Pages: 1
RSS
Bat hangs after transmission if I dialup inside Bat, Only a dialup before launching Bat exits transmission cleanly

I have recently upgraded to The Bat V3.0 Professional edition. I'm using it under Win XP Home edition using dial-up. I was upgrading from V1.6 Personal edition. Using that version I have always successfully been able to use the good Bat facilities for making a dial-up connection from inside TheBat.

With the V3 that I have now I have no problem either receiving or sending mail so long as I use a dial-up connection which Ive previously established already OUTSIDE TheBat.

However - If I use the options for dialing-up from INSIDE the Bat when there is no network connection already available, then I have trouble.

In the Options/Network & Administration dialogue I would normally be using...

- Dial-Up Network Connection [BTOW] (ie. British Telecom Open World)
- Use an existing Dial-up connection (if any)

With these settings if I then try a send or receive from inside TheBat (when in a disconnected state), TheBat will connect up allright for me and message(s) will be sent/received Ok. So far so good. The problem is that control does not auto-return to TheBat nor can I even manually return control to it (by direct click, or through the taskbar). TheBat is 'hung', and I find that the only way to get out is to Close TheBat using a right-click on its taskbar icon (on the pop-up menu 'Close' is the only option not greyed-out).

Trying hard to find some work-around, I find I can improve on this situation slightly by setting-on and so enabling the 'Auto-Disconnect on mail transmission' option (in the Network & Administration dialogue box).
With this option ticked and enabled, TheBat duly disconnects after transactions are completed. Control/focus still does not return to TheBat automatically however, as it should, but at least this time I can now return focus and control to TheBat by manually clicking on the Bat taskbar icon (or on the Bat screens themselves). So by using 'Disconnect on mail transmission' enabled in this way I am at least
not reduced to being completely 'hung' - as I always am if I disable the 'Auto-Disconnect on mail transmission' option.

As I say, over several years use I have had no trouble with my V1.6 Home edition in connecting from Inside TheBat. So having to work-around this problem all the time with V3 is annoying, but at least I'm not reduced to a standstill.

Have you any idea what might be wrong? Or is this a known bug? If it would help someone sort it I would even be happy to give them details and passwords for my BT connection so that they could replicate the
problem for themselves!! I can always change passwords when its sorted!

Any comments welcome. Thanks. Cheers... John

As I know (from reading posts in different places) it's frequent, but not common problem
And it (probably) related to the fact (dirty idea), that CC creates one additional hidden modal window, which "steals" focus. Because it's modal - you can't swich focus manually, but when CC closed - it also destroyed and you can restore control on focus
It isn't fix, it's only my attempt to explain situation and pure speculation around weird effects
--
Errare humanum est

See BT #0003914 posted 12 Oct 2004

It's not a common problem.
So bug still not fixed, because its reproducibility depends on user computer.
I don't catch conditions of reproducibility.

If anybody can post conditions of reproducibility, i'll be happy.
Pages: 1