Pages: 1
RSS
Switched back to v8, Going back to v8 until v9 works better

I can't believe I'm writing a post about going back to an old revision of something, but yeah, I am. Even though v9.1.18 fixed some of the most visible UI problems, there are still so many other things that aren't working right yet. I can't customize the menus for some reason. Changing hotkeys doesn't always seem to work. Tabbing between panes doesn't work as I expect (it takes an extra tab to go "around", but I don't know why).

Anyway, I just re-installed 8.8.9 and pretty much everything works the way I want. I just have to use the /TLS_DISABLE_PERFECT_FORWARD_SECRECY command line parameter so Gmail works.

I'll keep checking to see what the status is on v9, though. When it works as expected, I'll switch back. And I don't mean this post as a gripe. Just hoping to give a little push to Ritlabs on v9 updates.

>> Changing hotkeys doesn't always seem to work.
I use to find few shortcuts that don't work andd write to support about that and after some releases it start to works.
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

Much of what the OP says is true; version 9 has not lived up to expectations, at least not yet. Part of that is, in my opinion, because we, the users, were never told of the new direction and why. We should not have to contact tech support to reinstall features that had been there, as new releases are expected to retain prior features and add new ones. I remain confident that version 9 will find its way and future releases will be encouraging and reinforcing of why we use TB!
Edited: david kirk - 20 June 2020 17:24:35

I uninstalled version 9 immediately because of the disastrous toolbar management: loss of the old configured toolbars, disappearance of certain buttons and choice of size, inability to fix the toolbars in certain places etc. In my group we work a lot from the toolbars, there is no question of losing our configurations and having to train the teams in new processes. And 8.8.9 works very well!

If things were not bad enough, Ritlabs used this version to get some revenue from their loyal customer base. Releasing this as part of v8 and therefore free, would have been been a bad move anyway.

As I understand it, The Bat!'s original chief developer is now back in the driver seat, and he is working very hard to fix the problems. So, don't think your hard-earned upgrade fee was wasted.. I am quite certain that in the not too distant future, your patience (and 'investment') will be rewarded.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

To be fair, I don't feel like the fee was just a tactic to get more money. And I do have some faith that v9 will eventually be something I want to use. It's just not there yet. I hope it will be, and soon, but I'm willing to wait.

And slightly off-topic: I'm a software developer myself, although I work for a medium size company that pays me directly. But if you're a small company, you do need to make some money to keep working. Sure, there are some folks that provide free software, or only charge a one-time fee. But I suspect many of these develop the software as a side job in addition to a "day job". It's a guess, but unless you get something like a hundreds of thousands of user who all pay a one-time fee, it's hard to see how you'd support yourself for years.
Edited: Warner Y - 01 July 2020 03:39:38

Like many others I have faith that 9 will come right but for now i have dropped back to 8.8.9 but as soon as Maxim gives the fixed and stable version 9 that is in the pipeline I will switch back to 9.??

You're in luck. The latest update just came out - and it's full of stuff that's been missing in ver 9.  

david kirk wrote:
You're in luck. The latest update just came out - and it's full of stuff that's been missing in ver 9.  
When you say it's full of missing stuff, does that mean most of the UI is fixed (or back to something like v8)? Do you think there's still a ways to go?

I know, I'm asking for opinions, but I'm not sure I want to install it yet, so I wanted to see what others think of it (if they've installed).

For those interested, the What's New for the just released v9.2.1 is located at: https://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/revision-history/7405/
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

>> Toolbars library is reverted to Toolbar 2000 components (GUI became much faster)
yep, All who's do downgrade to 8-th version can try again 9-th version.
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

Warner Y wrote:
david kirk wrote:
When you say it's full of missing stuff, does that mean most of the UI is fixed (or back to something like v8)? Do you think there's still a ways to go?

I know, I'm asking for opinions, but I'm not sure I want to install it yet, so I wanted to see what others think of it (if they've installed).
I finally got ver. 9.1.18 working well and just got notice of an upgrade to 9.2.  I downloaded it and boy did it mess things up.  I could not even open or reply to any messages.  As soon as I tried to click on a message, it would flash open and then immediately close.  Also, the toolbars reverted back to quick search being loaded and no matter how many times I unchecked it, it would still be there.  I had to do a system restore to get back to a working version of The Bat.  

I finally got ver. 9.1.18 working well and just got notice of an upgrade to 9.2.

I  was happy using 9.1.18 after spending some time to set it up, too. Updating to 9.2.1  ended in mixed feelings: on the one hand, it works well in most cases.  On the other hand, it gets much bigger and buggier:

1. Menu item "Copy URL" in link context menu appears/disappears at random. For some links it never shows "Copy URL" menu item

2. RSS management is painful now: while browsing RSS feeds Bat! works fine, but when I try to delete a message, it sometimes silently crashes. Someties it restart automatically, sometimes does not. Usually it happens rarely, but once I got 4 crashes when reading and deleting messsges in an RSS feed with only around 45 messages. That is frustrating. To make things worse, sometimes it deletes message and crash right before changing message index, so after restart one may see an empty RSS message list which states that there 1(one) or more unread message. It is fixable with "compacting" all the messages including email boxes(due to: when trying to compact only RSS, Bat! complains that there is nothing to compact).
I opened tickets for both troubles and I am waiting for them to fix.

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
For those interested, the What's New for the just released v9.2.1 is located at:  https://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/revision-history/7405/
Installed V9.2.1.  Things got worse.  The toolbar customization is lost when you exit the bat..  For example: Moved the delete button and had it display the button captions.  Goes away after exit.  

Robert ONeill wrote:
Installed V9.2.1.  Things got worse.  The toolbar customization is lost when you exit the bat..  For example: Moved the delete button and had it display the button captions.  Goes away after exit.  
I think I will stay with 9.1.18 until things get stable in 9.2.  I don't really want to go through all the issues that I had with the last update until 9.1.18.

I'm not impressed with 9.2.1 I have the same problems as others. The RSS feed used to work. For me I cannot even get the RSS feeds to download. The Bat looks like it's trying to download them, then just churns until it quits with nothing downloaded. Click to read a message; it's just as reported. Message clicks open and I see it for a second and it's gone hidden behind main inbox. Nothing I like more than having to use more keystrokes to read mail that used to be front and center ready to be read. I still have toolbar customization issues. I also have a blank space, at times, between upper and lower toolbars. Filters set up to send junk to the SPAM folder have become erratic so that junk isn't going were it should. I'm a long time user but no more money until function that used to work properly works properly.  The last several updates have created more problems than fixing issues and any new functions are not worth anything when they break legacy functions.

That doesn't sound good. If you're seeing serious flaws like these in The Bat and could spare a few moments, then maybe you could join the beta test mailing list, so you can more directly report problems to the new chief developer (who's also the original developer), and have them confirmed by other participants.

For more information about the TB Beta mailing list, see http://www.silverstones.com/thebat/TBUDLInfo.html.
To see the current discussions there, see https://www.mail-archive.com/tbbeta@thebat.dutaint.com/
Pages: 1