Pages: 1
RSS
The Bat Voyager synchronization, Activation issue

I'd like to use The Bat! Voyager, but I have a problem with the activation procedure.

I can activate it on my C: drive or my USB drive, no problem.  But what I want to do is use it on my C: drive and be able to just copy the entire Voyager directory to my USB drive.  The problem is, when I try to run it on the USB drive after syncing the folder, the activation is not valid.

Please advise, thank you!

The activation is volume dependent. That is to say it uses the volume name for its activation.

You'd best only copy the MAIL directory (and contents of course) to the USB stick (and back)

This somewhat defeats the purpose of having Voyager in the first place.  I'd really like to be able to just copy my (encrypted) email setup anywhere I want to and be able to use it.  My Bat folders are almost 400 megabytes, and all but the most expensive USB drives are just too slow to run it when I need to search all of my emails for something.  Tieing Voyager activation to the USB drive makes it very inconvenient.

Also, I'd be curious to know when/if I will hit a wall with activations.  How many times can I activate it on a new volume before it tells me no?

Maybe I am going about this the wrong way.

I can already encrypt a volume in my USB drive with TrueCrypt or any number of other encryption tools.  Would it be possible for me to just mirror my The Bat! Pro folder(s) and use them from the USB drive in a pinch?  Or does The Bat! Pro require a formal installation to work?

Thanks.

I use the Bat! PRO with eToken on the laptop and the Voyager on USB-Flash.
Both are encrypting "on the fly".

I really like that product! :)

I think using the Voyager on the regular machine is kind of wrong idea...
winXP-SP3 Pro, the Bat! v4.0.38

Is there a faster way to synchronize between The Bat Pro and Voyager than using the multi-step synchronization tool?

It would be ideal for me if Voyager could simply import my The Bat! mail from my main drive right from the main files, without me having to do anything in The Bat pro.

Did you try to Backup on one installation and then do a Restore on another?
winXP-SP3 Pro, the Bat! v4.0.38

Yes.  That is how I get it going.  However, that process is still time consuming and since Voyager is just a different build of The Bat, it would be logical that it should be able to simply import The Bat message folders from my hard drive without me needing to go through a backup process.

I don't mean to sound like a complainer.  I actually think The Bat! is the best email client available and I love using it.  I'm just trying to find the simplest, fastest way to "back up" my mail to my flash drive on a routine basis.

If I could run the backup process from the command line, that would be helpful -- then I could schedule a backup overnight.  But it doesn't look like there is a command line option for backing up.

If I could run the backup process from the command line, that would be helpful -- then I could schedule a backup overnight.
You can schedule a backup with TB's scheduler, that's how I'm doing my weekly backup for TB pro.

Is there a faster way to synchronize between The Bat Pro and Voyager than using the multi-step synchronization tool?

No.

I'm having TBV to leave my messages on the server and BCC all outgoing mail to myself, so that I'm getting a copy on my TB pro config for every message.

Would it be possible for me to just mirror my The Bat! Pro folder(s) and use them from the USB drive in a pinch? Or does The Bat! Pro require a formal installation to work?

TBpro needs a formal installation to work. What you could do is to use a TBpro and TBV with the same password. Then you could copy the message base to your USB stick for TBV to read if it's really necessary.

Thanks for all the tips!

I am absolutely delighted by TBV, and very grateful to Ritlabs for making it available for no charge - now that's good customer service!

What I would really like to be able to do is to synchronize just the inbox of each of my accounts, without any subfolders within the inbox.  Is this possible?  The backup/restore method described above does everything, and I've not managed to get the sync method to work properly - and doesn't that also do everything?  

So my ideal would be a selective synchronization - I hope someone will tell me this is possible from within TB or TBV, and if not, then that there is some clever workaround that will do the trick.

Thanks in advance for any help you might give...
Pages: 1