Pages: 1 2 Next
RSS
[ Closed ] The Bat! 10.5 is out

Dear all,

TB! 10.5 has just been published: https://www.ritlabs.com/en/news/8002/

There seems to be a lot of new stuff, including Outlook calendar integration and fixes to authentication problems: https://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/revision-history/7987/

Hello Miloš Radovanović. Is version 10.5 64-bit compatible with Win 7? Thank you

Vittorino Moro wrote:
Is version 10.5 64-bit compatible with Win 7? Thank you

Yes. See the 'Windows versions' section on the download page.

Edited to add: Someone below reports that the 64b version does NOT work on Win 7.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Is the Calendar eventually working or not?....perhaps I am missing something, but again, if I set the use of Calendar in the account properties, The Bat! hangs...when the calendar opens, no more response neither from the Calendar, nor from The Bat...the only way to continue working is just to call the Task Manager and close the application.

Besides, I hope that this version works better that the previous one, which used to stop working after being open for some hours...we'll see

Agustin

I noticed some problems in Windows 7 64 bit. During start, message "Unsupported Windows version":

[Unsupported image data removed - Daniel]

appears and I'm not able to see HTML messages and I'm not able to close the program.

If you find any bugs or other problems, please report them to the developers (using Support in the menu above).

Ritlabs staff does not follow this user-to-user forum.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Grzegorz Zochowski wrote:
I noticed some problems in Windows 7 64 bit. During start, message "Unsupported Windows version":

appears and I'm not able to see HTML messages and I'm not able to close the program.

Same here :/
Should I wait for the fix or reverse to the previous version?

Ryszard Parzynski wrote:
Same here :/Should I wait for the fix or reverse to the previous version?

It sounds like a problem with CEF not supporting Win7, TB itself is probably fine with it. Unfortunately, there is no known way to (safely) disable CEF. I tried it and posted about that before.

It is probably best to roll back to a previous version until a fix is published (if ever - this may be out of control of TB devs). Or, of course, upgrade to a newer version of Windows.

Ryszard Parzynski wrote:
Grzegorz Zochowski wrote:

Same here :/
Should I wait for the fix or reverse to the previous version?
I use win10 and get a startup error - unsupported CEF version..
I too am not able to see HTML messages and need to use Task Manager to close the program.

A support ticket has been input.

Running Windows 10.  10.5 won't even start up for me.  Shows the main window and message lists but never gets past the splash screen while the CPU sits and churns.  I've let it run for almost an hour before killing it.  Ugh.

Doug Porter wrote:
Shows the main window and message lists but never gets past the splash screen [..]

Have you tried the -nologo command line option to disable the splash screen?

To change the tone a bit: yesterday I installed v10.5, no problems whatsoever so far. It solved some issues I had with previous versions.

64-bit no-auto-update TB on 64-bit Windows 10 Professional with all the latest updates.

Miloš Radovanović wrote:
Ryszard Parzynski wrote:
It sounds like a problem with CEF not supporting Win7, TB itself is probably fine with it. Unfortunately, there is no known way to (safely) disable CEF. I tried it and posted about that before.

It is probably best to roll back to a previous version until a fix is published (if ever - this may be out of control of TB devs). Or, of course, upgrade to a newer version of Windows.

Unfortunatelly, rollbacvk to 10.4.0.1, which previously worked on my Win7 doesnt help me. Now I am stucked :(  I wish 10.5 installer check for CEF compatibility, currently I am quite upset I cannot access mails.

Pavel Novak wrote:
Unfortunatelly, rollbacvk to 10.4.0.1, which previously worked on my Win7 doesnt help me. Now I am stucked   I wish 10.5 installer check for CEF compatibility, currently I am quite upset I cannot access mails.
Installing an old version over a newer one usually does not work.

Back up your message base (the folder with the accounts), uninstall TB completely and re-install. If needed, recreate all accounts and point TB to their appropriate folders.

Miloš Radovanović wrote:
Ryszard Parzynski wrote:

From Support:

"The newest version of CEF which appeared in The Bat! v10.5 is not supported in Windows 7, 8 and 8.1.

The developers will look for a solution, and meanwhile you can temporarily downgrade to The Bat! v10.4.0.1:"

I was running Win 10. Support said to uninstall and re-install 10.5. The problems I was having have all disappeared. 10.5 is working here now.

Some info from vendor: "We have resolved several issues related to OAuth and added the old alternative internal HTML viewer for the users of older versions of Windows, in which CEF v117 doesn't run."

Please wait official new release.
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

George Salnik wrote:
Some info from vendor: "We have resolved several issues related to OAuth and added the old alternative internal HTML viewer for the users of older versions of Windows, in which CEF v117 doesn't run."

