Pages: 1
RSS
Strange behavior of HTML editor

Hello!

About month ago I installed newest version of The Bat (9.3.3 -> 10.1). There were happened something wrong with HTML email editor between versions. It's crazy now.

I recorded video with few samples (not all):
https://youtu.be/2KYo9GxgIAU

- each time I choose "Reply To" email, cursor is set before first character in editor. I defined in reply template, cursor must be in different place. When I start typing, cursor suddenly change position to proper one. [0:03 on movie]
- Enter key in empty line can make no new line [0:17]
- Enter key in empty line can make new line, but 2 lines below [0:13]
- selecting and deleting text in one line (Delete key) can delete the line too [0:47]
- Delete key, when cursor is on the beginning of line can delete few lines
- Ctrl+Z can delete images from email [0:33]

There are so many bugs in HTML editor and they are annoying and time wasting.
I noticed editor has problems if there are DIV sections in HTML code.

I'll be happy if you change editor back to previous version.
Best regards.

Hi Grzegorz,

Thanks for the thorough report, but since this is mainly a user-to-user forum, please also report the problems directly to Ritlabs by creating a support ticket for it (click 'Support' in the menu above). You can copy and paste your message there, or add a link to this topic. Please also mention which Windows version and which keyboard definition you are using. I hope they will resolve these issues soon.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Thank you and sorry for the post.
I didn't know forum is not a Ritlabs area.
I will do as you suggest.

I reported almost the same to support, in March 2022,  but nothing hapened, only promising
I've been using bat since 2001, but due to the many unfixed errors from 9.3.3, the glass is starting to fill up and I'm switching to Thunderbird or something else
Edited: Peter Csuri - 05 August 2022 13:18:55

The multiple unresolved bugs in TB is becoming very long.  Reporting them directly to Ritlabs is pointless as nothing is ever resolved.  They keep releasing updates that do not fix old bugs and continue to say they are going to fix the hopeless HTML editor etc.  I think the company is one 12 year old boy sitting in a dark room playing computer games.

Many of my old TB users have switched to Outlook.  I do not want to do this as I do not particularly like this program.  Does anyone have any ideas of a email client that I can use and where I can import all my TB emails natively?

For all the bugs and half finished features in TB it does have some genius behind it.  I just need a  more stable program.

Thomas: Apparently you find it appropriate to discuss recommendations for competing products in a company's forum. I do not.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

There are many more bugs than you have indicated.  I agree with all of yours and can add some from the top of may head:

1.  Bullet List function does not work.
2.  Typin "1." in a blank line adds a sort of bullet list which is inset and cannot be added to.
3.  Passing text to other applications such as spell checker or translation software suh as DeepL worked in the previous edit but not in this one.
4.  Format painter no longer works
5.  Marking text an bulk marking a new font or point size only changes some of the text

and so on..

I cannot find a single new or improved feature in this new "improved" editor.  Bear in mind that this "new" editor is now 8 months old and is completely broken.

Sending tickets about this editor is a waste of time.  All I get is "we are working on it" or as in 2nd of  May of this year: "Indeed, there is a number of issues in the new HTML editor which we do  not manage to solve as quick as desired, that is why we consider  bringing back the good old HTML editor."

But we, the humble users, see no improvements in old bugs but the introduction of a non google compatible calendar and other BS.  Do not hold your breath.  I have offered to PAY for a programmer to sit down and focus on the bugs.  No response on that one.

I have also told them that I will only upgrade my 6 licenses when I see progress made on old bugs.

[..This line removed by moderator / Daniel]

Thomas

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
Thomas: Apparently you find it appropriate to discuss recommendations for competing products in a company's forum. I do not.
I think you have missed the point.  If Ritlabs listed to their users and actually fixed the bugs, in what is essentially a decent product, I would certainly never ask for advice about alternative email clients.  When a company like Ritlabs essentially abandons its users like this it is quite a common tactic to discuss alternative products in forums.

