Pages: 1
RSS
Version 9 upgrade if buying now?

In "upgrade policy" section there is a version 9 mentioned. If I buy current version now, will my license be valid for version 9 or any future versions in some set time period?

No. There is a period ending that prior sentence before mention of v9.0.. That paragraph reads:

"The Bat! license purchased from August 22, 2017 is valid for all The  Bat! versions 7 and all The Bat! versions 8. For The Bat! v9.0 and  higher these licenses will no longer be valid." and is at https://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/upgrade-policy.php  

However, there is never a required upgrade. After v9 is released, you can continue with v8 if you so desire.

david
Edited: david kirk - 10 December 2018 21:28:16

david kirk wrote:
you can continue with v8 if you so desire.
Nothing changed then. Windows 10 "feature updates" are breaking things even more often now. Not knowing, for how long will my purchase be supported, (as short as a month, maybe?) does not feel good.

Well, according to their website at https://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/archive-versions.php , they support all releases newer than 7.4, so I don't think you'll have a problem with support.

david

david kirk wrote:
they support all releases newer than 7.4
So You say, that there is a version 7.5, or higher 7.x,  which they support? Would You kindly point me to it, as I can not find it myself on Ritlabs page?

I'm not sure of your concern. You joined this forum over a year ago, just after ver 8 was released. And you're still hesitant to purchase. The URL I mentioned shows what is *not* supported and the inference is that later versions are. Ver 4 lasted 3 yrs, 5 lasted 2.5 years, vers 6 & 7 lasted 2 years each and ver 8 is just over 1 year. With your concern for not buying unitl a new release, you may need to wait several months or even a year until ver 9 - and that would require that you use a different email client while waiting. My suggestion is to use the 30-day trial wisely to ensure it works for you. When you purchase a license for software, you're buying the features available at the time of purchase, with hope that product will be supported as the technology emerges, but that is never a guarantee that a specific incident local to you will be fixed. Any software license purchase that has a limited period of support is always a gamble. But that is your best bet that the product will continue to be supported. Some products offer lifetime licenses, but with no ongoing influx of funds, support for those products generally dwindle. Good luck.

david  

david kirk wrote:
I'm not sure of your concern
My concern is not to loose support just after purchase. There are posts in this forum from people complaining for feeling "forced" to buy next major number version just after they had bought a lower one. I wish I could have some "time assurance". It was not always like that. After I have bought v.3 I have received free upgrade to v.4. That was OK. I would expect something like that now: next major number or time-frame assurance. And my next version desire is not about features, but about usability. I just have experienced my trusted The Bat! v.4 refusing to run at all with windows 10 updating to v.1809. I do not want to see my newly bought Bat v.8 doing just that with next windows "feature update", with the only solution being to buy v.9.

And as to using another email client: I am on Thunderbird for 2 days now. It took me some time to migrate all folders from The Bat. and T-bird is obviously much worse, but at least I am sure it will be supported. I still hope to justify my Bat v.8 purchase though. I keep the installation and files. But unless I feel really desperate - on recent conditions I will not do it.

I understand, having been in a position with a software product that didn't work and no support. My belief - which isn't the most popular - is that the best way to ensure ongling support and functionality is to purchase each new license after initial month or two. That ensures your use of it is always supported, it always works with current technology, and the developer is motivated to continue supporting and expanding the product. I figure it averages approximately $10 (U.S.) a year, but that is a small investment for continued support of something one relies heavily on. My first purchase of TB! was ver 7 in Feb 2017. There were several annoying little things, but it functioned well overall. When ver 8 came out later that year, I immediately upgraded and a few pesky little annoyances still remained, but I remained hopeful. Then, when 8.2 became available, everything worked perfectly. No more slow shutdowns and other slow annoyances. I'm not rich, but this is a small bit of insurance. This odds are in your favor on upgrading, and look at the time you spent struggling with Thunderbird. My suggestion is to just 'do it' - upgrade. If, perchance, ver 9 is announced the next day, I think the vendor would look kindly on your situation. Good luck.

david  

Almost three months before v8 was released, Ritlabs began selling licenses that included a free upgrade to v8.

