Pages: 1
RSS
Convert account from POP3 to IMAP?

How to convert an existing account from POP3 to IMAP?
I know that I could delete the existing account, then create new, but I believe I would lose all my filters.
Or is there a method to import filters if I create a new IMAP account?
I'm using TheBat! (version 9.1) under Linux Mint 20.2 - the latest update to WINE (7.0) doesn't work properly with POP3 accounts, yet appears that it will work with IMAP accounts.  WINE 6.0.2, the last stable release before 7.0, works fine with POP3 accounts.

Thanks for any assistance.
Jim
Edited: Jim Arner - 22 January 2022 17:27:08 (Add TheBat! version)

When you go into an account's Sorting Office, you can right-click on a group of filters (eg. 'incoming') and choose Copy to copy all the filter definitions in that group to the clipboard in text format. From there you can paste the filters into the same group of another account. Or first paste them into a text editor, to edit any paths that must be updated.

Instead of deleting an account, I think you can also simply deactivate it by turning off the 'Periodical Checking' and 'Check at Startup' options, and by switching on the 'Ignore Check All requests' setting under the account's Properties > Options. (or evenmore thorough, remove the usernames and passwords and server addresses from the Transport settings?)
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

The elephants in the room are the message folders. We've had this discussion before and my memory is that Thunderbird may be a useful conduit, since it has an export/import feature and can move folders between IMAP and POP, whereas TB! cannot. Somewhere on this forum are the many discussions on the topic.

david kirk wrote:
Somewhere on this forum are the many discussions on the topic.

This is probably the best thread on that topic -- IF Jim wants to copy his old messages into the new IMAP account:

https://www.ritlabs.com/en/forums/forum4/topic13970/
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

david kirk wrote:
The elephants in the room are the message folders. We've had this discussion before and my memory is that Thunderbird may be a useful conduit, since it has an export/import feature and can move folders between IMAP and POP, whereas TB! cannot. Somewhere on this forum are the many discussions on the topic.
Simply speaking TB sucks at this, and using other software (free in the same time) to do not free application job is double suck.
Pages: 1