Pages: 1
RSS
Access violation

Hi,

I installed TheBat (I have got a 8.8.9 version) on a brand new Windows 10 and I am getting way more errors than before on my old Windows 7

The most common one is an "Access violation at address..." see https://drive.google.com/file/d/12eAaTWgzAB3kAzhYR-Gf4vNzBJMtej-v/view?usp=drivesdk

Anything I should look at ?  

Only the developers can make sense of that memory address, so I'd report this to them using 'Support' in the menu above.

In the meantime, I would disable any plug-ins, disable the mail ticker, launch The Bat with " /nologo" (without the quotes) on the commandline, or try some of the many suggestions that were made in this previous thread: https://www.ritlabs.com/en/auth-forums/forum4/topic13320/

If you'd like to discuss this issue further here, please mention what you were doing or what was happening when you received this error.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Thank you Daniel. I am using the /nologo now to see how it goes.

Do you know if the 9.x version is more stable on Windows 10 ?

Jean-Luc
TheBat's user since 2001

>> Do you know if the 9.x version is more stable on Windows 10 ?
I prefer 8.8.9. Version 9 is RAW now - you can't apply your own shortcuts or create your own buttons (with icons).
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

I share George's thoughts. I also run 8.8.9, although I have PC set to run both. Ver 9, in my opinion, was released too soon. Great vision for new features, but they're not there. What we have in ver 9 is a stable platform, but inferior (again, in my opinion) to version 8.8.9. I don't regret paying for the upgrade because I have confidence the developers will eventually fix the product and deliver the new features, but that seems a distant future. For now, I use 8.8.9 with occasional forays with ver 9.

Having said this, I cannot answer the original poster's question on stability. He may want to try version 9 in trial mode. That requires backing up current version first, but if 8.8.9 isn't working, that seems a way forward. Good luck.
david

Thanks you, I'll stick with my 8.8.9 version then. Since starting with the /nologo parameter it hasn't crashed but it has been only half a day.

corobori2005 wrote:
Since starting with the /nologo parameter it hasn't crashed but it has been only half a day.  

Did the crashes happen at startup? If so, /nologo has probably solved them for you.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Have you tried deleting config.cdb
I had a  violation issue too, now it gone!
It also fixed my very long startup and shutdown of the bat!
config.cdb was first 1.5 gb now 33kb  now that saving space hahahahaha

hope it works for you too!

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
corobori2005 wrote:
Since starting with the /nologo parameter it hasn't crashed but it has been only half a day.  

Did the crashes happen at startup? If so, /nologo has probably solved them for you.
No, the crashes didn't happen at startup. At the beginning I had the feeling it was better but as you said it didn't solved the issue, apparently it's back 2x already today and it's only 10AM. I posted a ticket with support

Douwe de Vries wrote:
I had a  violation issue too, now it gone!
It also fixed my very long startup and shutdown of the bat!
config.cdb was first 1.5 gb now 33kb  now that saving space hahahahaha

hope it works for you too!
Mine is 220kb. Do you know what it contains ? Last time it was updated appears to be more than 1 month ago right the day I installed TheBat on that new notebook

corobori2005
I also started to get access violation errors with 8.8.9 on Windows 7 (had 7.4. before). It always crashed after "Processing folder" dialog showed up - which I don't know why it started, when I had this func turned off.
Anyway 9.1.6 solved that problem, now on W7 it's going without problem.
I'm just missing small icon panel toolbar.
Maybe that suggestion would help?
Douwe de Vries wrote:
I would also like to try back 8.8.9 but cannot find config.cdb file...where is it located?
Edited: Martin Kudela - 27 March 2020 12:08:02

It's in the mail folder.  

david kirk wrote:
It's in the mail folder.  

Or, if he is using The Bat's encryption feature, it may be there by the name CONFIG.EDB.

Guys, I'm not using encryption, and still can't find config.cdb anywhere in account's folder or even The Bat! folder in Program Files...
Today BAT crashed twice - with error access violation and also new error "Invalid pointer operation."...
Edited: Martin Kudela - 03 April 2020 16:36:18

Are you positive? Suggestion: Go to Options | Preferences | System and check which folder is your "Mail folder". Then open Explorer (or a file manager), go to that folder and look for files named config*.* there and in its subfolders.

OK Daniel, I found it in %APPDATA%\The Bat!\ and deleted config.cdb so we will see.
Meanwhile I sometimes get another error "invalid pointer operation", well maybe that will be also solved by removing config file.
Pages: 1