Pages: 1
RSS
Upgrading from V7 to V10. Any issues?, Are there issues upgrading from V7 to V10

Hi. Just purchased an upgrade from 7.4.16 (64-bit) to v10 64-bit mainly to get TLS 1.2.

As this is a big jump in versions is there any potential issue I should be aware of or precautions I should take?

Note: I don't use the TB Backup/Restore as I have drive image daily backups using Macrium Reflect. Also my executables are on the F: drive and my data on the H: drive. Also I have 11 email accounts (all pop3) and I have circa 26,000 email messages over 100s of folders and sub-folders. I always detach my attachments so the total size is 'just' 764MB.

Thanks
Alan
Edited: Alan Cooper - 07 March 2023 17:31:05 (extra note)

I don't recall hearing about any major issues, but as I'm still using v8 myself, I'm not really qualified to comment on that. However, one thing that I do before a major upgrade is to make a separate backup of the registry settings, using David Kirk's utility. See https://www.ritlabs.com/en/auth-forums/forum4/topic12953/
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel van Rooijen,  Many thanks. The Registry backup seems to be applicable for restoring the same version of TB. I have no doubt that the latest V10 has more registry entries than V7 so that means I think that I need to install V10 over V7.  

If I were to uninstall V7 I get the impression this will delete the registry entries and I will then have to reconfigure all my accounts. Do you agree?

Whatever option I take I will backup my TB data on H: and do a System Restore Checkpoint and backup of Windows on C: first. I might do a TB Backup + DK's registry backup as a 2nd line of recovery.

Regards,Alan

Alan Cooper wrote:
If I were to uninstall V7 I get the impression this will delete the registry entries and I will then have to reconfigure all my accounts. Do you agree?
Not necessarily. All relevant account information is kept in the folders where account-related files are stored, so in the case of a clean install all you would need to do is start creating a new account, point it to the appropriate folder, and TB would recognize all the account settings. You could lose some other settings which are kept in the registry, but accounts should be fine. However, in your case since you have so many accounts that could be a bit of a chore. Also, I am not sure whether file formats were changed between v7 and v10 (I think they weren't).

That was my experience so far. The biggest "jump" I made was from v5 to v8.

Like Miloš said, your account data is stored along with the messagebase(s) in your mail folder. That's the most important folder to have a backup of.  The registry backup that I suggested would be just in case that you would want/need to restore your v7 configuration if v10 for any reason doesn't suit you.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

First to report the upgrade from V7 to V10.3.3.3 (64bit) went OK and I've been running OK for 6 days, except there was one system exception. I had this on V7 occasionally. I will capture next time it happens.

I could not run David Kirk's utility to save TB registry entries as Norton removed the file saying it was a virus but I had exported the whole registry and backed up the C: drive prior to updating. Not a fan of Norton but I had Bullguard installed and Norton took them over and simply updated me to Norton without asking!

I'm a bit disappointed that some rough edges to the product have not been addressed since V7. I will list them as separate postings

Thanks to everyone that gave advise.

Alan

Rest assured that the anti-malware warning was a false positive.
Pages: 1