Pages: 1
RSS
Too large tbb files, Why is tbb for empty folder that large and how to make it smaller

messages.tbb file in my Mail\account\trash folder has around 150MB although I don't have any message in trash folder for that account
How can I make that file smaller and why is this happening?

The messages are still stored in your trash folder, just marked as deleted. T really remove deleted messages you need to compress the folder.

You can do that compressing manually via the maintenance centre or automatically on exit.

In order to compress your trash on exit you need to go to the folder properties of the trash folder, select additional and check the 'On exit: compress the folder' option.
This can be done for every individual folder.

You can set the compressing also for every folder in your account via:
Account -> Properties -> Options -> Compress all folders on exit
At this location is also an option to 'Empty trash folder on exit'

I strongly advise to regularly compress all folders, keeps your message base from corrupting and saves hard disk real estate.
Compressing everything on exit makes closing TB a bit slower, but I think it's worth it. When you never close TB you can set a schedule in the scheduler to compress all folders (preferrably on a time you're not behind the computer)

thanks for fast, clear and useful answer

I have "Compress all folders on exit" option checked and I patiently waited on exit so Bat can compress everything, but trash still had that 150MB size

right clicking on folder and selecting Compress helped me so now trash/messages.tbb is 50kb

thanks once again

Actually 50 kB is too big for an empty folder.
You might consider closing TB and delete the messages.tbb and .tbi files from your trash folder and start TB again.
TB will create them when needed.

Nice to know that. I've been doing it for years and just assumed that it was okay.  

well, i actually had a 2gig outbox file that was empty viewed through The bat! ! this blocked the sending of new mails for there's a 2gig limit.

You might consider closing TB and delete the messages.tbb and .tbi files from your trash folder and start TB again.
TB will create them when needed.

that's what i did with my outbox folder and it worked like a charm.

so you actually advise to compress all folders. how dangerous is it? i mean, if a file gets corrupted, is there anyway to get it back? or would it be possible for a different programm to open it?

Thanks,

R a d

Compressing a folder is not dangerous at all. TB creates a new file and doesn't remove the old file before its replacement is ready.
Not compressing is risky, because it'll give a lot of chance for corruption. Especially when you've got an inbox with a lot of messages.

.tbb files can be read by all text editors (provided that they can read files big enough. As soon as you start using OTFE (On The Fly Encryption of the message base) the message base files get the extension .ebb and those cqan't be read by other programs.

Thanks Roelof.
Pages: 1