Pages: 1
RSS
The Bat & Microsoft 365, Sending mail problem

Hello everyone,

For several weeks now, TheBat (version 10.3.2) cannot send any messages.

The mail server is Microsoft 365.
Error message when trying to send: 5.7.57 Client not authenticated to send mail. Error: 451.4.7.0 Temporary server error. Please try again later.
Is there any way to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Greg

I don't use that mail server, but I would suggest trying some other desktop client. If the problem persists take it up with mail server support, if it goes away take it up with TB! support using the link above.

This or a very similar issue was also discussed here:

https://www.ritlabs.com/en/forums/forum4/topic15923/

Maybe you could try the settings mentioned there and let us know if they work or not.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

No, these settings do not work.

Too bad. In Account Properties, under Transport | Protocol Logging, you can turn the SMTP logging on. Maybe that will reveal more information about the problem. Hopefully the technical support staff of either MS or Ritlabs can help you further. If nothing works, maybe you can simply use your internet provider's SMTP server to send out mail?
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Many changes going on at Microsoft 365 this week. Turning Basic Auth OFF for everything, including SMTP. However, they say you can turn it back on for SMTP if you want.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/basic-authentication-deprecation-in-exchan...

As of October 2022 officially, but with the ability to delay it to January 2023, Microsoft 365 has officially stopped supporting "Basic Authentication", i.e., simple username/password. It now only works with Modern Authentication, OAuth2 and I don't if there are any other methods, but using tokens  authenticated from a separate website. Currently TheBat does not perform this function for POP3, from what I read Thunderbird is the main client that will authenticate for POP3. Since TheBat did away with Exchange accounts back in version 8 that leaves only IMAP4 as the sole protocol for accessing Microsoft.

In the past few days, my experience has been spotty at best and actually pretty horrible mostly. Setup was a nightmare and took many hours to get connected and authenticated. Only to discover that every time you restart TheBat you must reauthenticate. When using long, random passwords and multi-factor authentication in addition to Microsoft's OAuth2 this becomes quite a project every single time you startup. More often than not I get the error message "4 BAD User is authenticated but not connected", for which there is no solution, not restarting, nothing, until an unknown amount of time has elapsed. I think it is a "too many login attempts" kind of protection. Randomly throughout a connection session I will be prompted to reauthenticate again. Sometimes it will ask me to renter credentials and sometimes it will just authenticate automatically.

So, if anyone else has any experience with Microsoft 365 or perhaps other OAuth2 authenticating providers and can provide tips for setup I would appreciate.

I have opened a support ticket with RitLabs but have not heard back anything.

I mentioned to them that I am a 20 year user, going back to early, early versions, (v1.62) and have never and would never consider changing for anything. I use too many of the features that are unique to TheBat. This is the only thing that could ever make me give it up - the simple fact that it can no longer retrieve my mail. (Though I have other, non Microsoft accounts that still allow POP3 which I would keep in TheBat if possible, but who knows how long POP3 has to live?).
Edited: Robert Hirn - 25 January 2023 02:03:40

Just workaround for a time: do redirect of all incoming messages from O365 box to some box that works with TB!
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

Robert Hirn wrote:
[..] "User is authenticated but not connected"

Google shows many hits when you search for that phrase. I have no time presently to look deeper into it, but apparently it was solved for some people (using various email clients) by disabling IPv6, or by using elevated access rights (whether to Edge, to the mail client or to the mail server, I don't know).

Hopefully you can still find some hints and information that will point you towards a solution. Unfortunately it's still unclear to me if The Bat can work with these 365 accounts at all -- I have moved your message into this existing thread in hopes of consolidating the information into a single topic, so that all affected can benefit from the information and experiences shared here.

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
Robert Hirn wrote:
[..] "User is authenticated but not connected"

Google shows many hits when you search for that phrase. I have no time presently to look deeper into it, but apparently it was solved for some people (using various email clients) by disabling IPv6, or by using elevated access rights (whether to Edge, to the mail client or to the mail server, I don't know).

Hopefully you can still find some hints and information that will point you towards a solution. Unfortunately it's still unclear to me if The Bat can work with these 365 accounts at all -- I have moved your message into this existing thread in hopes of consolidating the information into a single topic, so that all affected can benefit from the information and experiences shared here.

I'm using Business Exchange service, with several e-mail accounts in TheBat. Since last week, I had the same error: "BAD User is authenticated but not connected".  My solution was (tested in TheBat 10.3.3.3):

1. Disconnect all open sessions in Microsoft (in Microsoft Exchange admin panel)
2. Configure all accounts as IMAP - OAUTH (usinf Browser web)

When you open TheBat!, it will ask you for your password, but it uses an "'iframe" of your browser to establish the connection (in my case, Microsoft Edge). The problem is that it can ask you the same every time it tries to connect. Or it can llost the connecion and thern you have to disconnect all sessions again...

In Outlook now you have to use the Exchange method to connect your accounts. I hope TheBat! implements that connection soon.

I'm also having problems sending email via Hotmail account.

