Pages: 1
RSS
How to get Enter to open email, The Enter key no longer opens highlighted email

Okay, I'm sure this used to work, but it doesn't anymore. Sometimes I navigate through my message list using the keyboard, so the easiest way to open a message is using Enter. For some reason, that no longer works. I don't think I changed anything, and if I did, I have no idea what it could be.

I tried to customize and added an "open" option to the message menu, then assigned the Enter key to that. Now if I press Enter while I'm writing a message, it opens a copy of whatever message was highlighted in the list. Anybody have a theory as to how I can get Enter to work opening a message without it working incorrectly while I'm actually typing?

Thanks!

I don't have such a thing. On my side Enter opens selected message.
TB! 9.3.4

Did you try to reinstall your TheBat?
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

George, I'm trying to avoid it if possible, since I changed some of the hotkeys. I know, I might have changed the behavior for Enter when I did that, but I swear Enter was still working after I made those changes. If I can't figure it out soon, I'll either re-install or just let it be. It's an inconvenience, not a deal breaker. Thanks!

Warner: Maybe you could try to locate and rename CONFIG.CDB to CONFIG-CDB.OLD (when The Bat is not running). This file holds hotkey definitions but in rare cases gets corrupted. When you re-launch The Bat, it will create a new CONFIG.CDB that holds default settings. If it doesn't help, you can rename it back (again while The Bat is not running).

Note: CONFIG.CDB contains settings for system hotkeys, viewing modes and message list tabs, and possibly some other settings. So, any customisations that you've made in those would likely be lost when you replace the file.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Hmm, very strange. I renamed Config.cdb as you suggested, and it certainly removed all my customizations. But Enter still doesn't work. I'm trying to think if there's any software running that might intercept the Enter key, but if so, then it only blocks the Enter key when I'm in The Bat's message list, which seems way too specific. Anyway, thanks all for your help. I'll keep trying different things.

Maybe try booting Windows in safe mode, so it won't launch any programs that run in the background? If that solves it, use a utility like SysInternals Autoruns (freeware at microsoft.com) to configure which programs get launched at startup and which won't, so you can isolate the offender.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel, I tried Safe Mode, which didn't make any difference, but thanks. I did discover something weird, although I don't know if this is new behavior or if it's always been this way: If I'm in the folder list and press Enter, it will open the message that's currently highlighted in the message list. But Enter in the message list still has no effect.

I did try uninstall/re-install, which didn't do anything, either. At this point, I'll just live with it unless I can think of something else to try.

Ask support about it. May be they know something about.
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

Warner Y wrote:
If I'm in the folder list and press Enter, it will open the message that's currently highlighted in the message list. But Enter in the message list still has no effect.

This prompts one further suggestion from my side, but I'm using an older version, myself, so if this doesn't seem to make sense, please try to find the corresponding setting in your version.

Go to this dialog: Workspace | Toolbars | Customize | Tab:Shortcuts

Find and expand "Message List Pop-up Menu"
Within it, find and expand "Message"
Within that, find "Open" and verify that it is assigned to "Enter".

Daniel, thanks! That gave me the clue I needed. For whatever reason, there wasn't an "Open" item under Message List Pop-up Menu | Message. I had to go find it and add it to the pop-up menu, then assign Enter to it. Now it works, but the reason it went away to begin with is still a mystery. In any case, it looks like it's working now. Yay!
Pages: 1