W feel your pain. Converting to new email clients is never easy. The learning curve is always steep. Tell us a bit more. If your account was IMAP, I'm not sure any conversion is needed. When I switched to TB! I had zero work to do; the folders and mail were there online. If your account was POP, then you need to give some more information beyond your frustration. Regarding Eudora, I hope your difficulty wasn't due to SSL settings. Although that was a major deliverable for Eudora in 2007, they hid those menu options and a manual change to the .ini file was needed to show them. Assuming you still have Eudora and the messages, you can always delete what is there and start over. Give us more info and maybe we can assist.
david

Sorry for the delay in answering. The Forum decided to explode and lost my answer.

I honestly do not know whether the account was POP or IMAP. I didn't set it up originally -- and it was 14 yours ago. Heck, 14 years ago, I was still using WordStar off and on for word processing, and I probably couldn't remember those commands now if you paid me!

I do still have Eudora, and the messages in it. I don't know what SSL settings are.

Are you suggesting deleting the three-quarters of a million messages from TB! inbox, barring those recent ones it may have DL since Eudora quit working? And then go and create folders in TB! like those in Eudora, and re-import, one folder at a time?

Is there a way to make TB! stay off line while I am doing all this?
Pages: 1