Pages: 1
RSS
Some symbols not displaying correctly

I've noticed that some symbols, like the degree symbol, don't display properly in The Bat! (9.3.4). In web Gmail, for example, I see this: 32°F, but in The Bat, I see: 32�F

Is this a character set problem, or an actual bug in the program? Under View->Character Set, it's set to UTF-8. I've also tried Auto Detect, but I get the same result. Has anyone else run into this kind of thing?

v. 9-5 Looks fine

https://content.screencast.com/users/george2534/folders/Snagit/media/c5e8e8d9-daf8-47f8-81f8-9359651e6b37/12.23.2021-13.57.png
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

Warner Y wrote:
I've noticed that some symbols, like the degree symbol, don't display properly in The Bat! (9.3.4). In web Gmail, for example, I see this: 32°F, but in The Bat, I see: 32�F

When you look at the headers (or source) of that message, does it have a line like this, that specifies a certain character set?:

Content-Type: text/plain;
          charset="windows-1250"

The 'degrees' symbol exists in most character sets, but maybe it is not translated correctly from the character set of your message.

Was it a regular text format message or HTML format?
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel,

I see this in the header:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8   Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

So I assumed UTF-8 would work. But I realize now that there's also this:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
  Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

a little bit below that first Content-Type. Which explains why I was finally able to display it correctly using "Western Europe ISO" and some other 7-bit character sets.

But that makes me wonder if it's a bug in The Bat. Based on its behavior, I think it's using the first Content-Type (UTF-8), but I don't know if that's the correct behavior or if it's a bug. In any case, thanks!

Very interesting, Warner! In my The Bat v8, under Options | Preferences | Other Options, there's a section 'Character Sets (XLAT)'. My settings there are all default, and I just noticed that the Western European (ISO) / iso-8859-1 character set was NOT active. Could it be that this is also true for your version and that that has caused the mistranslation?

If that doesn't explain it, maybe you should save the message as an .eml file and submit it to Ritlabs' technical support with an explanation of what happened (or a link to this forum topic) -- in that case I'd agree that you may have stumbled on a bug.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Hmm, in my Character Sets preferences, the Western European/iso-8859-1 character set was already enabled, so I don't think that's a problem. I'll do as you suggest and submit it to Ritlabs. Thanks!
Pages: 1