Pages: 1
RSS
How To CHANGE Master Password

Can someone tell me how to change (or remove completely) the actual master password that opens The Bat. Note, Im not talking about the passwords for the email accounts but rather the MAIN access pw as soon as The Bat launches.
Im running the Christmas version 3.64.01 Professional.

Thanks so much for any assistance! ;)  

I take it that you've installed TB with ON The Fly Encryption (OTFE), that means an encrypted message base. You can check whether that is the case by checking the file names of your message base.
When you're running without encryption, you'll find in your mail directory a subdirectory for each of your accounts (with the same names). Those account directories contain subdirectories for each of the folders in that account, those subdirectories and those folders have the same name.
With OTFE those subdirectories have encrypted names, that can't be recognized.

When you're running OTFE, the only way to get rid of your master password is to create a full backup of TB with TB's internal backup system.
Uninstall TB.
Move the messagebase to a different location (just to be sure in case your backup fails)
Install TB again.
When run, TB will ask whether you want to use OTFE (when you want to run without master password you've got to choose 'No')
In case you select OTFE you'll be prompted for a password an next whether you want to restore a backup a create new accounts.
Restore your backup.

The difference with using OTFE or not is that your messages are stored as plain text when you don't use OTFE. This means that your mail can be read with any text editor even when you've protected your account with a password. This is the only way you can run with TB's home edition.
When you're using OTFE, your messages are stored encrypted. This means that they can't be read, except via TB and using the master password, as that's an essential key for the encryption.
It's also possible to use OTFE in connection with a hardware token, this means that you need both your hardware key and your password to decrypt the mail. Naturally this means that when you loose your hardware token your mail is irretrievable lost even when you've still got your password.

1. How can I change the master password?
2. Is it possible the give the master password as commandline parameter?

1. How can I change the master password?

Create a backup
Uninstall TB
Delete your existing message base
Install TB
Choose a new master password
Restore your backup

2. Is it possible the give the master password as commandline parameter?
No