Pages: 1
RSS
Help: Can't destory a Folder template, Folder Message Templates

I've been experimenting with Message- and Quick-Templates. Now I realised that I've accidentaly created some "New" and "Reply" templates for specific account folders (eg: "inbox" for a given account).

I can't:

• Find a way to delte the folder template (and revert to the default account template)
  • Access a list of the folder templates that I've created

The documentation says:

Do not be afraid to make changes – you can quickly restore the default template by clicking the "Restore Default Template" button.

But this option is available on on the main accounts templates (and if i choose to "restore" in the main account, it does not have any effect on folder templates).

I have now created a unified template system, via Quick-Templates, and I don't need folder-specific templates. If I don't manage to delete/remove those folder templates, it means that every time I change something in the main template I have also to change all the folder templates.

Also, since I can't access from a single place the list of all folder templates in use, I am not sure how many of these are actually in use.

Is there a solution without having to reinstall everything? I can't just delete the "inbox" folder -- that's a main folder tied to an account.

I think that The Bat! needs an interface to access the folder templates hierarchy from a single dialog, so that even when using custom folder templates there would be no need to go in-and-out of each folder's proprieties dialogude, but instead have a tree-like structure showing all templated defined for a given account, offering easy access to each template (for creation, editing and deletion) making it easier to cut and paste snippets from one template to another.

Thanks

Tristano
Edited: Tristano Ajmone - 23 December 2016 14:30:17 (ordered list formatting not working (edited))

Right-click the folder.  Click "Properties".  Delete templates under the "Templates" section.

Mike

mikeyww wrote:
Right-click the folder.  Click "Properties".  Delete templates under the "Templates" section.

Mike
Edited: Peter Toye - 18 October 2017 11:32:34 (Edited before by mistake)
Peter

It can't be done. I contacted support and got this:
In The Bat! there is the following hierarchy of templates: 1. personal  address book contacts' templates; 2. address book groups' templates; 3.  folder templates; 4. account templates.

Once you've modified the templates of a folder the account's templates are ignored and folders' custom templates are used.

If you want to reset folder templates, then you need to close The Bat!,  open that account's folder on the disk and delete the ACCOUNT.FLB file.  Then start The Bat!, that account will only have four default folders,  sel ect any of them and press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+L to restore the rest of the  folders. Now the folder templates are default.

Make use of "Start -> Run -> %email% -> OK" (press Windows+R to invoke "Run") to quickly access the mail data folder.

There is no way to reset a folder template to default from within the  program's interface. In this case you can either resent all folders'  templates as described above or simply copy over the template(s) fr om  "Account\Properties\Templates\...\". Or delete that folder and create a  new one.

In my view, a design fault in TB!  :(  
Peter

Peter Toye wrote:
It can't be done.
In the end I did manage to destroy the folder template ... but because a long time has passed since this post, I can't remember how I managed to do it.

Surely, I didn't manually edit configuration folders, as suggested. I think that I might have just deleted all template contents, and that an empty template was then treated as a lack of template — but I can't vouch this was the solution.

Anyhow, it's possible from within the application UI. Maybe if developers could confirm this here it would be a useful reference.

Ignoring "It can't be done" and armed with the knowledge that Tristano had been successful, I decided to try a few things and think I have found the solution.  It is slightly different dependent on whether the folder is in a POP3 account or an IMAP account.

POP3
In the folder tree, right-click the folder you want to clear templates from.
Sel ect Delete fr om the pop-up menu.
Sel ect "Make invisible".
Sel ect OK - folder will disappear.
Right-click the parent folder of the just "deleted" folder.
Select New, then Folder.
Type in the name of the just "deleted" folder
You will see a warning that the directory seems to be already in use by another folder and asks if you want to use that directory.  Select OK.
The folder will reappear with its original contents but any folder specific templates will be cleared.
There might be other folder specific settings that could be lost.  I have not fully explored that.

IMAP
The procedure for IMAP is virtually the same but instead of "Make invisible", the proper option will be "Hide and leave data intact (unsubscribe)"
The creation of a new folder will take more time in this case since the messages in that folder will need to rebuild on the local computer.  It has not been saved locally..

Note that the Inbox folder can't be deleted, so at this point, I know of no way of clearing those folder-specific templates without deleting the account.

Correction:  The method described in Peter's post does in fact remove the templates fr om the Inbox folder as well.

So, use my method to selectively delete templates fr om subfolders or use deletion of the FLB file to delete all folder specific templates for a given account.
Edited: Richard Trump - 15 July 2018 00:42:22
Pages: 1