Log says:

Code
 17/03/2023, 10:16:44: SEND  - sending mail message(s) - 1 message(s) in queue
17/03/2023, 10:16:44: SEND  - Connecting to SMTP server smtp-mail.outlook.com on port 587
17/03/2023, 10:16:44: SEND  - Initiating TLS handshake
>17/03/2023, 10:16:44: SEND  - Certificate S/N: 0F12DC8955821D6D936BCF34E50F60C5, algorithm: RSA (2048 bits), issued from 7/26/2022 to 7/25/2023 11:59:59 PM, for 23 host(s): outlook.com, *.clo.footprintdns.com, *.hotmail.com, *.internal.outlook.com, *.live.com, *.nrb.footprintdns.com, *.office.com, *.office365.com, *.outlook.com, *.outlook.office365.com, attachment.outlook.live.net, attachment.outlook.office.net, attachment.outlook.officeppe.net, attachments.office.net, attachments-sdf.office.net, ccs.login.microsoftonline.com, ccs-sdf.login.microsoftonline.com, hotmail.com, mail.services.live.com, office365.com, outlook.office.com, substrate.office.com, substrate-sdf.office.com.
>17/03/2023, 10:16:44: SEND  - Owner: "US", "Washington", "Redmond", "Microsoft Corporation", "outlook.com".
>17/03/2023, 10:16:44: SEND  - Issuer: "US", "DigiCert Inc", "DigiCert Cloud Services CA-1". Valid from 9/25/2020 to 9/24/2030 11:59:59 PM.
>17/03/2023, 10:16:44: SEND  - Root: "US", "DigiCert Inc", "www.digicert.com", "DigiCert Global Root CA". Valid from 11/10/2006 to 11/10/2031.
17/03/2023, 10:16:44: SEND  - TLS handshake complete
17/03/2023, 10:16:44: SEND  - connected to SMTP server
17/03/2023, 10:16:59: SEND  - WARNING: there were no compatible authentication mechanisms detected
17/03/2023, 10:16:59: SEND  - sending message to redacted@redacted.com
!17/03/2023, 10:17:04: SEND  - Server reports error. The response is: 5.7.57 Client not authenticated to send mail. Error: 535 5.7.3 Authentication unsuccessful [LO4P265CA0247.GBRP265.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM 2023-03-17T10:17:06.291Z 08DB26BDCB0983EC]
!17/03/2023, 10:17:04: SEND  - Connection to host broken (last commands sent were: "MAIL FROM:<redacted@hotmail.com> SIZE=331", "RSET")
17/03/2023, 10:17:04: SEND  - connection finished - 0 message(s) sent
17/03/2023, 10:17:04: SEND  - Some messages were not sent - check the log for details
are there any solutions?

FIRST thing to check is your version of The Bat. You must have version 9.2.3 or higher to work with Microsoft's latest OAuth2 requirements. Launch The Bat! and press ALT + F1 to check.

Second, make sure your account transport settings match those for your Microsoft hosted email. Check in these places:
  1. Login to Microsoft email online
  2. From the Inbox, click the "Settings" gear in the very top, right
  3. Click "View all Outlook settings"  link at the very bottom of the Settings panel
  4. Under "Mail" top category, click "Sync email" category  
  5. Check these settings again those in The Bat
The Bat > Left-click Inbox > CTRL + SHIFT + P > (Account Properties) > Transport

Connection Type: In Receive Mail section, check Protocol (under "Authentication" button)
Make sure MAIL and SMTP server in The Bat match the right settings shown in "Outlook Settings". If using POP3 connection in The Bat, make sure it is enabled in Outlook Settings.

For authentication, User = youremail@yourdomain.com even though The Bat setup will assume only youremail without the @yourdomain.com part.

Send Mail > "Authentication" > select "Perform SMTP Authentication", "Use Specific Settings", and "Require secure authentication"

Receive Mail > Authentication > OAUTH (if unavailable, you must upgrade)

Accept all Account Properties changes and click "Receive new mail"

A window will appear asking for your login. You will also have to set up multi-factor authentication using than authentication app.

Good luck. Sorry about my poor formatting.
Edited: Martin Adamczyk - 09 May 2023 02:50:08

I'm curious - I have the most up-to-date Ver of TB!, 10.3.3.3 (64 bit - home) but the OAUTH (using Web Browser) still will not highlight for me to choose it. Is there something I need to do to link it to a browser for it to work?

Info -  win10, setting up with office365 mail that uses OAuth2 giving the common error of unknown user name or bad password after doing copy/paste with password since I'm unable to select the OAUTH option in  TB!'s properties for the account.  This is trying to set up with POP as I prefer using POP. If I choose to set up the new account with the "auto" option instead of the "pop/IMAP" option it automatically checks the OAuth2 for me. This works however I get an error after any connection to the email server of "Folder \ has empty IMAP name" which causes a ding every few seconds. I have not been able to find what causes this or how to fix it yet. Any suggestions on either issue would be welcome.

Thank you for any info.
Edited: suzi schwartz - 26 May 2023 20:44:50

FYI In case anyone needs the answer, I did find the answer to the error "Folder \ has empty IMAP name" on a German TB! Board

https://www.batboard.net/thread/15261-empty-imap-name/

This worked. I did notice prior to this that the IMAP Folder Management would give me a number of folders but not a list of them, even if I clicked to download it. This fix forced the list to fully populate and corrected the error and stopped the constant ding!! I'm not a member of that board as it's in German but if the guy (user: ride) that wrote it reads this - thank you so much for coming back after you resolved it to post the answer! It inspired me to do the same in hopes it helps someone else.

~Suzi

Is there any way to reset and force OAuth again?
Because I suspect I used wrong settings for SMTP and I'm still getting
"Server reports error. The response is: 5.7.57 Client not authenticated to send mail. Error: 535 5.7.3 Authentication unsuccessful"
I removed account in TB but somehow it remembers my account settings I suspect.
Unfortunately my live.com is the most important account for me - other 3 accounts work properly including GMail but not this one.
Of course current version which I just bought after long pause.
I can't imagine not to use Outlook account tbh. And it works for 3 other applications I'm using - but MailMate and Spark are for Apple devices while Thunderbird is a bit too slow for my Thinkpad x200 :) I use mainly mac but from time to time I have to use only Windows and I though I can check how my favorite mail client. And to be honest - not too good :(
Edited: Wojtek P - 30 November 2023 00:08:59
Pages: 1