Pages: 1
RSS
Backup, is configuration data still stored in Windows registry?

As title says, before some important settings were stored in the registry.
Thus, even if you had a safe, complete, tbk-file it was not possible to fully recover f.ex. after a hard-disk crash.
Is this still the case in 8.6?

I don't think that has changed. Fellow forum member David Kirk is offering a utility that can help with this issue:

https://davidkirk.org/thebat/
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Hi, thanks for the info.

I have a straight migration from desktop (in the sunroom, and it is getting cold) to clean, lean laptop/
With a few gigs of data.

METHOD A
If I use Tools-Backup that should work with all items included.  (Addresses, Filters, etc.)
Should I use the registry tool ? (either by necessity or backup.)

METHOD B
My Direct File Backup of my "E/Bat" location
Plus the Registry Tool Above.

Presumably "A" is the more applicable for this more vanilla need?

(And I probably should uninstall with Revo my existing blank shell application on the Laptop, to avoid some clashes or write-overs.)

Steven  

I suggest you first read the suggestions in my registry utility, as it represents the steps I took to do a full restore. Although I acknowledge other approaches can work.

david

Thanks, nice and elegant utility. I tested it and got my .reg file.

I'll probably do the live changeover shortly.  Although today I am on my sunroom puter! (I used Teamviewer or Anydesk when I am on the non-live puter.)

And I can see that your method is less likely to miss ... anything.  I do wonder if the official way often ends up needing the manual tweaking to fully regain settings.  Oh, that is in the OP.  What is an f.ex?

Clearly, the utility is dependent on the exact same path install, but I have standardized my email to an E;/ with TheBat! folders the same name.

=======================

SIDENOTE: It would be nice if Ritlabs had an .ini alternative to the registry.  Granted, that is what the Voyager portable is designed to do, as I understand.  My Linkman bookmark program gives you either/or.  I think Eudora is .ini only.  Anyway, with your utility, everything should be fine.

=======================

Additional Backup question.

Does TheBat! have any native way to create anything other than a proprietary backup folder .tbk.  Or do I go to Mailstore for that? .  

Reason I ask.  I accidentally have a few emails on the laptop, couple of hundred..  I want to put them aside and then restore them after my big 5 Gig restore is done.

a) Can I could put them in a folder with a unique name and then save to .tbk and then restore the .tbk after I am fully live? Telling it ONLY mail.
b) Use the free Mailstore Home?
c) Other way?

======================

Thanks !
Edited: Steven Avery - 18 November 2018 17:11:07
Pages: 1