Pages: 1
RSS
Upgrade Explanation Worry

The latest upgrade is ver 10 but the download site for purchase shows ver 9.  Am I right in thinking that we must download 9 then upgrade to 10 or is there a dedicated link to download vers 10?

My current version is 6.8.8, fortunately when reinstalling Windows and installing programs, The Bat has found its way into the 64bit folder.

Today I was informed by email from GMX that they will no longer send or receive emails using TLS 1 or 1.1.  They didn't say that they would only accept 1.2 and above.  Please does anyone know if paying for and installing vers 10 would solve the problem?

My other alternative might be to install a free email client such as Thunderbird.

How easy is the upgrade, just a matter of running the maintenance centre to purge deleted emails, make a backup, download the file, run it and then restore from the backup?

Thanks

David Payne wrote:
The latest upgrade is ver 10 but the download site for purchase shows ver 9.  Am I right in thinking that we must download 9 then upgrade to 10 or is there a dedicated link to download vers 10?

Do you have a link to this -what appears to be- wrong information?

When you go to The Bat | Download in the menu above, you can download v10.03.
When you go to The Bat | Buy, you can purchase an upgrade fr om old versions v1-v8 to the current v10.

If I recall correctly, the upgrade process is just a matter of installing the new version and entering the new license information. I would recommend that you backup your mail folder first, just to be sure (and preferably your program folder too, plus your registry settings using David Kirk's backup utility available from https://davidkirk.org/thebat/ )

TLS v1.2 support was added sometime in the v8 cycle, so v10 should be fine wh ere that's concerned.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
David Payne wrote:

Do you have a link to this -what appears to be- wrong information?

When you go to The Bat | Download in the menu above, you can download v10.03.
When you go to The Bat | Buy, you can purchase an upgrade fr om old versions v1-v8 to the current v10.

If I recall correctly, the upgrade process is just a matter of installing the new version and entering the new license information. I would recommend that you backup your mail folder first, just to be sure (and preferably your program folder too, plus your registry settings using David Kirk's backup utility available from  https://davidkirk.org/thebat/  )

TLS v1.2 support was added sometime in the v8 cycle, so v10 should be fine wh ere that's concerned.
Thanks for your time and information.

This was the email I received from Gmx.

Quote: We are contacting you because one or more of your devices or programs uses the TLS 1.0 and/or TLS 1.1 encryption protocols to connect to our GMX email servers. This involves either access via SMTP (sending emails) or retrieval via POP3/IMAP (receiving emails).

Unfortunately, the TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 encryption protocols are outdated and no longer meet current security standards. To protect your email communications, soon we will no longer allow access to our GMX servers with these outdated protocols.

What does this mean for you?
After the protocols have been deactivated, the transfer of emails between your affected device or program and our GMX servers will no longer work; i.e. no emails will be transmitted to or from your GMX email account using TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1.

The following devices or programs may be affected:

Third-party email programs such as Outlook, Thunderbird or pre-installed apps in which you have set up your GMX email account.

Email accounts of other providers which you have linked to your GMX email account.

Webcams, printers and/or routers that send emails from your GMX email account.

Please rest assured that you can continue to access your emails at all times by logging in to your account at www.gmx.co.uk or using the GMX Mail App, which are protected by the highest security standards.

We recommend that you only use newer devices and programs that support the latest TLS 1.2 or 1.3 encryption protocols and transfer your emails securely. In addition, please remember that it is important to install security updates regularly.

Thank you for your understanding!

Best regards,
GMX Customer Management Unquote

I've only just realised that indeed GMX did say that they would support TLS 1.2 - I should have gone to Specsavers!

I purchased an upgrade to vers 10.  I didn't use David Kirks small program, I had difficulty trying to unzip it.  Having Macrium Reflect on my PC I was able to make a backup.  Everything seems to be OK (it is Friday the 13th!), strangely when I installed version 10 it did NOT overwrite version 6 but created a whole new program, this caught me out as later when I tried to run TB from the desktop icon I was presented with version 6.  I've now deleted version 6 and sorted out the desktop icon.  I have one nagging problem for which I'll start a new thread.

Thanks again
Pages: 1