Pages: 1
RSS
Unable to to send/receive after moving website, TB can't send/receive from server but other email clients can?

So I changed hosts for my website, and I'm trying to get my email set up on the new server. The problem is, TB doesn't want to send and/or receive mail to/from the new server.  However.... other email clients have no problem with it.  So I have to assume there is something wrong with TB, but I can't figure out what it is.

I definitely use the correct credentials, because other email clients are fine.

I get either a handshake error, or a certificate error, or it simply cannot connect at all (various errors depending on the various things I tried with the credentials).

Again, none of these issues occur with other clients. Seriously hoping I don't have to change clients after so many years with TB. Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated!  

POP or IMAP?
Which specific errors are you getting?
Which version of The Bat?
Are you running any firewall software that may not allow TB to connect to the new host?

In the Options section of the account properties, you can turn 'verbose logging' on, which may provide more clues as to why things aren't working.

When you expand the Transport section of the account properties, you can turn 'protocol logging' on, for even more potentially useful information.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

My apologies for the lack of information.

TB Version: 6.8.8 (32-bit) - cannot afford to upgrade at this time.
Mail protocol: POP3
Firewall: whatever the Windows 10 default is. Never had a problem with it for anything else I do.

Checking email gives me this error:
2020-12-16, 10:53:25: FETCH - receiving mail messages
2020-12-16, 10:53:25: FETCH - Connecting to POP3 server mail.de.opalstack.com on port 995
2020-12-16, 10:53:25: FETCH - Initiating TLS handshake
!2020-12-16, 10:53:25: FETCH - TLS handshake failure. Connect failed

I enabled verbose logging.
Also enabled protocol logging, which is supposed to be found in these two files, but they don't seem to exist?
C:\Users\[pcuser]\AppData\Roaming\The Bat!\[email username]\POP.log
C:\Users\[pcuser\AppData\Roaming\The Bat!\[email username]\SMTP.log

Sending email gives me this error:
2020-12-16, 10:58:44: SEND  - sending mail message(s) - 1 message(s) in queue
2020-12-16, 10:58:44: SEND  - Connecting to SMTP server smtp.de.opalstack.com on port 587
2020-12-16, 10:58:44: SEND  - Initiating TLS handshake
!2020-12-16, 10:58:44: SEND  - TLS protocol error: Unexpected message SessionUnknownContentType ct (50).
Edited: cbiweb - 16 December 2020 17:11:10

I suspect that the problem is that your version of The Bat does not support certain modern encryption ciphers. This has also caused problems in 2018 for gmail users, including myself. Version 8.4 and higher have command-line options that somehow help solve the problem, but that won't help you:

v8.4: "/TLS_DISABLE_PERFECT_FORWARD_SECRECY" to disable perfect forward secrecy
v8.5.8: The /TLS_DISABLE_ECDHE command line option to disable elliptic curve Diffie-Hellman ephemeral key agreement cipher suites on TLS

Is there anything that you could do server-side? e.g. not require those latest elliptic cipher suits?

p.s.: For sending maybe you can use your internet provider's SMTP server instead of your own?
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Thank you for the help.  I see that there is a 30-day trial for the latest version? Is that for new users or do I get the same trial for upgrading? If I had 30 days to pay, I could make it happen.  Really hate to leave TB!

Also, is there anything I should know about upgrading from 6.x to 9.x?

>>Also, is there anything I should know about upgrading from 6.x to 9.x?
Don't forget to do full backup before upgrade.
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

Upgrading seems to have resolved the issue.  Thanks!
Pages: 1