Pages: 1
RSS
Im+Export in eml and mbox format possible?

In the world of email there are two standards for storage of emails:
eml and mbox.

Can I import and export in and from these formats?

Which of these storage formats uses TheBat internally?

Matt

Internally TB doesn't use either, but is able to import from and export to both formats.

As far as I found out users can NOT recursivly export a whole message folder tree but only all messages from ONE folder at a time.

Do the developers of TheBat expect people with approx 800 message folders to do 800 individual, manual exports?

I cannot imagine that TB is so uncomfortable.

Is there another solution?

Matt
Edited: Matt Adams - 26 April 2012 10:55:42

You're right, exporting is done folder by folder.
My guess is that the development team thought that there might be a reason why somebody would want to export a single folder, but why on earth would you want to export 800 folders?

In case you want to export everything on a regular base, you might consider a cmd file that uses TB with the export parameter (help -> help topics -> advanced use -> command line parameters)
A listing of all folders can be generated by running dir /a:d /s /b from the mail directory and redirecting the output to a file, because in TB every folder has its own directory with the same name. (Unless you're running TB in OTFE)

Here is something to TRY. I had some luck when moving fr om Thunderbird, dragging messages to an intermediate folder wh ere it made MSG files then dragging those into the bat

Another trick to move a bunch of directories is to pipe and XCOPY to send a file directory to the Bats data folder then open the bat and hit control-alt-shift-L and see if it imports the directory structure into the Bat.
I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS MYSELF AND ONLY TRY IT AFTER MAKING A COPY OF THAT ENTIRE FOLDER ELSEWHERE

Roelof Otten wrote:
You're right, exporting is done folder by folder.
My guess is that the development team thought that there might be a reason why somebody would want to export a single folder, but why on earth would you want to export 800 folders?

I use TheBat on my private computer and (have to) use Thunderbird on my office computer.

Sometimes I receive interesting emails which I want to have available in my Thunderbird installation as well. Occasionally I want to pass certain email trees to a colleague as well.

So I need a way to export emails from TheBat installation in an standardized way. Common email standards are MBOX and EML.

It is disappointing that TheBat does NOT offer such an easy recursive export.

I don't want to fiddle around with scripts and cmdline parameters.

How can I issue officially a feature request to the authors?

Implementing such a mentioned recursive MBOX or EML export should be easy to implement.

Thank you
Matt

In your case I'd switch to IMAP instead of POP3, both The Bat! and Thunderbird support that reasonably well.
As for feature reuests, currently there is no official wish list. You might try from TB's menu: Help -> Feedback -> Infomation request.

I use TheBat on my private computer and (have to) use Thunderbird on my office computer.

Sometimes I receive interesting emails which I want to have available in my Thunderbird installation as well.
IMAP is designed to use the same mail account from multiple places. There's no excuse to not use it, if your work demainds it.

Occasionally I want to pass certain email trees to a colleague as well.

So I need a way to export emails from TheBat installation in an standardized way. Common email standards are MBOX and EML.
The Bat! offers satisfactory export capabilities to cover this request.

It is disappointing that TheBat does NOT offer such an easy recursive export.
I don't see any possibility of a recursive export of 800 mail folders in the outlined cases.
Or, using your own words, "I'm disappointed to see a good program mocked for made-up reasons."

You can use the EML to MBOX Converter that can easily convert entire EML files to Apple Mail. Using this solution, you can get entire .eml files into Apple Mail. This software supports only Windows platform so copy entire eml files and use Windows OS for conversion from EML to MBOX by the software and then you can import entire EML files into Apple Mail   http://www.toolsbaer.com/eml-to-mbox-conversion/

This is an extremely helpful thread, on all sides.  

A thought.
Perhaps a backup program like MailStore might help?

5 best free and paid email backup software to use
https://windowsreport.com/email-backup-software/

And I did not see any mocking by anybody :).

Being disappointed about the lack of a feature is understandable. Having workarounds is fine. With a proprietary format, I agree that Ritlabs should be requested to allow some sort of native full export to the standard formats.

Steven
Pages: 1