Pages: 1
RSS
Option to Reply to the TO address of a received email

I think it will be very useful to have that option available. I receive many emails forwarded from several gmail.com accounts that end into a common account of The Bat! When I reply I have always to remember to change the Reply-To and the From address in order not to confuse the recipient. This ends to be a serious inconvenience.

You can right-click on any address in the message header and choose "reply to this address". Once in the editor, you can choose a different From-account.

If you want to automate this, you could probably create a quick template that is triggered by a keyboard shortcut and that creates a reply to the TO: address from the desired account. I've never done this, but I think it's possible.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
You can right-click on any address in the message header and choose "reply to this address". Once in the editor, you can choose a different From-account.

If you want to automate this, you could probably create a quick template that is triggered by a keyboard shortcut and that creates a reply to the TO: address from the desired account. I've never done this, but I think it's possible.
Hi Daniel,
It does not work because what I want is that the TO address of the received message becomes the FROM and REPLY-TO addresses when I am replying to the received message.
Thanks for trying to help.
Edited: Jose Pascoa - 24 July 2021 16:51:46

Well, I still think you could make a quick templace and use macros in it to set the From and Reply-To to the To address (if Gmail allows this - in the past, Gmail would always replace the From by the name and address that were registered in Gmail - but maybe it no longer does that).
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Thank you for trying to help.
I have no idea how to use Templates to change the Headers of an email message. All the Macros are in connection to customize the Body of the email message.
When I answer to an email using TheBat!  it will not go through the gmail servers, so the servers will have no opportunity to change anything.  

Puzzling. Daniel's suggestion on clicking the desired email id for recipient seems to do exactly what you want. Maybe it would help if you would give more detail. For example, if XXXX sends an email to YYYY and YYYY forwards to you, doing as Daniel suggests creates a reply with XXXX as the recipient and you as the sender. If that isn't what you want to do, then please explain.

david

david kirk wrote:
Puzzling. Daniel's suggestion on clicking the desired email id for recipient seems to do exactly what you want. Maybe it would help if you would give more detail. For example, if XXXX sends an email to YYYY and YYYY forwards to you, doing as Daniel suggests creates a reply with XXXX as the recipient and you as the sender. If that isn't what you want to do, then please explain.

david
Someone sends an email to xyz@gmail.com (suppose this email address belongs to me). Gmail has under its settings an option to forward a copy of incoming mail to another email address. I set here the address (xyz@abcd.com, for example).
So the email ends in TheBat! inbox that is configured to retrieve email from xyz@abcd.com
When I reply to this email, TheBat! automatically places the Reply-To and From fields to  xyz@abcd.com.
For me, this is an inconvenience, in particular because I have a few gmail.com and other accounts forwarding email to the same xyz@abcd.com, which works as a collect-all.
I am a programmer and know it is without doubt easy to set an option for that, I would love it would be made, but I know this software is not made to order. I am using TheBat! since 2002 and of course will continue using it, but am not feeling much need to upgrade lately.
Edited: Jose Pascoa - 25 July 2021 21:33:11 (typo)

Your explanation is confusing because you mention sample email ids, but intersperse pronouns that don't tie to the email ids. All I can figure is that what you want is to receive emails to one email id, but respond from another email id. SInce that is a catch-all email id, why not create a filter to send it to a separate folder and then set TB! so responses from that folder use the desired email FROM id. Whether it's forwarded or not doesn't seem to be part of the equation. From your example, your id is xyz@gmail.com and people send to xyz@abcd.com and you want to reply from xyz@gmail.com. I think there's a simple fix, but I am not sure of your problem yet. If that's all there is, just create a simple filter and under 'properties > identity' for the folder, change the email id to the one desired (assuming that email id is already defined as an account). That's all there is to it. Please confirm.

david
Edited: david kirk - 26 July 2021 00:07:24 (field name omitted)

Or, if you want to reply to ALL messages that come in at xyz@abcd.com from your xyz@gmail.com address, just go into the account properties for xyz@abcd.com and set the gmail address as the From and Reply-to for that account.

david kirk wrote:
From your example, your id is  xyz@gmail.com  and people send to  xyz@abcd.com  
No, people don't send to xyz@abcd.com people send to xyz@gmail.com. The email is forwarded from Gmail preserving the original TO address (it does not change to xyz@abcd). See link below to see how we set it in Gmail.
Anyway, forget, I can't explain any better. Thank you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fcimp01m55cj2tg/thebat.png?raw=1
Edited: Jose Pascoa - 26 July 2021 14:19:35

