Pages: 1
RSS
Configure 'From' column in message list

Older TheBat! (through version 7.x that I tried) would show the 'From' column in the message list as the quoted part of the From: header (only falling back to the raw email address if there was no quoted part), and the 'From (email)' column as the email address always.

A lot of redirectors and lists provide a sensible quoted value, but use the same email address for all messages.

For example, I use a redirection service so I can provide disposable email addresses to vendors who have yet to earn my trust, but with whom I am considering doing business.  This service will allow me to easily and with no remorse kill the address I gave to them if they start spamming me or sell it to others, and to know exactly who did it, so I can avoid them in the future.

In older TheBat!, it would look like this:
Header From: "Business 'messages-noreply@business.com' via xxxx" <xxxx@xxxx.com>
Message List From: Business 'messages-noreply@business.com' via xxxx
Message List From(email): xxxx@xxxx.com

But in TheBat! 9, it looks like this:
Header From: "Business 'messages-noreply@business.com' via xxxx" <xxxx@xxxx.com>
Message List From: xxxx@xxxx.com
Message List From(email): xxxx@xxxx.com

For personal email addresses, it seems to operate as normal.  Both versions will act the same for such:
Header From: "Someone Else" <someone@else.net>
Message List From: Someone Else
Message List From(email): someone@else.net

It seems like TheBat! 9 has this parsing done during receipt, instead of when displaying -- older messages (received before I installed v9) look the same as before even in TB9, but messages received using TB9 are parsed in the new way.

Is there some way to get the old behaivour back?  It was a lot easier to see who sent the message when the receive code did not throw away the quoted part of the From: header, replacing it with the email address alone.

I'm still using v8. The only possibly relevant/related settings that I can think of are:

Options | Preferences | Message List | "Use Address Book display names"
Options | Preferences | Viewer/Editor | Message List

But maybe you're right and the difference is caused during the parsing of incoming messages. It seems a lot of changes 'under the hood' have been made recently. In that case, and if nobody else has a better explanation, I think you'd best submit your question to Support from the menu above.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.
Pages: 1