Pages: 1
RSS
What format do you use?

Out of curiosity, I'd be interested in what format you primarily use when composing email - microed,  plain text, or html, html/text? And why?

I used to use only microed as I like word wrapping when viewing email (assuming sender's reply is configured to reply back in text) and also like configuring the reply levels with occasional emoji.

However, I've been beaten down and now use html for almost all emails since so many are using web based email and their replies frequently have formatting issues.

Of course, if I am honest, I've been around email since back before html first appeared and my didn't use it because it took longer to receive and send via dialup. Text seems so retro, which I like.  8)  

I've always been of the opinion that HTML is not email, it's an attached document, and that it's evil because it has enabled millions of malware infections (through obfuscated URLs) and because of privacy concerns (inline images). I only ever use it to send messages with extra large characters to an older relative.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

I am another plain text person, therefore use microEd (finger memory from Wordstar days) for e-mails. Will place an URL non-hidden in a new paragraph whenever possible (sometimes will use TinyURL if too long/linewraps)

I will attach anything not plaintext that requires to be non-text to the body indicating number of attachments.  

I think the HTML vs plain text war is mostly over. The majority of business email is HTML, even when no special features are used. Most of my friends have no idea what they're using - and don't care. I once was a hard-core purist for plain text, but no more. Virtually all email clients now have settings to protect users from unwanted graphics and malware. MS Outlook still creates emails of immense size, but I've found TB! and Thunderbird use minimal HTML. I use the plain text editor, as it provides word wrap and I like the full screen wrapping of emails. A feature I liked in Thunderbird is that its default sends plain text *unless* you change formatting, such as putting a word in italics. That lets the writer focus on content, and not on HTML vs plain text.

david

David,

Yes the HTML vs plain text 'war' is almost over that is true. As you state business will send out HTML since the message is basically an advertisement (imho) and new users will just use the default of the mail client.

The size issue is part of my reluctance (over 480K messages in the mailstore) , plus message may not display as expected depending on mail client (The Bat! vs Pegasus vs Outlook or any other IE based render). Then also with tracking via single pixel images, OK that they will track when you click on link since you are the one requesting. Block image downloads while displaying HTML content would be great.

I like the ability to use plain text, with the ability to fancy up a wee bit (how about MarkDown instead of HTML?) if the message benefits (not often). Majority is plaintext via microed. Say if a line starting with a TAB then '* ' (asterisk followed by one space) bullet list with indented paragraph (still being plaintext) . Indenting a paragraph that will reflow properly is a bonus.

Many ways for the The Bat to edit/display a message is a bonus. Also keeping the mailstore within reason (I am over 12 gig dating 1998-current).
An e-mail client is not  document management system, nor a web browser. Have to remember to tell myself that, sometimes I fail.

You thoughts/replies to questions are appreciated, you are a good resource. Thank you
Edited: Arnold DeRoy - 21 August 2018 23:06:46

Thank you for your kind words. I rarely think of 'html mail' anymore; I just write, so it's mostly plain text. I agree, writing a complex HTML message would be lost on some recipients and, although I appreciate the recent impressive HTML additions to TB!, I doubt I will use any of them - but those upgrades were likely to serve those who do. So, what little I use HTML it's for bold or italics and only rarely then. I avoid the Micro editor because I don't like email that wraps halfway across the screen. Just my personal preference. The plain text editor works perfectly for me, wrapping at right side of screen. As you said, it's not a document management system. If I have a significant amount of text to share, or feel the need for extra formatting, I create a document and attach it. Regards,
david
Pages: 1