Pages: 1
RSS
Incredibly slow sending/receiving!

I made few tests with the same attachment (24MB) sending from the same SMTP account with the same settings in 3 different email clients:

Sending using thunderbird: 12 seconds
Sending using Sylpheed: 40 seconds
Sending using The Bat: 62 seconds

Why The Bat, paid program, is much slower than free ones? It's really annoying.

I observed the same thing for roughly two months!   8-((

I had the same problem. I don't remember exactly how I fixed it, but I know I showed another user the fix at one time.  Maybe you can search my previous posts for the answer.  

I check all your posts, but I didn't found it.

It was a comment I made on another users question.  I found it and pasted it below.  
Write back and let us know if it helps.

I solved the problem on my end. I changed the "Receive Mail" Authentication to RFC-1734. As a bonus, my email now downloads faster. RFC-1734 may not work for you, so try one of the other authentications until you get the results you need. Click Account -> Properties.

~Bob

As I suspect - nothing happens. I'm talking about sending mail, not receiving. And my connection speed (upload) is really great, so I can upload the same attachment on server using FTP in 2 seconds (The Bat needs 62 seconds to send the same file).

I also change almost all parameters in my network card, but without success. Sending is crappy.

Unfortunatelly, this forum is for users only, because Ritlabs programmers are sooo busy to read all that posts (2 per week) and answers users on forum (so everyone can read solutions or at least answers). How they want to sell more copies of The Bat if ritlabs-users communication is so limited? Good luck.

EDIT: I was testing that on Windows 7 (two different computers, two different versions - 32 and 64bit), today I've check on Windows 8 and sending is faster. Much faster. Strange.
Edited: Frank Fornovsky - 25 February 2014 20:26:29

I have no complaints about the the download transfer speed (POP,) either - however, I'm not at all satisfied with the upload transfer speed (SMTP.) :(

Here's a screenshot of The Bat! at just about 33.55 Kb/s on my internet connection which has an upload speed of 3.5 Mb/s:--

http://i.imgur.com/orjVMQR.png

ps:--
What's surprising is that I was receiving the same SMTP transfer speed on The Bat! even with my earlier internet connection which was relatively slower (1.5 Mb/s.) :o

cheers,
^ _ ^
Battie
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 8.1 Pro (64-bit) | The Bat! Pro 6.2.14 | MailWasher Pro 7.3.0 (Beta)

Same problem with the almost latest version 9.5.1 TheBat Voyager,
Windows 7Pro sending to SMTP is 44Kb/s
Windows 10Pro same program and everything else 4MB/s

How to fix this?

Maybe you can find a clue in the log file if you go to the Account Properties | Transport | Protocol Logging and turn logging on for SMTP.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

The log file shows a timeout

8/29/2022, 12:45:27: SEND  - Connecting to SMTP server servername.lt on port 25
8/29/2022, 12:45:28: SEND  - connected to SMTP server
8/29/2022, 12:45:28: SEND  - authenticating (login)...
8/29/2022, 12:45:28: SEND  - sending message to servername@servername.com
!8/29/2022, 12:46:28: SEND  - Connect failed. Connection timed out
!8/29/2022, 12:46:28: SEND  - Cancel requested by operator - 0 of 1 messages sent

The timeout is 60sec from beginning, seems to be default timeout period.

There is no problems with same portable installation on Windows 10.
The Windows 7 computer also has no problems with same setup and thunderbird free email client. It works fast and no errors on POP and IMAP too.

My Voyager is configured to use POP, and there is no easy way to go to IMAP right. How to solve this?

How to solve this?

First, I'd double-check if the settings under Account Properties | Transport | Send Mail section (including under the Authentication button) are really 100% identical on the slow and fast computers.

(note: this dialog screen is also where the 60s time-out is configured, you could set up a shorter waiting period but that would only reduce the nuisance, not solve it)

Then I'd check if there are any defunct old plugins configured under Options | Preferences | Plug-Ins.

Then, I'd check the configuration of my antivirus/firewall/antimalware to see if it is messing with outgoing connections (maybe white-list the smtp server) and with outgoing mail in particular.

Then, I'd reboot Windows in 'Safe Mode + Networking' mode and try sending out some messages again, to make it even less likely that 3d party software is interfering with the SMTP connection.

If that hasn't helped either, I'd do a thorough Google search for "Windows 7 slow SMTP" to see what other people have dealt with, and I'd check my provider's help forum to read up about any SMTP problems.

If all of that fails, I might use a different SMTP server.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.
Pages: 1