Pages: 1
RSS
Encoding problem in message list view

Message list view has some encoding problem:

From: "davidoff12001@yahoo.de via groups.io" <davidoff12001=yahoo.de@groups.io>
To: beckymail@groups.io
Subject: Re: [beckymail] Does becky backup plugin exist?

the "From" field will be display as :  
=?UTF-8?B?ImRhdmlkb2ZmMTIwMDFAeWFob28uZGUgdmlhIGdyb3Vwcy5pbyI=?=
in message list view

which should not be encode as utf-8
this may  occurs with "From" or  "To"  field ,however Mail content view display this with no problem.

Please export that message(s) to an .EML or .MSG file, and report the error to Ritlabs by creating a support ticket (see Support in the menu at the top of this page). When you report the error, please mention your The Bat version and your Windows version, and upload the exported message as an attachment. Hopefully they will find out what is wrong and fix it.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

The bat! version 10.0.9,windows 10

Message list has no problem now. but the header part of message viewer has this problem.
after doing some test, I find out the reason:
The bat! require the mail address in mail headers to be enclosed by "<>".  

I manually construct a minimal  mail like this:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Message-ID: <1416152083.20220530171654@test.com>
To: =?gbk?B?dGVzdEB0ZXN0LmNvbQ==?= test@test.com
CC: =?gbk?B?dGVzdEB0ZXN0LmNvbQ==?= <test@test.com>
Subject: =?gbk?B?dGVzdA==?=
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

test

----------------------------------------------------------------

the header of witch will be show like this:

To:    =?gbk?B?dGVzdEB0ZXN0LmNvbQ==?=test@test.com
 CC:    test@test.com <test@test.com>
Subject: test

===========================================================

by the way , The bat can't handle email which use unix style CRLF (0x0A) instead of dos style(0X0D 0X0A)

for test, you can save the minimal email above use any text editor with unix style CRLF then import to The bat.

meilin core wrote:
by the way , The bat can't handle email which use unix style CRLF (0x0A) instead of dos style(0X0D 0X0A)

It is not supposed to. The internet email standard specifies that lines in messages must end with CR/LF  (likewise, I believe that addresses are required to be enclosed in '<' and '>' brackets).

The Bat is known to be quite strict about following internet standards.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
It is not supposed to. The  internet email standard  specifies that lines in messages must end with CR/LF  (likewise, I believe that addresses are required to be enclosed in ' ' brackets).

unix style CRLF do violate RFC822,but other mail client (outlook, foxmail,becky!,thunderbird...) can be compatible with it.

You are right,  address is required to be enclosed in angel brackets in RFC 2822 but not in RFC822; the problem is: message list can handle this but mail content viewer can not.  It seems that message list and mail content viewer use different header parser... The bat! version below v8 has no such problem.   v8->v10 do have.

some mail with unix style CRLF can cause memory access violation
Edited: meilin core - 31 May 2022 04:34:47

meilin core wrote:
Message list has no problem now. but the header part of message viewer has this problem.
meilin core wrote:
It seems that message list and mail content viewer use different header parser...

I remember having similar problems with the message list and header part of the message viewer. Changing the font and/or font script (to something other than Western) solved it for me.

Options -> Preferences -> Message List -> Change...
Options -> Preferences -> Viewer/Editor -> Header Layout -> Change...

It could be that simply a different font is used by the two, not parser.

Miloš Radovanović wrote:
I remember having similar problems with the message list and header part of the message viewer. Changing the font and/or font script (to something other than Western) solved it for me.Options -> Preferences -> Message List -> Change...Options -> Preferences -> Viewer/Editor -> Header Layout -> Change...It could be that simply a different font is used by the two, not parser.
thanks
I'm pretty sure it's  compatibility problem of header parser, this occurs only on structured header body, like "From" "To" "CC",  I do not know if message list and mail content viewer use the same parser to handle this or each has its own one.

I have a mail which has now problem of message list ,only mail content viewer broken, but when I save it to eml file and import to another folder,
message list broken too.... that's weird.

I think the parser need some compatibility improvement.

============
unix style CRLF can  cause memory access violation. it also needs to be checked

meilin core wrote:
Miloš Radovanović wrote:
I remember having similar problems with the message list and header part of the message viewer. Changing the font and/or font script (to something other than Western) solved it for me.Options -> Preferences -> Message List -> Change...Options -> Preferences -> Viewer/Editor -> Header Layout -> Change...It could be that simply a different font is used by the two, not parser.
thanks
I'm pretty sure it's  compatibility problem of header parser, this occurs only on structured header body, like "From" "To" "CC",  I do not know if message list and mail content viewer use the same parser to handle this or each has its own one.

I have a mail which has now problem of message list ,only mail content viewer broken, but when I save it to eml file and import to another folder,
message list broken too.... that's weird.

I think the parser need some compatibility improvement.

============
unix style CRLF can  cause memory access violation. it also needs to be checked
OK, I was able to reproduce your encoding problem (also v10.0.9). I got the same behavior from the message list and viewer/editor. You were right, it's not a font issue, it is the parser (or parsers?). Also, after converting the .eml file to UNIX LF format, it is not handled correctly (everything get crammed into the From: field), albeit I get no access violation errors (I imagine I could if the message was longer).

As Daniel explained above, you should report the issues to RitLabs using the support link, as this is a user forum. It may be a good idea to zip the .eml files before attaching so nothing gets "lost in translation", especially for UNIX-style CRLF messages, and include screenshots of what you see. Even if it is all "incorrect grammar", TB! really should not catastrophically fail under such circumstances.

Miloš Radovanović wrote:
As Daniel explained above, you should report the issues to RitLabs using the support link, as this is a user forum. It may be a good idea to zip the .eml files before attaching so nothing gets "lost in translation", especially for UNIX-style CRLF messages, and include screenshots of what you see. Even if it is all "incorrect grammar", TB! really should not catastrophically fail under such circumstances.
thanks
I will try it
Pages: 1