2017 Aug 22: Availability of v8 upgrades announced
2017 Nov 13: The Bat v8 Announced
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

I found this thread because I just experienced a similar problem with The Bat! failing on Version 1809 of Windows 10.  I am running version 7.4.16 of The Bat!.  Nothing I found could fix the problem until I rolled back to Version 1803 of Windows.

I am in the process of retiring (at age 74), so I was trying to avoid upgrading software that I'll have less of a need in the future.  But if someone can confirm that the currently available The Bat! Version 8.7 will work with Windows v1909, I'll probably upgrade - otherwise ... not so much.

Of course Microsoft Win 10 is always in flux, hard for developers to code for patches they do not have full access to until patches hit the general users. RitLabs are pretty good in making a fix quickly. Yes there are items with IMAP or affect small number of users that are still waiting for a fix.

Microsoft stated for years (Win95 onwards) that Internet Explorer code could not be removed from Windows including Win10 due to how interconnected the OS and HTML rendering engine until they announced that the same Edge engine would be replaced with Chromium. Why could it not be removed from the Windows OS until they changed their minds.

Will mean a number of new challenges for developer. At least RitLabs use their own HTML engine unless the enduser selects the unsecure IE/Edge.

Have licenses from 1999/2000 thru now for The Bat! (plus Becky!, Pegasus, Pocomail, Intellect,  hate Outlook which I use at work) , The Bat for the must part handles my 11GB (450K) e-mail messages without lost. may be a small group of people, yet I support ongoing coding of The Bat/Voyager because I like how it works.

going back into lurk mode.

Richard Trump wrote:
I found this thread because I just experienced a similar problem with The Bat! failing on Version 1809 of Windows 10.  I am running version 7.4.16 of The Bat!.  Nothing I found could fix the problem until I rolled back to Version 1803 of Windows.

I am in the process of retiring (at age 74), so I was trying to avoid upgrading software that I'll have less of a need in the future.  But if someone can confirm that the currently available The Bat! Version 8.7 will work with Windows v1909, I'll probably upgrade - otherwise ... not so much.
Exactly the same problem occurs...(B  at age 67),  :D
Waiting for Fix. :cry:  

Announced today:

"Ritlabs, SRL starts selling licenses for The Bat! version 9.

Users who purchase a license for The Bat! starting from June 3, 2019 onwards will receive a registration key, which will be valid not only for The Bat! version 8, but also for The Bat! version 9.
"
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
Announced today:

" Ritlabs, SRL starts selling licenses for The Bat! version 9.

Users who purchase a license for The Bat! starting fr om June 3, 2019 onwards will receive a registration key, which will be valid not only for The Bat! version 8, but also for The Bat! version 9. "
And wh ere exactly is it? When to I go to the "Buy" page, whether I choose the "Upgrade" option (I'm on v7 atm) or the ""Purchase" option, I do no see anything pertaining to the vailidity to the license I am purchasing. It's not even on the main "Buy" page. Without this information given in detail at the time of purchase, with the only info being "to the latest version", it can always be argued that "it was a limited time action", or "it does not pertain to upgrades", "not for your country/region", etc. Shelling out 44€ for an upgrade 3 months before v9 comes out, thanks but no, I've already been there with v7 :).

So, in short, can we have the license validity information on the "Buy" page please?

The announcement was (is) on the News page.

Without this information given in detail at the time of purchase, with the only info being "to the latest version", it can always be argued that "it was a limited time action", or "it does not pertain to upgrades", "not for your country/region", etc.

If that's how you think about Ritlabs despite their 22 years of running a professional, ethical and responsive business, maybe you should not be using their products at all?
Pages: 1