Pages: 1
RSS
Help! Migrating to IMAP

I need to migrate my account to IMAP from pop3 method.   The problem is that I've got heaps of directories & filters locally stored.

I'm wondering, how can I

- change the account to IMAP (I know I can create a new one...)
- or how can I migrate my folders & filters to a new IMAP account without too much dramas?

Thanks for any help, gents.

>> filters
You can copy-paste your filters one by one to the new email box

>> I know I can create a new one...
Do it! There is no magic button pop3 to imap. You're need to create new box

>>  folders
Here you go too with copy/paste. Don't be nervous, that thing will eat many time. Don't forget to do full backup before any manipulations with your old base of letters.
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

This is a help page I created that you may find helpful:  https://davidkirk.org/thebatpoptoimap/  

good luck.

david

@George I know you're trying to be funny but you're not, I'm sorry.  

@david thanks, looks like it's still a one-by-one operation.  

Is there any recommended tool you guys know of? An automatic tool, that is.

I'm not adverse to paying, since I'd lose more money by spending hours on this, that is essentially a non-option.

Steve, people have been seeking that solution here for years and, to my knowledge, the path through Thunderbird is the shortest one. I have suggested to RIT that such a conversion tool is desired, but that's just an idea for now.

david

>>  I know you're trying to be funny
English isn't my native language. Please pardon me if you think that I'm laugh on you. No it is not, I'm serious - you don't have any other way than create IMAP-box in the settings as parallel box and than you're need to do copy/paste all your messages.

This is not a problem. I have in TB! my main email box as pop3 and as imap in parallel and this thing works from 2012 year minimum. I do prefer to store old messages in pop3 box and TB!-folders; and have in parallel imap with 6 months old messages on the post-server with imap (this is some way for have backup for the new messages and work with emails on mobile phone when need it).
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

david kirk wrote:
Steve, people have been seeking that solution here for years and, to my knowledge, the path through Thunderbird is the shortest one. I have suggested to RIT that such a conversion tool is desired, but that's just an idea for now.

david
Gosh, that's disappointing.  Thanks for the info!
I agree, such a tool would be highly desirable.  Even as a paid extra / standalone tool.

@george; apologies, it just sounded a bit snide to me - maybe due to the bad news, party - thanks for the clarification and the extra info!

Seesh...I've just realised I'll lose my coloured messages, too.  Far out, this is going to hurt for a long time.
Edited: Steve Horvath - 14 October 2020 02:57:49
Pages: 1