Please wait official new release.
Thank You a bunch for the info! I have had the same trouble on W7x64, so for a while I rolled back to 10.4.1 (just uninstalled 10.5 and then installed 10.4.1, there wasnt any troubles with accounts as well as another issues). It looks like MAJOR TheBat! releases are not worth to install 8-)
So looking forward for 10.5.1, hope "the old alternative internal HTML viewer for the users of older versions of Windows" would be turned on by default  ;)  

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
Doug Porter wrote:
Shows the main window and message lists but never gets past the splash screen [..]

Have you tried the -nologo command line option to disable the splash screen?
I have today started getting what I believe is the same behaviour, and -nologo does not seem to help. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but so far without success. (I had updated some other software and rebooted my PC today, so it is possible that that is related)

An important update: The Bat! v10.5.1
17 October 2023
Today we have released a new version of our email client The Bat!, which features an internal HTML Viewer.

Starting from version 9.2.1, The Bat! uses the HTML viewing module based on Chromium – a powerful, reliable, and standardized browser engine compatible with modern web standards. One of its major advantages is security: as CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework) is constantly updated, it ensures the safety of web content by reducing the risk of vulnerabilities and attacks. The transition to the new version of CEF in The Bat! v10.5 was necessary due to the vulnerabilities identified in previous versions of this component. However, that update was causing crashes and the inability to view HTML emails for users of older Windows versions.

We have found a solution for users of Windows 7, 8, and 8.1, which are incompatible with the new CEF versions: The Bat! v10.5.1 now includes an internal HTML Viewer. This alternative viewer module ensures reliable display of HTML email content while also avoids potential vulnerabilities associated with outdated CEF versions.

Users of Windows 10 and Windows 11 also have the option to switch to the internal HTML Viewer by using the command-line parameter /ForceNoCEF in the program’s shortcut. However, for users of these Windows versions, we recommend to use CEF. We will continue to update the CEF component to ensure stable and secure HTML email display in the future.

In The Bat! v10.5.1, we have also addressed several issues related to mass mailing. Specifically, we have resolved a problem in the new address book that was causing the program to crash when selecting quick templates for mass mailing. Additionally, we have altered the behavior when choosing an action: now, emails can not only be opened in the editor but also saved as drafts or placed in the Outbox folder for delayed sending. Furthermore, we have fixed an issue that was leading to incorrect rendering of HTML-format emails created using mass mailing templates in the old address book interface.

The new version is available for download on our official website and through automatic updates for existing users.
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

This release is a total disaster. Constant freezes, e-mails not displayed, hang-ups, and worst of all: downgrading doesn't solve the issue.

What a total disaster this software has become.

- Starting with /NoDirectX doesn't help
- Running CEF in one thread doesn't help
- Downgrading doesn't help
Edited: Loek van Kooten - 25 October 2023 11:38:46

OTOH, for many users including myself v10.5 and v10.5.1 are working flawlessly. Let's hope someone has the patience to help the developers reproduce the problems.

In the meantime, a couple more things to try:
1. /ForceNoCEF command-line option in v10.5.1 which disables CEF completely and switches to the old HTML viewer (I tried it - it's not as bad as I remember, there seem to have been some improvements made).
2. Do a complete uninstall then reinstall of a previous version (v10.3.3.3 was very reliable for me). Installing an older version over a newer one often does not work properly. If problems persist, try running TB with the /reg:someprofilename command-line option which will use a clean slate of registry values (but you will need to configure many things again).
Edited: Miloš Radovanović - 25 October 2023 17:15:36

I can confirm that completely uninstalling and then reinstalling an older version helps. 10.4.0.1 is stable for me: you can find it here https://www.batboard.net/thread/15466-the-bat-10-4-0-1/ It baffles me why the devs don't link to older versions themselves and that we need to visit a German forum run by volunteers for that.

Support does not respond. We're on our own here.

/ForceNoCEF didn't do anything here.

10.5.1 is soooo bad, that Im looking for another mail program. I have had it!

Constant freeze when replying mails - the list is long with bugs.

Support replied and suggested to uninstall everything and go back to  10.4.0.1

It seems 10.5 is one big giant clusterf*

TB 1.5.2 Halloween Edition has been published: https://www.ritlabs.com/en/news/8043/

List of bug-fixes:

- (#01233) Some PGP-encrypted text from *nix systems could not be recognized as text after decryption
- Partially loaded (from IMAP) PGP-encrypted messages could not be decrypted
- The problem with updating ACCOUNT.ATB from parallel processes was fixed
- Some potential sources of "random" AV errors were removed

I installed it today (Win10, 64-bit, no auto-update) and it works fine for me (as did all v1.5.x so far).
Edited: Miloš Radovanović - 01 November 2023 11:06:19
Pages: 1 2 Next