Pages: 1
RSS
A possible workaround for some of the numerous bugs in the HTML and RTF editors

Given the histories of TB's HTML and RTF editors, it seems that the many bugs in both will likely never be fixed.  I have found a workaround kluge for some of the issues encountered when trying to clear the formatting on a block of text that has mixed fonts and point sizes and then trying to change the text to a single font with a single size. In the HTML mode especially, TB does not seem to be capable of actually clearing all the formatting in a selected section of code and then setting it to a common font and size.

As a result, any time I am using TB to reply to emails I leave a copy of Notepad open.  Any text I would normally type directly into the TB editor I instead type into Notepad, or if there is any text I am replying to I paste it into Notepad.  That completely clears any formatting because Notepad is text only.  I then paste it into TB, select it, and make any font and size changes I need.  That always works.  I initially tried changing only the area of interest to plain text directly in TB by selecting its text-only editor, but that changes the entire email's text.  I've also attempted to use a 3rd party HTML editor (such as the old Microsoft "Front Page" app) to edit these emails but that has not worked out very well.

Does anyone know of an email app that provides a good HTML or RTF editor?  I was thinking I could prepare all email responses in it and then paste them into TB for sending.

I may try to assist but I am not clear on what you are describing. In what mode are you in, are you writing html code, is this simply a "Reply", can you start at the beginning?

batshades wrote:
I may try to assist but I am not clear on what you are describing. In what mode are you in, are you writing html code, is this simply a "Reply", can you start at the beginning?
The problems are different but equally annoying between HTML and RTF mode.  It makes no difference whether it is a Reply or New email.  I have gone back-and-forth with TB support several times and they acknowledge that there are problems with both editors.  However, it seems to me that they have moved on to other things and that the editors are now a very low priority.  That's why I posted a suggestion and question about using a different editor then pasting the HTML into TB :-)

I had an HTML editor problem with the previous Christmas version. When I pasted any image after my text, the text was deleted.

I have updated to the last version and now it seems it works. However, before this update I did a backup, then uninstall the old version, and install  the recent version importing the backup.

I have done one test message with the PureHTML editor, inserting image and tables, changing font types and sizes, and now it seems all is preserved.

I don't know if the uninstall and restore process has something to do.  Anyway I leave here in case it can helps.  
Edited: Julian M - 07 April 2023 22:13:45 (correction)
Pages: 1