Pages: 1
RSS
Gmail, what happens?, The Bat will don't work with Gmail account?

I have just received a Google email in my gmail accounts which warns me that, starting from 31 March 2019, I cannot longer access on my gmail inbox with The Bat because it does not comply with data privacy requirements (announced in date 8 October 2018).

Please, can someone explain me what is happening?
Thanks.

Same here. I need to be able to pull emails Gmail.. is Bat going to be compliant?

Ability to manage multiple IMAP accounts in one app was one of the features that drew me to this product over free alternatives. I'm currently only using 2 accounts, if I lose the ability to contact gmail, I might as well switch clients.

Is this going to be addresses?
Edited: CA Lazerdwarf - 22 March 2019 01:48:39

I think everyone with gmail accounts received this letters,
Maybe problem with Bat version? I have 7.1
I saw that theBat did some changes in security in last versions, but I'm not sure that it affected this problem.
It will be disaster for me, if gmail will not support Bat anymore.

In one account says "The Bat!" will be blocked, in the other "The Bat! v7".
I'm using 8.8.2,

Can Ritlabs confirm whether or not this is going to be ok for us?

If it doesn't, we have like 6 days to choose a new client.  WHich would really suck.

The fact that they have had since 10/18 to do something and is now silent on it , I believe, pretty much says it all.

Same here. Do you guys know a good email IMAP client I can migrate to?

Same here.
I'm using 8.8.2.
Is Bat going to be compliant?

Is Thunderbird compliant? I have a multitude of accounts which will need moving, several of them gmail. The one facility I find most useful in TheBat is the ability to pass an email to another program for processing automatically.  
Edited: John Hall - 22 March 2019 11:22:38 (New thought)

According to Ritlabs' tech support, they are already working on making the Bat compliant with Google's new requirements. I don't know anything more than that, so please don't ask.

Personally, I think Google has no right to limit the user's choice of email client this way. If they want to offer an email service on the internet, they must remain compliant with the relevant internet protocols like pop3 and imap. If those are not good enough for them, they can start their own network with their own rules.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

First, I think it's derelict of Ritlabs to have been adding soft features in past several months (such as resizing photos) while ignoring the criticality of this important issue. TB! is advertised for security awareness, yet TB! was much later than others in TLS updates and now this. On the question of other clients, Thunderbird is compliant and you might need that in the interim, but my hope is that Ritlabs comes through quickly. I wouldn't encourage anyone to do a full switch. On the long term, TB! is hard to beat.    

david

I received the mail from Google... Any solution? TIA

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
Personally, I think Google has no right to limit the user's choice of email client this way. If they want to offer an email service on the internet, they must remain compliant with the relevant internet protocols like pop3 and imap. If those are not good enough for them, they can start their own network with their own rules.
I agree with you!
In the last few months, Google was send me dozens of emails to warn that my "app" was not secure (The Bat!). I was blocked from accessing almost every week and they forced me to log in website to unlock my accounts. All this is shameful because, IMO, The Bat is the safest app that exists.

Google must stop throwing the law on everything!
I have long been fed up with all of Google's stuff, its advertising and privacy policies and the way it spy us.
Not to mention reCaptcha 3 that never works and makes me lose 10 minutes before accessing any site, making me choose traffic lights, hydrants, bridges, etc. that for him they are never right (I would petition to abolish it, since there are other Captcha systems of third parties that are more practical and safe).

Please, forgive me for my outburst.
Anyway, I hope Ritlab updates The Bat soon, but in any case this was the starting point for transferring and replace my Gmail accounts to other more secure providers. I'm looking around.

I use FASTMAIL which has both IMAP and POP access. It can synch with gmail calendar. FASTMAIL is faster than Gmail on delivery. Almost instantaneous due to low latency with USA servers.

Free and "professional" versions available. I use the Professional version to share contact info.

https://www.fastmail.com/

Bob Huddleston wrote:
I use FASTMAIL which has both IMAP and POP access. It can synch with gmail calendar. FASTMAIL is faster than Gmail on delivery. Almost instantaneous due to low latency with USA servers.
Free and "professional" versions available. I use the Professional version to share contact info.
Fastmail doesn't seem free to me. We need free accounts such as Outlook.com and Yahoo.
There are many other free providers but they don't let you use POP/IMAP if you don't pay...
In any case, regardless of everything, with my The Bat I MUST also be able to access a Gmail account, even if it is not my main account. The Bat must be able to get me into it.

I noticed this comment on the beta site:

"All  existing versions of TheBat! which are work with Gmail for the moment -  will work after end of month without any actions from user's site.
No need to do any action or update application. TheBat is being reverified by Google"  

So maybe we're overreacting. Ritlabs is taking this seriously and the problem may disappear.  

david

p.s. but if your email is vital for every day, such as business, setting up a temporary Thunderbird client may be good insurance.  

miele wrote:
Bob Huddleston wrote:
I use FASTMAIL which has ...
Fastmail doesn't seem free to me...
Fastmail  has became a problem as the cost of their mailbox have increased  from  $5/year to $30/year over the last 5 years.
The  founders caved in for a sweat offer and sold themselves to European  Opera. Soon after the deal broke, and founders bought their share  back, acquired postbox, and listbox. Along with that came debts and bureaucracy.
As a result the fastmail is no longer fast, nor did it got any close to being affordable. Their web "eye candy" interface is sluggish, and  such a waste of space of my 1920x1200 screen resolution. Last, but not  least, their web interface does not allow exporting an email as *.eml  file to your desktop.
I'm cancelling my subscription this year, and that is after being a customer of Fastmail for 8 years, btw.
Edited: Pavel Koulikov - 22 March 2019 16:53:38

Received the same message from Gmail. Let's wait and see what happens...

I just received a reply from TB! Support:

"
Time: 03/22/2019 14:33:12

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

We have already made the necessary changes to insure The Bat! is  compliant with the Google's updated data privacy requirements so that  you can continue using The Bat! with Gmail and Google Contacts after  March 31 as well."

John Hall wrote:
Is Thunderbird compliant? I have a multitude of accounts which will need moving, several of them gmail. The one facility I find most useful in TheBat is the ability to pass an email to another program for processing automatically.  
I've already migrated to Thunderbird, Works fine.

From TB Beta ML:

"We have submitted this URL to Google. We hope they will approve The Bat! to use Google API after March 31st, so the users of The Bat! will be able to access Google accounts like Gmail without interruption."

I "hope" too.
Edited: miele - 25 March 2019 00:54:04

So after all, it looks like this is connected to my issue I posted a few weeks back.

https://www.ritlabs.com/en/forums/forum4/topic13675/ - Gmail asking me to re-auth almost every week.

It looks like user 'miele' have had the same issue. I hope this new policy from Google forces TheBat team to do something about it.

I appreciate any update from current users after 31st of March.
Edited: Bejka Beka - 27 March 2019 18:26:16

Until today 2nd April, everything seems to continue to work well with Gmail.
Thanks Ritlabs.
Go on like this!

I have just went through re-authentication of all accounts (I gave up sometime in February and used Thunderbird instead).

Let's see how long will the auth continue to be working.

03/04 update - well, all authorizations stopped working. I officially give up with this software, back to Thunderbird.
Edited: Bejka Beka - 03 April 2019 19:59:07
Pages: 1