Pages: 1 2 Next
RSS
Whats the difference in The Bat! 5.0 ?

Hello

Can anyone from the Ritlabs team inform us about the main difference in TB v5 vs v4 ?

Is v5 a complete re-write ? Whats the main point kept in mind while programming v5 ? Is performance priority ?

Ritlabs silence should be interpreted as " There is NO v.5 coming " !  ;)  :D
I am also too curious to get answer for your question....however recently I found Ritlabs too quiet!  8)  :!:
Edited: Alireza Nasibi - 05 September 2010 08:47:03

v5 is in closed alpha testing, there is a massive rewrite because new IMAP, more Unicode parts, new API for plugins, new macros, new Hints system based on templates, new URL download manager, Gmail contacts import/export, AES instruction set implemented, QR code generator and many of bugs already fixed.

Wow  :D  :{}
Good news from Mikus! I m checking ritlabs website almost everyday for v.5 release....can't wait....
Thanks Ritlabs staff...as usual you do a great job...
Besides, I hope the interface will be new,too.  :D
Edited: Alireza Nasibi - 05 September 2010 13:42:14

I am not Ritlabs employee, so these are not official informations...
As about release date, we are still in alpha stage, so I personally expect, it will not be released in less than 2 months.
As about new interface, do not expect too much now, this release has major core changes, interface is not current goal for this release.

Alireza Nasibi wrote:

Besides, I hope the interface will be new,too.  
What's wrong with the current interface?

There is nothing wrong with current interface. We are used to find major interface changes when a major version is released...like that of MS office 2003 and 2007. These days "appealing interface" is an important factor. I know I know Ritlabs is really superior in terms of functions and power....I do believe it...but expecting a new interface is not a big expectation... :)

Alireza Nasibi wrote:
There is nothing wrong with current interface. We are used to find major interface changes when a major version is released...like that of MS office 2003 and 2007. These days "appealing interface" is an important factor. I know I know Ritlabs is really superior in terms of functions and power....I do believe it...but expecting a new interface is not a big expectation...  

I think the current interface is functional but looking a little tired and dated.  In terms of functionality I would also like to get a proper drag and drop interface for folder management, rather than the need to use awkward key combinations as at present.

Most of all however I want v5 to fix the "disappearing folders" problem so that I no longer need to regularly invoke the "magic" key combination (CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+L) to recover folders that go missing for no apparent reason.

Any updates on v5 ?

Ajn Biz wrote:
Any updates on v5 ?

It is still in Beta. There are less and less major issues popping up but it is still not ready for prime time.

I only hope that in version 5 they will fix the "auto refresh" function once and for all, I'm tired of pressing CTRL + R each time I want to refresh the content of a Virtual Folder... (Does anybody has this issue by the way ?)

Good luck ritlabs team !!

I am concerned since we have not received any update for v4 since May 2010.

Is Ritlabs just focusing on v5 for now ?

Yes. Ritlabs is focusing on v5 and generally they don't issue any updates for previous versions, so I don't expect them to do so now.

So the new release would be a major update from 4 to 5.

Do the owners of v4 have to purchase an upgrade license ?
Edited: Ajn Biz - 21 December 2010 04:43:59

yes, 5.0 is a major upgrade, it will have completely new IMAP4, new plugin API, new Image download manager, New Redirect feature, new macros, new tooltip system based on HTML templates, new Smartpad with spellchecking and Unicode support, AES implemented, faster starting in multicore environment, import/export Gmail contacts, updated Addresbook groups tree, QR code generator and many smaller improvements...

What we know, users with regcode for 4.x will have free update to 5.0.0-5.0.99, upgrade fee will be charged since 5.1.

Marek Mikus wrote:
yes, 5.0 is a major upgrade, it will have completely new IMAP4, new plugin API, new Image download manager, New Redirect feature, new macros, new tooltip system based on HTML templates, new Smartpad with spellchecking and Unicode support, AES implemented, faster starting in multicore environment, import/export Gmail contacts, updated Addresbook groups tree, QR code generator and many smaller improvements...

