Pages: 1
RSS
putting mail boxes on my NAS, mailboxes moved to NAS

i have latest pro ver of TheBat! .  

would like to put my mailboxes onto my local NAS so i can access email on any machine at home.

is this doable? any gotcha's to look out for if doing this?

Well, Options | Preferences | System | Mail Directory specifies the location of your mail. But The Bat is not a multi-user application, and I'd be very careful not to open the same messagebase with more than one instance of The Bat at the same time (or you might ruin some indexes and damage the database).
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

As above poster said, this is easily do-able.

Just set the Mail Directory as a network drive (mapped drive letter), or just a network location "\\NAS\Directory" for example

https://www.howtogeek.com/school/windows-network-sharing/lesson8/

The warnings about not-a-multi-user application applies, I suppose, but I do not know what will happen. It may be OK, it may be fine 99% of the time, but there's that 1% chance no one knows.

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
Well,  Options | Preferences | System | Mail Directory  specifies the location of your mail. But The Bat is not a multi-user application, and I'd be  very  careful not to open the same messagebase with more than one instance of The Bat at the same time (or you might ruin some indexes and damage the database).
apologies for such a late reply. guess i forgot to subscribe to topic and just now revisiting.
i wouldn't have have more than one instance at a time here at home but i'm glad you informed me of this just in case so i can be more cognizant of it.

i make backups of the email message bases/accounts to the NAS but had thought why not just put those on the NAS and access that from various computers here at home vs having to always use one particular computer for that. wouldn't want to mess up the account databases though and appreciate your feedback on this.

Derek Fields wrote:
As above poster said, this is easily do-able.

Just set the Mail Directory as a network drive (mapped drive letter), or just a network location "\\NAS\Directory" for example

https://www.howtogeek.com/school/windows-network-sharing/lesson8/

The warnings about not-a-multi-user application applies, I suppose, but I do not know what will happen. It may be OK, it may be fine 99% of the time, but there's that 1% chance no one knows.
i'll add another apology to you also for such a late reply.
that <=1% is certainly what i want to avoid. ;-)  thanks for your feedback and link.
Pages: 1