Pages: 1
RSS
Email missing when copy and past from POP3 to IMAP

Hello All,

I'm trying to migrate from a POP3 to an IMAP account.
So I've created a new IMAP account.
And as I understand, I've go to copy and past content of each folders and sub-folders from the old POP3 to the new IMAP account.
https://www.ritlabs.com/en/forums/forum4/topic13669/message46753/#message46753
https://www.ritlabs.com/en/forums/forum4/topic13604/message46538/#message46538

Trouble is that when I'm doing that, only a part of the messages are effectively pasted in the target IMAP folder.

For instance, there's 17 messages in the folder A of the POP3 account.
When I copy these 17 messages, and past them in the folder A of the IMAP account, there's only 12 messages that are pasted.

I can identify the missing messages, but I can not see any raison why they're discarded.
Any way, it's not the oldest messages, it's messages somewhere in between that are missing.

That's just an example, it's the same with all folders, some of which contains a lot more messages (48'500 messages in total).

Any idea what's going wrong ?

Thanks for any help !
       damien

PS: I'm using The Bat! Professional Edition, Version 7.4.16 (64-bit).

Having not seen your explicit steps, it's hard to guess about the problem. Have you tried just copying from the POP3 account to the IMAP account? When you state you 'copied and pasted' I infer you were using Windows tools, but I think you may do better by copying TB! folder content so that TB! is involved. I've never used POP3 with TB!, but it's my best guess for you. Good luck.

david
Edited: david kirk - 24 August 2019 17:06:50

Hello David,

Thanks a lot for your quick replay

> Having not seen your explicit steps, it's hard to guess about the problem. <
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Excuse me.

> Have you tried just copying from the POP3 account to the IMAP account? <
Well, that's what I had:
- My email address is MyEmail@MyDomaine.com
- Since several years, I manage emails of this account with The Bat! (I'm pleased of it).
- In TB!, the account name for this email address is MyAccount_POP3.

And there's what I did:
- Before switching to IMAP, I changed the password of MyEmail@MyDomaine.com on MyDomaine.com.
 (That was to prevent MyAccount_POP3 to access my emails from now on.)
- Then, in TB! I created a new account named MyAccount_IMAP.
- I set new password and correct setting to this account.
- Then I tried to copy messages, proceeding as Daniel van Rooijen recommend:
"... simply select all messages in a folder, then drag and drop them into an identically named new folder in the IMAP account? (with Ctrl held down so it copies rather than moves the messages ...)
https://www.ritlabs.com/en/forums/forum4/topic13604/message46537/#message46537
- It's while doing so that I noticed that some messages didn't past in the target folder.
- If I connect to my email account by webmail, for a check, I can see the same pasted messages in the folders.
 (The missing ones are also messing on the webmail.)

So, there's my trouble, and I don't know how to solve that.

Thanks a lot before hand for further help !
       damien

> I've never used POP3 with TB!, but it's my best guess for you. <
It's very kind of you !

Please clarify what you see via webmail. It seems you're saying all the messages are there? If you attempt to move the missing messages a second time, do they get moved?  Are you attempting to move large folders at once, or a few messages at a time? (There may be a timing issue if volume is high.) Converting to IMAP is not trivial and many abandon the attempt because of the task of moving. Maybe moving a few messages at a time over several days will work. Good luck.

I wonder if things would go differently if you try to do the copying/pasting when there is no internet connection? That way, The Bat cannot synchronize the folders and messages with the mailserver (until later), and so, the synching process cannot interfere with the copying.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Hello David and Daniel,

> DK: Please clarify what you see via webmail. <
In the Webmail, I see the same messages that I see in MyAccount_IMAP into The Bat!
That's missing messages in MyAccount_IMAP in The Bat! are also missing in the WebMail.

> If you attempt to move the missing messages a second time, do they get moved? <
Unfortunately no.

> Are you attempting to move large folders at once, or a few messages at a time? <
So far, I've only copy folders with few messages, because it's easier to monitor and understand what's happen.
Some folders I've copied content less then ten massages, other a few dozen, other a hundred, the largest 319.
Unsurprisingly, the less messages in a source folder (POP3 account), the less missing in the target folder (IMAP account).

Of course, I've got also folders with a few thousand e-mail messages, but I didn't tried to copy them so far.
First I want to clarify what's happen and find the safest way to do the transfer.

> (There may be a timing issue if volume is high.) <
Yes, that happened some time to e-mail messages with large attached files.
But it was only some exceptions. Must e-mail missing messages was still missing three days later.

> Converting to IMAP is not trivial and many abandon the attempt because of the task of moving. <
The task of moving from POP3 to IMAP is laborious, I can see it, and I can do wit it.
But it has to be safe. And I have some doubts on this point.

> DvR: I wonder if things would go differently if you try to do the copying/pasting when there is no internet connection? <
Well, I've tried it* also, but The Bat! systematically ask for password or Internet connexion when I tried to copy, drag and drop + Ctrl, etc. into the folders of the IMAP account.
* To disconnect from Internet, I experiment theses methods:
       - Command Account/IMAP Commands/Disconnect from server.
       - Uncheck Subscription for all folders and sub-folders: IMAP Commands / Manage IMAP folders .
       - Deleting the password of the IMAP account in The Bat!
       - Unplugging the router.
Each time, The Bat! reconnected, or asked for password or for Internet connexion.

> That way, The Bat cannot synchronize the folders and messages with the mailserver (until later), and so, the synching process cannot interfere with the copying. <
I understand, it'll be great, but is it a way to work offline in the local folders of an IMAP account ?

> I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. <
It's very kind of you !

I've also tried to save The Bat! POP3 folder content into *.mbox files (Tools / Export messages to / UNIX Mailbox), and then Import the saved files into The Bat! IMAP folders.
Well, it seams that there's a little less missing messages. But there's missing messages any way.

I'm going crazy.

By now, I'm experimenting importing via ThunderBird.
It seams better.
If it's conclusive, I'll describe the process tomorrow.

Thanks to both of you for your help !
Kind regards from Switzerland,
       damien

NB: English isn't my mother tong, you've probably guessed, but I hope you'll understand my writing.

Hi Damien: Your English looks perfectly fine to me and I have no problems following you.

Just another thought: Have you tried Folder | Browse Deleted Messages in one of the imported folders? I wonder if maybe the missing messages have been imported and then deleted, instead of having not been imported at all.

Also, it would be interesting to find out if the missing messages have something in common.

Well, best of luck!
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Hello Daniel,

> Your English looks perfectly fine to me and I have no problems following you. <
Thanks ;-)

> Just another thought: Have you tried Folder / Browse Deleted Messages in one of the imported folders?
> I wonder if maybe the missing messages have been imported and then deleted, instead of having not been imported at all. <
It's a good idea, and I didn't thought of it before.
So I tried it right now, but unfortunately there's no deleted messages showing.

> Also, it would be interesting to find out if the missing messages have something in common. <
That's what I've been trying to elucidate.
But unfortunately I'm unable to identify any rules.
       - Some messages are old and other are more recent.
       - Some messages have attached files, some not.
       - But successfully copied messages also some time attached files.
       - Some attached files are larges, some are small.
       - Same for successfully copied messages.
       - Same for Senders, missing messages
       - ... and so on.

Thanks again !
       damien

NB: Fortunately it's batter via ThunderBird, as I explain it on this new topic:
https://www.ritlabs.com/en/auth-forums/forum4/topic13970/
Edited: Damien Clement - 31 August 2019 20:38:02
Pages: 1