Pages: 1
RSS
Funny error when sending mail to .com e-mails

As the topic title says when i try to email to a .com address I get an unknown gateway error any help appretiated

When you get that error only when sending mail to .com addresses, it's probably a misconfiguration by your ISP.

A little more info about what error and which ISP might help.
Do you get the error for every .com address?
Don't you get the same error for any non .com address?(Do you get this error also when you're sending a message to onlyvalid05-11-2004@krakeel.org )

The errror reads server reply-not local host not a gateway my isp is bulldog.com and yes it also happens when i try to post to the address you mention

bulldog.com gets me to coffeeshop chain in the Netherlands, so I guess you mean Bulldog Broadband in London UK

It looks like they don't offer any mail services. So my best guess is that you're trying to send mail via another provider. That provider refuses the mail, because you're not logged in via his network.
It's possible that your mail provider supports something like SMTP authentication.

So I need more specific information.

Am I right about the ISP you're using, if not provide me with a link?
What servers do you use to collect and send mail?
Am I right in guessing that you only can send mail to addresses local to the smtp server you're using?

Yes bulldogdsl.com london but bulldog do offer e-mail through their my-bulldog services which i subscribe to which gives me their e-mail (paul@swirllygig.my-bulldog.com) and web site space I also use my old btinternet.co.uk to collect mail to that address and i cannot send mail to any address that ends with .com .net etc. Yet if I use outlook the mail goes OK so I am assuming it is a prob with the bat.
mail setings smtp.my-bulldog.com and mail.mybulldog.com

Sorry for all this trouble but i am desperate to get away from outlook as a mail program    :D  

mail setings smtp.my-bulldog.com and mail.mybulldog.com
According to bulldog, both should read

mail.my-bulldog.com

As far as I can see that should work, I haven't looked into the btinternet settings. Is it your bulldog or your btinternet account that causes troubles?

Sorry for all this trouble but i am desperate to get away from outlook as a mail program
I can imagine that, I've never liked it.

Ha ha ive cracked it i was messing around with the settings and set mail send to be authenticated same as for receive and the mail went.
Thanks for all you're trouble to try and solve it.
Paul  :D  
Pages: 1