Pages: 1
RSS
The Bat! has become slow to the point of being unusable

Hi,

A few weeks ago, The Bat! started acting weird, like when I move from one message to the other in the main window, it takes a while to display the message in the viewer, also when I want to delete a message, it just hangs there for up to a minute before The Bat! reacts. Sometimes I move from one inbox to another and it takes a long time to display the messages list.

I tried using the maintenance center thinking there could be a corrupted folder (one inbox seems more prone to cause this issue than the other) but nothing was detected.

The only thing that's different is that the message count has grown over the years, I have 5 accounts in The Bat! and the biggest has 24K messages total, the 2nd biggest is 10K messages, then 5K messages and the last two are small. Could it be that I got to the point wh ere The Bat! struggles to deal with the amount of messages? Or what could be going on?

As for errors, this is the only one I've come across when clicking around trying to make the bat! react.

TMailMessage released before its use while listing folder \\«mail account»\Inbox.

Also, my hard drive is not SDD, in case it matters.  
Edited: RangoX - 26 March 2022 16:59:47

The size of your message bases should be no problem.

Did you use both the CheckIntegrity/Repair and Compact functions in the maintenance center?

Some additional things that I would look into if it were my system:

-Clear the caches of any IMAP accounts
-Disable any plug-ins
-Remove any old, redundant filters and check if a new filter may be causing the delays
-Maybe delete and re-make any virtual folders
-Disable any antivirus or antimalware software that may be interfering
-Update or reinstall your video and mouse drivers in Windows
-Unfragment the drive on which the messages are stored
-Could it be that The Bat is using any slow network or external drives, or trying to access sleeping devices? Is it equally slow when you disconnect from internet?

If none of this helps, hopefully someone else has better suggestions! It may help if you mention your Windows and The Bat versions.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

My largest account has 107,000 emails and speed is not the biggest problem.  There are many other problems with The Bat which are driving me crazy..  But speed is not my problem in use..  A couple of versions ago it became slower and indexing now takes longer.  I have found that turning on The Bat in the morning before breakfast and letting it get going for 30 mins before I start work makes everything fast again..

Can you isolate the problem to just one account?  You may find that there is one email that is causing problems.  I found that flushing my mailbox at my ISP has helped.  Copying emails fr om one account to another (new) might help, although I have had issues wh ere the problem migrates with the emails to the new account.

The maintenance function is not foolproof.  I have one account that reports errors and maintenance does not fix it.  Even copying all emails from that account to a new one does not resolve the issue.  The problem persists in the new account which seems crazy.  Suggesting that one or more actual emails are the problem.  This might be a similar problem to yours.  That account is also a bit slower to render on startup.  It would be nice to be able
to flush out problematic emails or run some sort of health check on them which Maintenance does not seem to be doing.
Edited: Thomas Dahl - 28 March 2022 10:58:06

It would be nice to be able to flush out problematic emails or run some sort of health check on them which Maintenance does not seem to be doing.

If corrupted messages are stuck on the mail server, the 'Account | Dispatch Mail on Server' function may help you get rid of those.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Thank you for your suggestions.

When you talk about IMAP and flushing the mailbox, that's all about IMAP, right? I have my accounts as SMTP, should I try IMAP to see if that solves the issue?  

When Thomas said "I found that flushing my mailbox at my ISP has helped" he meant that a troublesome message was stuck in his provider's mail server. It is not an IMAP vs POP3 issue.

Hi,
I have the same problem, running TheBat since many years on

• Windows 10 Pro, Version 100.0.1185.36 (Offizielles Build) (64-Bit)
  • TheBat 9.5.1 (latest version right now)
  • TheBat data is on samba drive - but network was never a speed issue, opening the TB is so fast
  • 2-3 accounts
  • main account 96.000 mails
  • main account is POP
  • 1 IMAP, but active only on manual retrieving
This  is a big problem, changing fr om one mail to another takes a few  seconds, so the mail program is almost not possible anymore for usage

I suppose the problem is not of the amount of mails, e.g. searching is fast as always

I suppose the problem might be in:
- mails with high priority
- flag

- viewer

I  started in January 2022 with the "Flagging" of mails, that had a  significant speed impact on clicking on folders. But I thought, ok, this  is fine, I have this cool flagged feature.

Then it get worse, One issue to get speed back was for any reason the disabling of ticker for high priority mails

But it is now still not fast and it takes a few seconds to switch between messages

Another  guess is the "Viewer". A few weeks ago I figured out, that TheBat is  showing after update images in all emails immediately. This is of course  a big security issue, Spammers like it. So I had to check the Viewer  options and disabled previewing of images, then they wh ere displayed by TtheBat with a red placeholder. A learing here was, that TheBat is using for strange reasons the Microsoft Edge HTML viewer (sounds like a joke)

But again, now it is soooo sloooow, almost not possible to work anymore.
So I changed the Viewer again:

I disabled in "Viewer/Editor" everything, that could take use of this HTML viewer:
  • view plain text messages using: Plain text viewer
  • View html messages using: Plain text version and HTML
  • View messages with alternative layout: Plain text version and HTML
  • Default text format of the Message Editor: Plain
=> this is now not really cool, seeing html message in sourcecode, and the switching is still not fast!!!

Then there are sub-options:
Plain Text Editor
  • use softline wraping mobile friendly: on
  • use softline wrapping in SmartBat: on
  • Find text at caret positon: on
HTML Editor

Maybe those sub-options are also affection the speed?

Now I disabled all checkboxes in "Viewer/Editor" / "Plain Text Editor" -> it looks like as it is faster, I'll give it a try.

My latest update: all above mentioned restrictions are not helping improving the speed. TB is now a pain, waiting after selecting every single mail a few seconds.
Edited: Andy Spa - 11 April 2022 11:10:55

Have you tried running The Bat after Windows has been rebooted in Safe Mode? If that helps, a third party driver or background program (anti malware, etc) is likely the issue.

Have you tried a tool like Sysmon (System Monitor) by Microsoft SysInternals to see if that reveals the cause of the delays?

Hi Daniel, yes I run in Safe Mode and it was fast!

So indeed, the problem is the Microsoft Defender Antivirus.
When I add a rule to exclude Folder of the TheBat-Mails and the process thebat64.exe, there is no time delay anymore.

GOOD! SOVLED.

But that arises another question.
TB offers a Plugin for Virus-security on ClamWin, but the Plugin is old and not available anymore.

So how to enable security on mails on TB?

>> So how to enable security on mails on TB?
All main antiviruses can check emails "on the fly". Do you have any AV instead MS-Defender?
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

Yes, I run Claim Win.
Ok, if so, then it may be good, if TB removes those AV Plugins from Download list, not to mislead users to wrong configurations and setups

Andy Spa wrote:
Ok, if so, then it may be good, if TB removes those AV Plugins from Download list, not to mislead users to wrong configurations and setups

I have forwarded your suggestion to Ritlabs.
Pages: 1