Pages: 1
RSS
Address book lost after updates

Hello

After each upd ate TheBat Looses address books and if it is se t to restart with windows, the previous version loads.
Fix ----> After each update TheBat should: 1) copy the ADDRBOOK.INI from the previous version to the new update folder and 2) replace the entry for autostart to point to the new directory executable.

George

(moderator's note: I've changed the topic title to better reflect the subject - Daniel)

Hi Georgios -- Sorry to hear about this problem, but this is a user-to-user forum and the developers don't visit often. To report a bug to them, please click 'Support' in the menu near the top of this page and press 'Create a new ticket'. Please mention the The Bat version number(s) that you were using and the Windows version. I think it may help if you also mention the location of the executables (for example 'c:\program files\thebat\thebat64.exe') and of the mail directory (see Options | Preferences | System).

p.s. you may want to check first if there is a newer version, there have been quite a few small updates lately.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Hi Daniel. The proposed fix is the way that each user with the same problems can do manually, until a permanent one.

Georgios

I must have the same problem and unfortunately I can't understand Georgios' fix.

I've completely lost my address book. Clicking the icon on the menu bar does nothing.  Looking at the ADDRESSBOOK.INI on my C Drive shows the file as only 1kb - I have scores of contacts in the address book dating back many years.

I haven't got a clue how to restore the Address Book, it's the only address book I use!

I've just un-ticked Run TB when Windows Starts.

Can anyone please suggest how I can get the address book back,  how I can get it to load when I click the icon on the Menu Bar?

Thanks

>> Can anyone please suggest how I can get the address book back,  
Don't you ever ever done a backup?
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

Yes, I have and I've tried 3 different backups, the earliest being 23rd May.

The INI file still shows todays date even with backup from 23rd May.

Can you try to restore your backup on some other PC with TB! v9?
Are you sure that your backups have it address book data? Are you won't forget to check checkbox about it in the backup settings?
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

For all who's read this thread: Don't forget to do backups
- through TheBat backup feature
- through special backup soft like Acronis CyberProtect (ex True Image)

Do this periodically!

Thanks

No, I can't backup to another computer.

Yes I have address book ticked for backup.

I also use Macrium Reflect to backup C Drive etc and Toolkit to backup TB! backups.  

I purchased on 13th May and ran TB backup dated 14 May, 23 May, 29 May xx Jun

When I click the Address Book icon NOTHING happens, ie it doesn't show an empty Address Book. NOR can I add sender etc, the Book just doesn't open.

I even tried copying an ADDRBOOK.INI file fr om an earlier Backup into todays App Data but when I ran TB that it updated it to the time TB ran.

Should there be a value above 1kb for the ADDRBOOK.INI file, I had scores of entries and would think that the value would be higher than 1kb, that's if that file is wh ere the addresses/contacts are stored?

Hi David

For me TheBat stores each update in a separate folder in the directory below.

C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\The Bat!\Main

were user is your given user name.

You can find there separate folders named after each update like 10.0.0.8 etc. Each update folder contains an 64 or 32 folder with TheBat.exe executable and an ADDRBOOK.INI. Quit the bat and run the executable of the update that shows your address book correctly. Every time you MUST quit, not minimize.
When you find the correct version, copy the ADDRBOOK.INI to the latest update version folder, today is 10.0.10.0 and make the shortcut for the program to point t the new executable.

That's it.

If you start TheBat when windoows starts, you mast undo the setting and redo it otherwise your old version will start.

Georgios

Thanks Georgios:

For some unexplained reason, after all my restores and I couldn't access the Address Book, I left the computer on with TB Screen showing and chatted with my neighbour for 20 minutes, when I came back the Address Book was showing as a pop-up! Unbelieveable.  It now loads when I quit and restart. Back to working properly!

I hadn't realisted that TB was in Dave/AppData/LOCAL/TB/Main.  

I'd only seen it in Dave/AppData/ROAMING/TB

As such my ADDRBOOK.ini is in ROAMING/TB

There is NO ADDRBOOK.ini within any of the updates in My MAIN.

You've been very helpful but it looks like TB had corrected itself.

One Problem:  I'm a numpty, and unfortunately your advise given below was too difficult for me to grasp!

"When you find the correct version, copy the ADDRBOOK.INI to the latest update version folder, today is 10.0.10.0 and make the shortcut for the program to point t the new executable".

With TB correcting itself, I don't think I'll have, on this occasion, to attempt to do what you've suggested.

I've unticked TB to start when Windows starts, which was the setting I'd used on all previous versions of TB.

Thanks again - You've been VERRRY Helpful

>>  when I came back the Address Book was showing as a pop-up! Unbelieveable.
It's a miracle)) Glad with you.
Pages: 1