Pages: 1
RSS
scroll wheel change

I've been noticing for the past few days that I have to click in the message before I can scroll it using the mouse wheel. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention and figured it was just me, but now I know the reason. The 9.2.1 release notes say "Message List and Folder Tree Tabs can be handled using the mouse wheel (scrolling, pressing and tilting)".

Does anyone like this? I don't. I very frequently use the scroll wheel on the message, occasionally on the message list, and never on the folder tree. I'd be happy if the scroll wheel applied to whichever panel the mouse was hovering over, but forcing me to click in the message is a pain -- a minor pain but an extremely frequent one. There's an extended consequence too -- once I click in the message, then to delete it using the Delete key, I have to click back into the message list. Previously I could scroll around in the message, then delete it, without clicking. So the change has added TWO clicks to my handling of many emails.

Would something like X-Mouse Button Control help? There's an option to "Make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor", which might do what you want whether The Bat! does it or not.

Mind you, I haven't tried it, but I do use X-Mouse normally and find it very useful for a number of other things.

Puzzling. I'm not experiencing any of those issues with scroll wheel and I always use most current version.

I'll add that previously, I could use the mouse in the scroll bar without moving focus away from the message list. Now I can't. So this also adds to mouse movement and clicks needed.

No solution yet available?

I moved from TB version 7 to version9 and also miss this feature - it's annoying to click into the  message before I can use the scroll wheel.

Uwe Stoecks wrote:
No solution yet available?

Has anyone reported it to Ritlabs support? That's where to start.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Yes, I've reported the issue to Ritlabs. They confirmed it as a bug due to the Chromium-HTML-Viewer (?).

They made an entry in their bugtracker.

Hopefully it will be fixed in near future.

I was using a 9.1.18 version, and just update to 9.3.4 yesterday.

And YES, i think this is an annoying issue.
Hope they will find a turn arround soon !

Do you think we should report this problem too, to be more convincing?
Edited: Norbert LEFEVRE - 01 May 2021 16:13:37

david kirk wrote:
Puzzling. I'm not experiencing any of those issues with scroll wheel and I always use most current version.
I don't have too. It look likes that bug have it not all of the users.

Norbert LEFEVRE wrote:
Do you think we should report this problem too, to be more convincing?
You can't find here on forum any support man or real support. Go here - https://www.ritlabs.com/en/support/
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

Too bad: no change in this behavior in V 9.4.1

For the record, this is fixed in 9.4.4.  

Ron Horn wrote:
For the record, this is fixed in 9.4.4.  
Unfortunately not (in my case)
Edited: Uwe Stoecks - 01 October 2021 19:20:30

I updated from V 7 to V 9 in July and noticed it right away.  It only fails if you view emails with html. Text emails will scroll properly. I submitted a ticket and they said it was a known problem and it would be fixed at some point. I wasn't paying attention one day and clicked into the body of an email in order to scroll and it was on a link to a virus-infected site. Fortunately my firewall stopped it from causing damage. I contacted support again and explained this serious problem but they don't consider it a big issue and said to it will be "gotten to at some point." They also said I could revert to an earlier version that doesn't have the problem.

I've learned from past upgrades that Ritlabs has one of the worst upgrade policies around. You can upgrade to new versions of the same series but once they release a new one there is another charge, even if it only a matter of months. So I expect that is what they will do here. When V 10 is released, this problem will be fixed but it will require paying for the update.

That's unfair and untrue. Upgrades are generally every two years, not a few months. And fixes and features have routinely been done throughout an upgrade period. Version 9 has been particularly in flux because so much new was introduced (and still being fixed). My hope is that version 10 is stable, something I cannot honestly say for version 9.

david

david kirk wrote:
That's unfair and untrue.
You may be assuming someone purchases the upgrade when it first comes out. When I upgraded to V 7, it had been out for a while. A month or two after I upgraded the next series was released. If I wanted to upgrade I would have had to pay again. Any program I have would allow at least a six-month window on the upgrade but Ritlabs wouldn't even consider it when I contacted them about it. I skipped that version since it didn't offer anything useful to me. Now I find this version has, what is to me, a major failing. I hope they prove me wrong and will fix this before V 10.

thebatpt wrote:
When I upgraded to V 7, it had been out for a while. A month or two after I upgraded the next series was released. If I wanted to upgrade I would have had to pay again.

If you upgraded to v7 on or after August 22, 2017, a free license was included for v8, which was released almost three months later on November 13 of that year.

If you upgraded shortly before that, you may not have had as much use of your upgrade as you'd hoped for, but over the course of many years of using The Bat, I don't think it's significant. I greatly prefer Ritlabs' method to the subscription model that many other software publishers use these days.

Anyway, we've had this discussion about upgrade policies many times before, so I suggest we leave it at this and return to the topic at hand, that of the changed scroll wheel functionality (but feel free to add one more response on upgrades if so inclined).
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

I don't remember the exact timing, though I do know it was in the same year. Purchasing a product and not having it last a year before having to purchase it again is, to me, a poor policy. As it relates to this topic, I purchased V9 in July. If they don't fix this problem until V10 and V10 is not released until November, for example, it means I have to pay to fix something they broke. Granted, we don't know if they will fix the problem before the new version or even when the new version will be out but it will be an interesting test of their policy. I agree that this is veering off-topic so I'll let it go as you suggest.

Too bad #2: no change in this behavior in V 9.4.5

Purchases since June 1 apply to upgrade to v10. See https://www.ritlabs.com/en/news/7621/  This upgrade approach has been with TB! for years, usually every two years with free upgrades during last half of year.
Pages: 1