Pages: 1
RSS
How to enable concurent connections?, Even with a 999 limit on concurrent tasks, The Bat! appear to only process one connection at a time

Hello,

Testing The Bat! v.9 to see if it is worth.

Configured with only one GMail account.

Configured to download entire message, since I regularly need to search historic messages.

Left computer running since yesterday and I don't think it downloaded even 20% of messages. On connection center I see that The Bat appear to be processing one task at a time (Running tasks area), having only one connection open and thousands queued, even though I've configured concurrent connections limit at 999 (tried other values also: 10, 100, etc. Same results).

Whats going on? How can I "force" The Bat to open multiple connections and download several emails in parallel?

Thanks & Regards,

- Cristiano

What happens when you simply un-mark the "Allow up to .. connections" setting (in Account Properties | Mail Management | IMAP Fine-tune)  instead of setting a value?

The only other potential limitation that I can think of is in Options | Network & Administration | Network: Limit Concurrent Tasks in the Connection Center. I don't use IMAP though, so I don't know if your connections to Gmail each show separately in the connection center.

Could Gmail itself be imposing a limit?
Is there anything on your system that might interfere (firewall, antivirus)? If so, I'd test with those off, and if that doesn't help, talk to Ritlabs' support.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
What happens when you simply un-mark the "Allow up to .. connections" setting (in Account Properties | Mail Management | IMAP Fine-tune)  instead of setting a value?

The only other potential limitation that I can think of is in Options | Network & Administration | Network: Limit Concurrent Tasks in the Connection Center. I don't use IMAP though, so I don't know if your connections to Gmail each show separately in the connection center.

Could Gmail itself be imposing a limit?
Is there anything on your system that might interfere (firewall, antivirus)? If so, I'd test with those off, and if that doesn't help, talk to Ritlabs' support.
Hello,

Un-marking "Allow up to..." has no effect. Marking it and setting to GMail current maximum number of simultaneous connections (15) has the effect of opening concurrent connection for folders only, not messages; explaining better:

The Bat will open one connection per IMAP folder and perform all operations for each folder in its own task/connection.

For me, this is dumb, since we all tend to have at least one folder that holds most or a large number of e-mails (Archive, All mails, etc). The effect is that, in connection center, you see several multiple connection tasks, one per folder, all but one in IDLE state since all messages for these folders have been downloaded already, while the big folder connection is being reused over and over again to download messages individually, one ... by... ONE!.

In my view, concurrent connections should be global, available to be used to sync folder message list, download individual messages, etc, with Inbox related connections having high priority in the list. None of the possible 15 simultaneous connections of GMail, for example, should be wasted in IDLE tasks as it is today.

Thanks!

- Cristiano

Yes - that would make sense. But I've googled around a little, and it seems that other mail clients such as Thunderbird only open one connection per folder, too, and that some IMAP servers do not even allow more than one connection per folder (in addition to limiting the number of connections per IP and/or per account). So, implementing a faster, more intelligent method may be easier said than done.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
Yes - that would make sense. But I've googled around a little, and it seems that other mail clients such as Thunderbird only open one connection per folder, too, and that some IMAP servers do not even allow more than one connection per folder (in addition to limiting the number of connections per IP and/or per account). So, implementing a faster, more intelligent method may be easier said than done.
Understood.

Enabling per folder connection on "IMAP Fine Tune / Allow up to.. connections" improved overall performance a lot and this is ok now.

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

- Cristiano
Pages: 1