I am very pleased to hear that you have no issues with The Bat.  Lucky you.

Thomas Dahl wrote:
Daniel van Rooijen wrote:

I am very pleased to hear that you have no issues with The Bat.  Lucky you.

If I'm NOT mistaken Daniel, as a moderator, is using The Bat! version 8.  A bit strange in my opinion!  If he were to upgrade to vers 10 he might experience the same problems others are having?  Where he can, he gives sound advice but he is using a different version.

I contacted Ritlabs regarding the address book disappearing if I set TB to open on start-up. The only way I could get the address book back was to re-image Windows 10 using Macrium Reflect to the day I upgraded to version 10. Ritlabs reply was to congratulate me on my achievement. I don't think they have fixed that bug because there has been no version upgrade after I reported the bug.  I no longer have TB set to run on start-up.

I get problems with the Mail Ticker, NOT all the time but occasionally. I click on and read the email in the viewer but the Ticker still shows. If I click the Ticker nothing happens and the only way to remove it is to close TB and re-open.  I don't think there would be any value in reporting it.

This is forum of users. All the bug-talks here - for nothing. Just repeat your talks with vendor through support ticket system. There is no any other way.
And stop writing another things here. One forum thread = one question. Don't do a garbage from thread with exact question/problem to "many different questions".
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

Thomas Dahl: If you once more abuse the hospitality of our forum host by discussing/promoting competing products, or by calling on people to 'name and shame' him, or by contradicting and provoking the forum moderator (moi), then that wil be the end of your account and your participation here.

This is not open to discussion.

Bugs -if they are that- are an annoyance, but there is no such thing as bug-free software, or a right to bug-free software. Standard software like The Bat is offered "as is", in other words: wards and all. If you can't accept that, you'll have to find some other product, or develop your own, or stop using computers. Your dissatisfaction is not an excuse for vindictive behavior in this forum.

Again, this is not open to discussion.

Daniel,  I will behave and keep away fr om criticism of you, or ritlabs, or The Bat.

I would like to point out that I have never been critical of you or your support.  You have always been a great help.  I have only suggested "naming and shaming" ritlabs - as a company - for not supporting their product to an acceptable level.  My actions have all been to illicit a reaction and a path to getting The Bat to wh ere it needs to be.  Sending them bug reports regularly since 2010 has not worked so I felt the need to provoke them in some other way.  Bug free software is not possible, I agree, but continuous improvement is.  I used to write Database applications for a living and half my time was spent fixing bugs and the other half working on new features.  I hated being told about bugs in my db files and spent many a long night working on them.

You just called Ritlabs a "he".  Is it really only one person?

I am sorry for offending you.  This was never my intention.

Thomas: 'him' referred to 'our forum host', which is Ritlabs the company, regardless of whether they have 5 or 50 employees (I don't know the number).

Your experience developing databases may not be representative for today's challenges in software development. Just consider that even large software companies are no longer able to develop a HTML interpreter (a.k.a. browser) of their own, due to the immense complexities of today's HTML and related standards and requirements, and the multitude of platforms and ecosystems involved. This means that smaller companies who need HTML viewing and editing functionality (like Ritlabs) can only obtain that by integrating ready-made third-party components into their software. That by itself can be difficult enough, but what if there are bugs in the components..? Do they fix them themselves (in other people's code, and with the bugs continuing to exist in future versions) or do they wait for the original authors to fix them (so that future versions will also be fixed)? I have a long history in software myself, and I'm afraid that we're slowly moving to a world where ever more software is controlled by a small number of corporations and collectives. Due to the increased complexity of software, competition, diversity and creativity in this field are disappearing (except for an abundance of small apps, but most of those are insignificant).

Anyway, I prefer to keep moderation to a minimum so I am ending this discussion here. Please go back to the topic of setting up and using The Bat, keeping in mind the points that I made on not abusing the hospitality of the forum host. They have no obligation to offer us this forum at all, and I don't want us to outwear our welcome.
Pages: 1