Pages: 1
RSS
Message base optimisation, How to reduce the message base size

I have the problem that my message base is rather large. I have "Compress on exit" set, and this takes a painfully long time.

Every 6 weeks or so, I run integrity checks and run the full maintenance system on my entrie message base. This only makes the issue worse. Though admitidly, gets gets better over the 6 weeks.

This seems backwards, to have a slow message base, after running checks and compression.

Right now, my setup includes 3 accounts. My primary one, with all my mail filtering into subfolders. A dormant account (no longer used, but with a large message base). I also have a seperate e-bay mail account, with specific templates and what not, using it as a way to seperate messages dealt with, stuff dispatched and the rest of "how to be a seller on ebay" junk.

I keep saying to myself, that I should scrap my entire message base, and start from scratch, to get the best speed benefit. But then I keep remembering I need most of that information.

Can anybody suggest the best way to reduce my message base size, or speed the genral use of it up. preferably step-by-step, or at least some form of order.

Thanks in advance

What do you call "rather large"?

I have 190,000 messages in my main account and 280,000 in my archive account. I don't find anything particularly slow about it.

Concerning "compress on exit", this is only going to affect the folders that have that attribute enabled. I have actually turned this off for most folders and compress manually every few weeks with only inbox and outbox (the high traffic areas) compressed on exit.
iviarck

Reducing your messagebase is easy, just delete messages. However, you mentioned that you can't miss lots of your messages, so the best way is to store old messages in separate folders.
It may seem odd, but it's not the total size of your message base that determines the time needed, but it's the size of the folders that are being compressed.
Let's first explain what compressing is. When you delete/move a message from a folder, the message won't really disappear from your folder, it's only marked as deleted. (That's why you can browse through the deleted messages) When you compress a folder, TB checks whether there are deleted messages and when there are any TB will compress it it, while it'll do nothing when there aren't any deleted messages.
Resuming: a 20 MB folder without deleted messages wont take any time. A 50 kB folder with 100 deleted messages won't take much time, since it won't need much time to build it up. But a 10 MB folder with one delete message will take the most time.
When you look into TB's directory structure on disk, you'll see that subfolders are separate directories with their own message base. So when you'd like to keep your regular storing system, you simply create  a couple of subfolders called archive (or whatever) and move your oldest messages into them. The first time you set out to compress your messagebase after this, it'll take some time, but you'll find it'll be better the next time.
Note that it isn't just the number of messages and their that makes a messagebase big, but also the number of attachments and their size. I've got this one folder with the setting to keep messages for 365 days and it was really slow in maintenance while exiting, even though it just had less than 100 messages, but every month I'm getting a Word document attached in that folder and some of those attachments were really huge like filesizes of 35 MB, due to the inefficiency of MIME encoding that makes those messages something like 50 MB. So that made a huge folder of 250 MB, considering that my folder with the most messages (23000) is only 82 MB. What I did was keeping those attachments as separate files and delete them from the messages, that was quite an improvement in speed when compressing.
That leaves us to the Inbox. All of your received messages come in the Inbox, from where they'll be filtered to other folders or manually transported. In order to speed up compressing of your Inbox, you'd better not keep a real amount of messages in it (or lots of attachments), especially since the Inbox a high traffic folder is easily corrupted. (I've never had any troubles with it, but I've heard lots of people complainingabout it, especially those who keep almost everything in it.)
These are the guidelines for proper folder use as I see them. I hope it helps.
BTW Even though TB supports (depending on your OS) folder message base larger than 2 GB, a folder that big is never a good idea.