Pages: 1
RSS
PLEASE HELP: Bat cannot see previous email folders upon re-install

Hello,

I'm royally screwed here.  I tried the limited trial of Bat 3.0, having been a registered user of previous versions.  After the trial was over, I re-installed Bat 2.12, but it wouldn't/couldn't see that I already had an existing configuration.  It kept prompting me to either create a new account or import a backup.
 This is dire - I'm at work, this is my email app, and I desperately need to access review my email.  I cannot understand why this is happening.  The Bat has never done this before.
 I tried going back to 3.0, but it was the same thing: it couldn't recognize my previous configuration.  I know my Mail folder is still there (thank god).  I don't understand what the problem is.

Please - I hope somebody can help me out here.

Install TB
Tell it to install a new account
It'll ask where to place your mail directory, point it to the existing one
It'll ask for a new account, give it the name of your existing account, TB will take the settings from the existing setup.

Done this the last days several times for v3 (some thing went definitely wrong while beta testing) and it worked every time without any problems.
You might decide to make a copy of your maildirectory before you're doing this, but I don't expect any problems. (My advice is free, so I don't give any guarantuees ;) )

When you're using multiple accounts, repeat the "Add account" procedure for all existing accounts.

BTW When you're usng smtp authentication you probably need to check that option while installing the account.
For some reason TB doesn't pick that up while recapturing the account info.

Many thanks for the reply!  Strange that it can't look beyond the Mail folder for existing accounts.

I really wanted to like v3.0, but it seems unfinished. It kept prompting me before exiting with "there are unfinished actions, would you like to allow them to finish before closing?".  Other things: the icons look mickey mouse, and the Connection Centre sometimes won't hide when finished checking.  Disappointing.

Regardless - thanks very much for your tip!

Strange that it can't look beyond the Mail folder for existing accounts.

Well, you could argue about that. Suppose you're using different user accounts in XP, but all use the same mail client. For archiving purposes it would come in real handy to have everybody use the same mail directory even though they're using different accounts.

For the same situation you could use an alternate mail directory for every user, so TB should not expect a  certain account to be his/hers (depending on the gender of your bat)

I really wanted to like v3.0, but it seems unfinished
Check again next week, my guess is that the current beta has been finished by then. The current release candidates are a huge improvement over 3.0