Pages: 1
RSS
Smiley not showing in MicroEd

I don't know what I did but I did something.  In the past when I select Plain Text (Microed) I could insert graphical smileys. Now for some reason it only inserts text smileys as if I was using Windows plain text.

Anyone have an idea what would have changed?  Windows 10 and TB 8.6

See Options | Preferences | Viewer/Editor: View Plain Text Messages Using..

Choices there are: Plain Text Viewer (fast, no graphical smileys) or Rich Text/HTML Viewer (slower, with smileys).

Could that be it?
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

I already had that setting although I did try various other settings but it doesn't make a difference.

When composing an email my default is HTML/plain text and smileys show up as graphics with that setting. Changing to Plain text Microed (bottom of compose pane) it changes to a text based display.

I've also tried changing global settings as well as setting specific accounts to use only microed for compose and display but no graphics.

I checked another computer I haven't used in awhile which has v8.2.8 on it. It too behaves the same way. Now I don't know if it's a TB issue or Windows or my memory.

I've submitted a trouble ticket to support so we'll see which it it.

Maybe earlier TB! versions displayed to you as a graphic, but it wouldn't do that with other email clients unless they viewed as HTML and interpreted the plain text code into a graphic (which is what TB! does now with plain text messages). I'm thinking that's the only solution, as otherwise the smiley would have to fit within all character sets, e.g. UTF-8, and others. I'm curious to know tech support's response.  

david

I've always assumed that in html and microed the smiley displayed and sent is an actual .png file. I went back to 2017 on my computer (I use POP) and found a couple of my sent emails that had actual png's so I think I've confirmed that at some point TB did send actual smiley files. I don't usually send smiles so finding them took a little digging.

Seems to be my misunderstanding of difference between microed and windows plain text.  Not displaying a graphic is expected per support. Here's their reply.

MicroEd is a plain text editor and while inserting the smilies they will be displayed as text, that is all right. Then, when you put the message to "Outbox" or send it out, the text smiley will be displayed as graphics if you set The Bat! to use "Rich Text/HTML Viewer (slower, with smileys)" under the menu "Options\Preferences\Viewer/Editor -> View plain text messages using".
Pages: 1