Pages: 1
RSS
Location of shortcut key settings?, Where are the shortcut key settings stored?

On one of my computers, The Bat (v9.3.2) reverts all my customizations every once in a while. So all the toolbars and shortcut keys go back to the defaults. It looks like tbuser.def stores shortcut keys, and I've made a backup after changing keys. When all the settings revert, this tbuser.def is back to default. If I copy my backup file over this, it doesn't help. All the keys are still default (not what I changed them to).

Anyone have an idea of how I can backup/restore my configuration and shortcut keys? Or why this is happening?

Thanks

As I understand it, tbuser.def was replaced by userdef.xml as of The Bat! v9.0.6.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel, I think they may have gone back from userdef.xml to tbuser.def somewhere between V9-1-18 and V9-3-4.  At least that is my experience with regard to toolbar configurations.  When I make changes to them in V9-3-4, tbuser.def is being updated.

Ron

Ronz, you're right. I don't have a userdef.xml at all, and tbuser.def gets updated if I make changes to configuration. Unfortunately, I'm still not sure why that file gets rewritten sometimes. I haven't figured out any consistent pattern or behavior that might trigger it.

Looking at some of the others posts in the forum, I'll try upgrading to 9.3.4 and see if that contains a fix for this problem.

Warner, could it be that the size of your TBUSER.DEF file exceeds 500 KB? In that case it would be renamed *.bak and a new (default) version would be created during start-up.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
Warner, could it be that the size of your TBUSER.DEF file exceeds 500 KB? In that case it would be renamed *.bak and a new (default) version would be created during start-up.
The file is 3K, so that shouldn't be the problem. I suppose it's possible that something in it is malformed or incorrect, but it was all generated by The Bat! itself. I never modified it directly. Anyway, I'll report after I try 9.3.4.

It's curious why restoring your backup of didn't bring your customizations back.  It makes one wonder if changes in that file aren't connected with some changes in configuration files elsewhere.  I don't customize shortcut keys, but I've had a few other changes I've made disappear on rare occasions.  I am now using a software backup/versioning product to monitor and record changes to the small files in the top-level mail directory folder, including tbuser.def.  I'm hoping I'll have better information if it happens again.  

That would be great. I'll be very interested to see your results.
Pages: 1