Pages: 1
RSS
Corrupted index, Suddenly my Message list shows less messages

I have been a Bat user for years. Recently, one fine morning, the number of messages in my Inbox dropped from some 1500 messages to 40 messages. I lost all messages between two specific dates.

When I tried to backup the email base subsequently, I got an error message that the index for this particular folder was corrupted. That I should recreate the index then attempt the backup again.

How does one recreate a fresh index for an existing .tbb file? If I just delete the .tbi file, I see that the same short .tbi file is being recreated by Bat, which is missing hundreds of messages.

I am using Bat Professional version 4.0.14.

I would very much appreciate your help. Please feel free to write to me at "sreeram at teqnium dot in"

Thanks,
Sreeram
Edited: Sreerama Murthy - 01 May 2008 10:50:40

Regular backups should be made while msg bases are in good state, not after a problem appears.
If theBat can't recreate the index properly, I guess the .tbb is corrupt, not (only).tbi

Try Folder -> Maintanence center, select the problematic folder and check boxes 'Check integrity..', 'Remove..' and 'Compress...'

I have gotten the same problem...

so regular backups is the only way...to avoid this situation..

Because I keep getting the message about the error in the message base...

Regular backups is the only way to be sure that you don't lose stuff, not only for TB, but for computers in general.

However, errors in the message base can be cured with other measures too. Errors in the index file can be cured by creating a new index file, simply by deleting the messages.tbn file corresponding with the problem folder (preferreably with TB closed)
Problems with the actual message base file fopr a folder can be cured by copying all messages in that folder to a new folder and afterwards deleting the messages.tbb file corresponding with the problem folder. (again preferrably with TB closed)
Especially in the latter case this method can do better (though not necessarily) than the mintenance method that bigg one describes.