Pages: 1
RSS
Gmail and IMAP, anyone have them working correctly with The Bat!?

I just wondered if anyone has Gmail and IMAP working correctly with The Bat! as a client?  I'm using Gmail to send and receive emails for my private domain, I'm using The Bat! (latest version) and IMAP as my client.

I've setup a bunch of sorting filters on The Bat! side to sort my messages to various folders, which might be confusing gmail.

I've got them "working" if you don't look too closely.  For instance:
  • I have emails that I have deleted in The Bat! coming back in The Bat! all the time.   So I have to delete them again, sometimes they stay deleted then sometimes they don't.
  • I have a Gmail folder that was somehow created in The Bat! (under the associated account) that doesn't have an equivalent on the Gmail.  No idea what it and its associated folders underneath it are about?
  • Search in The Bat! doesn't work (never finds things that I know exist).  However I can get it to work if I go and sel ect all the emails and give them time to download fr om the IMAP server.  I assumed, like other email clients that I've had, that once I looked at an email and it downloaded local it would stay local, but evidentally not.
I'm just wondering if anyone has this working completely and correctly?  I'm also wondering if I should give up and switch to POP or just use gmail as my client (or another client?)?

thanks!

You mentioned using Gmail for your private domain. I'm wondering if that might be an area to explore. I have a gmail account in IMAP that works flawlessly, but I'm unclear on the private domain setup. Not that I can advise on it, but I'm unfamiliar with using gmail for other than a gmail account. I do suggest disabling the filters while you pursue this issue, since you mentioned a concern that they may be causing the confusion. Good luck.
david

I don't think the private domain matters much.  Google simply configures so gmail picks up email for your private domain (and then charges you $5 per email address).

The filters are pretty important, though if I knew that was the issue I could try configuring them so they are all done on gmail.  Though that would make me wonder why I'm using a client at all.

Of course I move my emails to different folders using the filters.  I could see where if that wasn't properly communicated that could cause confusion using IMAP.  But if that was the problem I'd expect to see emails showing up in the wrong folders and I haven't seen that yet.

After using this for awhile now I wouldn't recommend using The Bat! as an email client for Gmail IMAP.  It's constantly screwing up in obvious and subtle ways. Now I'm finding duplicates of emails all over the place.

Not sure how I'm going to proceed.  I guess my options are using The Bat! as a POP client for GMAIL, doing all the smarts like filters on Gmail side or just getting rid of The Bat! all together.

Please consider that many hundreds (or thousands) of people are using TB! with GMAIL IMAP, so there is a possibility that your problem is local to you. In your first post you stated that your filters may be part of the problem. In your second post you indicate you might fix, but only if you were certain that was the issue - but no one can state that without viewing the filters. My suggestion is to use another email client. Good luck.  

Well I've had no response fr om anyone who uses The Bat! with Gmail IMAP, so not sure wh ere you get hundreds or thousands use it?  If that was true that would certainly have been good to know.

And I didn't try changing the filters simply because it was a lot of work and it made no sense why that would be the problem.

In any case, I got a response from The Bat! support which had me delete some files which caused The Bat! to recreate everything and resync which has mostly cleaned everything up.  The only thing I'm still having problems with so far is search not working (though that even worked once).

Allen Irwin wrote:
Well I've had no response fr om anyone who uses The Bat! with Gmail IMAP, so not sure wh ere you get hundreds or thousands use it?  If that was true that would certainly have been good to know.

And I didn't try changing the filters simply because it was a lot of work and it made no sense why that would be the problem.

In any case, I got a response from The Bat! support which had me delete some files which caused The Bat! to recreate everything and resync which has mostly cleaned everything up.  The only thing I'm still having problems with so far is search not working (though that even worked once).

I tried to use The Bat! with IMAP Gmail but it always doing something stupid. No matter what config i do on Gmail settings page or The Bat! preferences (addresses, ports, and anything i can tinker with and change...) it always say "Nooo! i cant!" or "Oooops, what u want fella, get lost!" like just now i got message "!2018/03/05, 11:05:14: IMAP  - 10053 An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine" and my Inbox is empty for today... :/ I try out some other clients, but i think i will go back to best of all i used some time ago -- Windows Live Mail. It is OLD but IT WORKS!

