Pages: 1
RSS
How disable automatic backup?, How disable automatic backup?

The Bat! 4.0.18. Windows 7 64 bit. Problem: Every so often, TB! launches a modal dialog telling me it is doing a backup. But it wants to use a drive for which there is a letter but no drive. It doesn't want to go away. Sometimes I have to use Task Manager to try and kill the process, which sometimes closes the whole TB! application, and I lose any email I am composing.

Question: What is the workaround to disable automatic backups?

Comment: I can't find a backup scheduler in the Backup Maintenance Centre or the Preferences, where a user would expect to find it. I have no idea what determines the timing of the launch of an attempted backup. Apparently some hidden cycle counter. I have unchecked all of the options in the Maintenance Centre, but they recheck themselves. The modal backup dialog starts up by itself with an empty drive letter it has selected by using some algorithm that no competent engineer familiar with the MS Windows environment would ever implement, and then it won't let the user switch to a populated drive. And there appears to be no option for the user to specify a drive. I have specified a drive and archive to use under "Create an update to an existing archive" (a kind of dumb option, considering there is no option in the first instance to specify an archive to be "updated"), just to prevent the backup module from getting itself in a modal dialog dead-end recursion with an empty drive letter, but TB! just ignores my selection and defaults to the same behavior -- attempting a backup which I haven't specified to an empty drive letter that haven't specified, every month or so -- a schedule which I haven't specified. This can occur right in the middle of my composing an email, with the possible result that I have to lose the work in order to kill TB! to make the backup dialog go away.

I have put up with a lot of mediocre user interface features in TB! over many years because I believe in the cause, but this behavior can cause a loss of work in progress, which takes it a level above the mere annoyance of say, the lame font handling and text formatting options in the various editors.

Maybe there is an obvious solution in front of my nose, but I couldn't find the answer in the Help file. So is there anybody here that can tell me how to make the backup function go away and stay away?

Thanks very much,
Stan Robins
Stan Robins

On the main menu TOOLS / SCHEDULER
The auto backup should be the first item. Right click / Properties and disable it.  8)

Very interesting. I didn't even know there was a separate scheduler module. Thanks very much for the help.
Stan Robins
Pages: 1