Pages: 1
RSS
Changing Return address

I have some non-The Bat accounts that I have set up to forward their e-mails to The Bat.

Can I reply to these e-mails from The Bat using the e-mail address that forwarded the e-mail
to The Bat?

So in essence, if Person A sent an e-mail to me (Person B) at let's say, a Gmail account, and I have set up Gmail
to forward that e-mail to an address I have with The Bat, can I reply to Person A from The Bat, so they see
my Person B address (in this case a Gmail address)?

If so, can you please tell me how I can do it?
If not, can you please tell me why The Bat does not have this feature?

You can do filter to store messages in some folder from "Person B"

Than you're need to do this - https://content.screencast.com/users/george2534/folders/Snagit/media/4ba702cf-7aaa-4fcf-9aa0-548caeee9543/10.01.2020-11.19.jpg
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

Can I reply to these e-mails from The Bat using the e-mail address that forwarded the e-mail to The Bat?

In addition to the method that George suggested:

You could add your Gmail account to The Bat and not make it retrieve any mail. But it would allow you to respond from it.

Or you could just edit the From: field of your reply, but I'm not sure if your internet provider will accept that. I guess you would have to try by sending such a message to yourself.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

My guess on why TB! does not provide this feature is because it promotes spam. Most ISPs have set their smtp servers to verify that the email account being used to send a message is a valid account for the ISP, and your example would violate that.  An error code 553 is typical.

George Salnik wrote:
You can do filter to store messages in some folder from "Person B"

Than you're need to do this -  https://content.screencast.com/users/george2534/folders/Snagit/media/4ba702cf-7aaa-4fcf-9aa0-548caeee9543/10.01.2020-11.19.jpg
Thanks George, this worked kind of.
I was able to send messages with the Person B address showing as sender.
However if they receiver wanted to investigate, they would find the parent address of Person B showing as Return Path <xxxxx@xxxxx.com>
So they would have two addresses.

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
Can I reply to these e-mails from The Bat using the e-mail address that forwarded the e-mail to The Bat?

In addition to the method that George suggested:

You could add your Gmail account to The Bat and not make it retrieve any mail. But it would allow you to respond from it.

Or you could just edit the From: field of your reply, but I'm not sure if your internet provider will accept that. I guess you would have to try by sending such a message to yourself.
Thanks Daniel. I just tried your suggestion.
It didn't work because my ISP wouldn't allow the message to be sent with that Person B address.

david kirk wrote:
My guess on why TB! does not provide this feature is because it promotes spam. Most ISPs have set their smtp servers to verify that the email account being used to send a message is a valid account for the ISP, and your example would violate that.  An error code 553 is typical.
Yes you are basically right.
However I was able to find a compromise solution (see above).

Mad Batter wrote:
However if they receiver wanted to investigate, they would find the parent address of Person B showing as Return Path  xxxxx@xxxxx.com >
Are you have postbox of PersonB in your TheBat? If you have it than you will have PersonB instead xxxxx@xxxxx.com

Even if all emails from personA and personB is one box (aliases) you not lose anything if add personB box without receiving emails in the settings. Especial for sending your letters from box that you're need it.
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

That's what I thought, too.

If you want to include that account in The Bat without retrieving messages from it, you can use these options in its Account Properties:

- Check mailbox at startup OFF
- Periodical checking OFF
- Ignore 'check all accounts' request ON

and under Mail Management (still in the Account properties):

- Leave Messages on Server ON

This is in case you should ever mistakenly retrieve mail for that account by pressing F2 - then those messages (if any) will also stay available online.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Maybe you can even leave out your name and password and the server name under Transport | Receive Mail -- I've never tried that. But if it works, you can be doubly sure that no mail will ever be retrieved from that account! :)
Pages: 1