Good luck with your issues tho :)
Edited: Frank Kodis - 05 March 2018 12:57:48

Well, I stand by my earlier statement. Gmail is widely used and if TB! couldn't handle it, TB! would not be as successful as it is. I've used Gmail with TB! from day one and it works perfectly. I have no idea what your problem is and I regret you're experiencing it, but I doubt that TB! is the culprit. But good luck in your pursuits to resolve this.
Edited: david kirk - 06 March 2018 00:21:55

Well i strongly disagree. If you can drive 30-year old rusty car from point A to point B it does not mean you get the same experience as with a new BMW or Mercedes or any other. And this is a paid product! Paid means support, which truly lacks in terms or The Bat + Gmail.

I'm among those thousands of users and i've recently upgraded hoping i can finally manage my gmail rubbish, but i can't! There's no single guide like do this and that and don't do this. I know gmail is stupid, many people aged 30+ like me never died with simple folders and we want folders! But there's nowhere a step-by-step solution to emulate folders in The Bat with gmail. No POP3 in 21st century please! I have multiple devices and i want my mailbox be in sync. Ang gmail does have folders implemented pretty well.

Those were emotions, back to business:
1) You just CAN'T use folders in The Bat similar to Gmail. Yes gmail has folders, if you "Move to" or just drag your email in gmail web, it gets new folder label and looses inbox or other previous folder label. That is moving. If do that in Outlook 2010 via IMAP (8 years old!) it gets moved as well. It you do this in Voyager 8.6.0.4 it gets duplicate labels, bingo!
2) That way (1) is similar to inbox, if you sort mail in The Bat and then open gmail your mails have labels of your folders but they are all in inbox, you have to archive manually!
3) If you're tired with (2) you create a gmail filter for all your labels to archive automatically. It seems to work with the bat but whenever you do a mistake (put in wrong folder) or just return your email from any folder back to inbox, it will disappear from The Bat completely but it will stay in Outlook
4) Gmail users are at least 1/3 of android users i.e. hundreds of millions! Not thousands. Yes The Bat is a great piece of software but it will die as a business if developers will support only remaining thousands.

If you have better experience please share specifics
Edited: V D - 02 November 2018 10:14:47

I stand by my earlier statement. I've used gmail and imap for several years with no problems. Gmail has its idiosyncrasies, but I routinely move messages to and from folders. If you can document a specific issue that does not work, then please file with tech support.

david

Simpatico with all posters here.  (note: I would not blame Ritlabs too much for certain Gmail connection incongruities, it is a tall order.)
Thinking out loud.  .

My simple situation is to forward all my Gmail, fr om various accounts, down to my regular server, saving the Gmail copy.
Wh ere the filtering is easy and the virtual folders are wonderful.
Certain Gmail boxes have their own virtual folders, which always makes me wonder if I might overtax the Virtual system.

Gmail can be cleaned up in its own sweet time. And in rare cases I send mail from Gmail.  It is always there for searching e.g. on my toy (iPad.)

And I tried the Imap once, it was frustrating but maybe it was because I was trying to delete from TheBat! side?
That did not seem to work well, but that could be related to Folder and Label stuff.
If I had a need I might try it again, first on a small Gmail box of 100 or so emails to test.

However, really, I do not see a need.

Your mileage may vary, perhaps if you have TheBat!  on multiple computers trying to access Gmail?
Especially if you have multiple Gmail accounts.

Even then, in my case, the actual non-Gmail server mail will only be on one "master" puter, the home, not the laptop or "office" or mobile toy.

Just thinking out loud.  Wondering if I might want this Imap some day.

In the old days, I thought of doing a backwards forwarding.  Server mail that is NOT from Gmail, or a subset thereof excluding yahoogroups and bulky unneeded stuff like that, would have a copy forwarded to a special Gmail account ( my-verizon-email-on-gmail@gmail.com ).  It is an interesting idea, anybody ever try it?

Your thoughts welcome.

Steven
Edited: Steven Avery - 03 November 2018 17:34:36

I just bought TheBat! 9 Pro and have nothing but problems with my Gmail account. It takes ages to open an email. I have other types of email accounts in TheBat but they are fairly ok. IMAP is an absolute pain with TheBat and Gmail, and it seems to get even worse when we are talking more than average number of emails.
IMAP fine tuning to download full message isn't working properly either with Gmail. It has yet to download a full message without me clicking on it.

david kirk,I run The Bat! on two (2) devices, one is a laptop and the other desktop. I have a regular Gmail account set up as IMAP on both.
However, I don't see sync between the two instances on the Sent Items folder, meaning when I send a message it will show in the Sent Items folder on that machine while not in the other. How can I fix it?

Sync isn't required here. The two computers access the same server. If you send from one, it appears in sent folder on the other. Are you saying it does not work? That would not be a TB! issue, other than having the two PCs using same configuration.
Pages: 1