Jose Pascoa wrote:
template
Agree with Jose Pascoa. And I found good solution here: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showpost.php?s=9c5068ee03be428edb25f434cb27ffd8&p=339272&...
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=38541

But still does not understand how to achieve that via Macros. =(

My case is next:
I create account at the bat. For example me@example.com, but this is catch all account, so here I get job@example.com, shop@example.com and other mails.
When I reply to an email which come to job@example.com TheBat fills in filed From as me@example.com, but would be nice to be able to globally configure TheBat by default fill in field From for new email by value from field `To` of received email.

Eugen Konkov wrote:
My case is next:
I create account at the bat. For example  me@example.com , but this is catch all account, so here I get  job@example.com ,  shop@example.com  and other mails.
When I reply to an email which come to  job@example.com  TheBat fills in filed From as  me@example.com , but would be nice to be able to globally configure TheBat by default fill in field From for new email by value from field `To` of received email.

Are you aware that you can use macros in the Reply template of your account? If you want all your replies to have a 'from' address that is equal to the original 'to' address, that is how you can do it. Alternatively, if you only want to respond in this way to some messages, you can probably use filters and quick templates to trigger the creation of a reply. The Bat has had this sort of functionality for at least 20 years.

OK, I think I found a way, if I understood everything correctly. Maybe not the best, but it should do the trick.

1. Create one address book entry for each of the GMail addresses from which messages are redirected to the "master account".
2. In the Properties of an address book entry, go to the Reply tab and check "Use a specific template for replies".
3. In the template, enter: %FROM="that.address@gmail.com", (followed by any other stuff you usually use for reply templates, if any).
4. From then on, use Reply All on such messages from the master account to trigger the template.

Another way (again perhaps not the best), if you find the required use of Reply All troublesome:

1. Create a new account for each of the GMail addresses, basically copies of the master account (in terms of access parameters) with the only difference in the FROM and/or REPLY-TO fields, which should be set to the respective GMail addresses.
2. Create filters that copy or move incoming messages from the inbox of the master account to the inboxes of the respective new accounts.
3. Use the new accounts for replying.

Miloš Radovanović wrote:
1. Create a new account for each of the GMail addresses, basically copies of the master account (in terms of access parameters) with the only difference in the FROM and/or REPLY-TO fields, which should be set to the respective GMail addresses.

Instead of new accounts he could just create sub-folders within the existing account (one for each of his addresses), plus filters that sort the mail for each address into the appropriate sub-folder. Each sub-folder could have its own templates for new messages, replies, et cetera.

Instead of new accounts he could just create sub-folders within the existing account (one for each of his addresses), plus filters that sort the mail for each address into the appropriate sub-folder. Each sub-folder could have its own templates for new messages, replies, et cetera.

Sure, but from my understanding that would not alleviate the need to do a Reply All to trigger the templates. With separate accounts, both Reply and Reply All should work. So, this could be an alternative to creating address book entries from the first method I described. (For address book entries one can also define templates for new messages and forwarding.) Thanks.
Edited: Miloš Radovanović - 04 November 2022 14:58:50 (Sentence in parenthesis)

Miloš Radovanović wrote:
Sure, but from my understanding that would not alleviate the need to do a Reply All to trigger the templates.

I'm not sure why you think so. When you reply to a message, doesn't The Bat always apply the current reply template?

Besides, you do not even have to use any template.. just enter the 'From name' and 'From Address' in the Identity section of the folder properties and you're set! It seems there are countless ways to solve this problem.

I'm not sure why you think so. When you reply to a message, doesn't The Bat always apply the current reply template?
Of course, you're right. My mind was still fixated on the reply template for the particular sender fr om the address book.

Besides, you do not even have to use any template.. just enter the 'From name' and 'From Address' in the Identity section of the folder properties and you're set! It seems there are countless ways to solve this problem.
Yes, this is even better! It also helped me to more elegantly handle messages from a mailing list wh ere I was registered with an alternative e-mail address. So, to recap:

1. Create a folder for each of the GMail addresses.
2. In the Properties of each folder, Identity section, set the From Address (and possibly Reply-To Address) to the appropriate GMail address.
3. Use filters to copy or move incoming messages to the respective folders.
4. Reply and Reply All should now work as expected when done on messages from the folders.
Pages: 1