Pages: 1
RSS
Can't run The Bat! anymore

Hello.

I have Windows 10 (x64) Build 1803 and I can't run The Bat! anymore. What happened? I used The Bat! in the past. Now tried install and run The Bat! v8.3 in trial mode but I can't. When I start program some window blink in 0,5 second and nothing happen. Zero reaction. I killed The Bat! process and tried again but have this same program. Some window blink in 0,5 second and nothing happen. What I do?

1. Uninstalled program.
2. Rebooted PC.
3. Installed program and again can't run it.
4. Uninstall program.
5. Deleted The Bat! folder.
6. Deleted "The Bat!" folder in %APPDATA%.
7. Deleted all The Bat/RIT/RITLABS entries in registry.
8. Rebooted PC.
9. Installed program and still can't run it. Again some window blink in 0,5 second and nothing happen.

I tried The Bat v8.3 and older version, 64/32 bit versions. I just can't run program any more. Why?
Edited: Tommy Tommy - 01 June 2018 23:59:13

Have you tried launching The Bat with the /nologo command line parameter?
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

It working fine with /nologo parameter. I spent whole day to fix this. OMG :( Why The Bat! do not working without this parameter any more?

Please describe how to run The Bat! with /nologo.

I am having a similar problem. Except that I see the logo and then the message list for a fraction of a second, and then  the window disappears. Sometimes Task Manager says the program is still open, sometimes now. Then I cannot get it to even try to start.

chileverde wrote:
Please describe how to run The Bat! with /nologo.

- Right-click on your The Bat desktop shortcut (the one you launch The Bat with) and choose properties.
- The commandline that executes The Bat is shown as 'target'. Append " /nologo" (without the quotes, but with the leading space) to this line.
- Press OK to save the edited shortcut.
- Now double-click on your shortcut to see if it works - I expect that it will!
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Thanks, Daniel. It worked!

In case others might make the same mistake I made at first (adding /nologo to the command already within quotes in the Target field of the shortcut), the Target field should read:

"C:\Program Files\The Bat!\thebat64.exe" /nologo

Of course, if you installed The Bat! somewhere else (as I did), you would have to show the actual location on your computer.

For the first time in countless installation attempts, after starting the first time and answering a few questions, including the location I wanted to use for my data (the Mail folder), I saw a screen for Create New Account; at the bottom there was an option to restore a backup. I restored the .tbk backup archive from my old computer, and in a few minutes I had The Bat! ready to go with my old messages and settings.

BTW I installed The Bat 8.3.0 64-bit on my laptop running Windows 10 1709 OS build 16299.461

(I am delaying upgrading to Windows 10 1803 because of all the bugs reported.)

Are you using the AntiSpamSniper with The Bat!?

I don't think that /nologo can make any difference.

If you use AntiSpamSniper, try to uninstall it to see whether it can help. If it helps, try to obtain latest version of it.

Windows just did it's April (Windows 10 1803) update and TheBat! no longer starts up fully. It's running 25-32% of CPU time in background. I even let it run overnight and it never completed it's load. No I do not have any addons like AntiSpamSniper. Yes I tried the /nologo command. No I don't have it in quotes. I've read all the threads about this issue. I'm not going to worry about the version because apparently this is happening regardless of the version. Any other brilliant suggestions?  

I just reinstalled Win 10 pro 64 bit from scratch and still TheBat! doesnt run after clean install on clean system, so i dont think it have to do with any 3rd party software. Something between Win 10 and Thebat! only by my guess..

I have the same problem on Windows 10 Home 64 bits. After installation, nothing happens, and 0% CPU in the task manager. I removed the registry key, I set /NOLOGO, I start as administrator, I tried 32 bits. Nothing.

Bye bye The Bat!. I paid a license for nothing on January 2018.

I try Thunderbird.

Hi Max,

I did not see your reply on 15 June 2018. At that time /nologo did get The Bat! to work for me. I had not yet installed AntiSpamSniper on this computer. Currently I am running 8.5.6 and it works on Windows 10 v. 1803 without /nologo.

But now I have a new problem: I am trying to install The Bat! 8.5.8 for the first time on my son's computer running Win 7 SP 1 64-bit. I am in a hurry to get this done so we can export his e-mail from an old version of Opera, create a BU The Bat! archive, and then install Win 10 1803 on his computer. But The Bat! does nothing after we ran it the first time and filled in the fields for his e-mail account. After we clicked Finish, that window closed, and nothing appeared. Running thebat64.exe with or without /nologo produced NOTHING, not the brief flash of the title screen I got when I had the problem starting The Bat! on my Win 10 computer in June.

Please advise.

I restarted the computer and tried to run The Bat! I got a message: "Failed to create folder 'G:\The Bat! Data'." G: is an encrypted drive where we had said we would store data. I had not yet mounted it. So we mounted G:, checked and found many items in that folder, but nothing specific to the account. Ran The Bat! and got the initial screen asking for info about the account, which I entered again. I tried to run the program, and it now displayed the window asking about assigning .eml and other file types to The Bat! When I clicked OK or Finish or whatever was required, the window closed and nothing else happened.

Decided to restart Windows before I tried to open The Bat! again. This time I remembered to mount G: first. I checked in Windows Explorer and could see that G:\The Bat! Data now has a folder for the e-mail account we set up. For some reason this folder was not set up on the first attempt.

Ran The Bat! -  as Administrator - just in case. It opened and asked for license. Entered it, and it opened!

Max, whenever I install The Bat!, I keep the data on a different drive. I used to actually install it to the encrypted drive, too, but now I install it on C:, as at some point you started allowing users to specify a different location for data files from the location for program files. I suspect that the problem I had today may have something to do with creating a user-specified location for data. I hope that clue might help you figure out why so many users have trouble getting it to run when they first install it. I have used your program for 5 years and think it is fantastic, so I did not give up, but new users are giving up.

In this process, a new item in the Start Menu appeared called simply "The Bat!" with default target. I had previously modified "The Bat! 64-bit" with /nologo. Both entries work, so I am deleting the one with /nologo, as that was not the issue here.

For others' reference, the version I installed, which is now working, is 8.5.8 (64-bit).

I'm still waiting to hear from someone at Ritlabs on this issue. It's been months since I've been able to use TheBat. Perhaps I need to look at an alternative to TheBat? Any suggestions?

Joel, have you tried running The Bat with elevated rights (as Admin)? Or tried running Windows in Safe Mode? Reinstalling The Bat with admin rights?

I have exactly the same problem.  The Bat loads and is seen in the Task Manager but the program will not show up in windows.. Nothing.  Not a thing.  Northing I have tried works..  /NOLOGO does nothing.
Pages: 1