What we know, users with regcode for 4.x will have free update to 5.0.0-5.0.99, upgrade fee will be charged since 5.1.

Excellent list of new features. I hope the speed would be lighting. Would it integrate support for importing Microsoft Outlook data  or any Calendar feature ?

Thats a relief for 4.x users, since I purchased a 4 license.

So when the time comes, how much do you generally charge for an upgrade license ?
Edited: Ajn Biz - 23 December 2010 21:42:01

Hi,

Can I request to make HTML composing more easier like MS Outlook or Thunderbird ?

Else I need to setup everything in Bat..., Yes, it is all feature, but if a pre-configure template than it is best for newbie.

I found a message saying that advance keys for v5 - which is still in beta - would be made available for sale from Dec 23 for people with4+.

I can't find any reference to this on the website - can anyone help?

Regards

Will

check http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/news_detail.php?ID=3257

Marek Mikus wrote:
check http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/th...hp?ID=3257

Thanks for that Marek. That was the message that I saw. However, There appear to be no way from that page to purchase a key for the v5. Clicking on Buy Online simply leads to purchase links for v4.

Do you know a url that leads to a purchase option ofr v5?

Cheers

Will

Will Chapman wrote:
Do you know a url that leads to a purchase option ofr v5?

you was already told that you will be able to use 5.* version with your current 4.* registration code for free up to version 5.0.99. when 5.1 comes up, there will be upgrade/full purchase available.

Anton Belenki wrote:
you was already told that you will be able to use 5.* version with your current 4.* registration code for free up to version 5.0.99. when 5.1 comes up, there will be upgrade/full purchase available.

That is correct Anton, However, the message also said,,,,,

The Bat! 5.0 – upgrade policy
12/23/2010
We inform our users that fr om December, 23, 2010 we start pre-selling license keys for version 5.x.x. Users that purchase licenses after December, 23, will receive keys that work with versions 4.x.x, 5.x.x and 6.0.

From the same date, the upgrade from any previous version to 5.x.x is available with a 30% discount. Users that pre-order the keys can work with 5.x.x beta versions before the official release.

,,,,and my question is "Wh ere do I go to pre-purchase a license key for 5.x.x or take advantage of that 30% discount on an upgrade?".

Anton Belenki wrote:

We inform our users that fr om December, 23, 2010 we start pre-selling license keys for version 5.x.x. Users that purchase licenses after December, 23, will receive keys that work with versions 4.x.x, 5.x.x and 6.0.

From the same date, the upgrade from any previous version to 5.x.x is available with a 30% discount. Users that pre-order the keys can work with 5.x.x beta versions before the official release.
[/QUOTE]

......and my question is "Wh ere do I go to pre-purchase a license key for 5.x.x or take advantage of that 30% discount on an upgrade?".[/QUOTE]
Edited: Will Chapman - 16 January 2011 10:43:37 (layout error)

Abject apologies for all of the repeats! I was trying to edit out the typos and layout mistakes  :cry:  :!:

Hi All, If it helps I asked those same questions. The replies are below. I did upgrade and transaction went through for v4.2.42, but it will work on v5.x when it is available for download. Strange that my card was charged but have not received an email notification or a key as yet. RitLabs also said it will be released in a few weeks, so I am counting the days when I can try these new features. Hope it's worth the upgrade. :D

would like to know the price to upgrade to 5 and what is the procedure?  

There is a 30% discount for upgrading to v5.xx. The procedure is simple. First you upgrade  your key and receive it via e-mail. After that you download the latest version from our web-site and install it over the existing version. Before doing this create a backup under the "Tools" menu.

Will this 4.2.36.4 update run on my present key?  

No, the last version to accept your key is v4.0.38.

However, that latest version currently is v4.2.42.

Would you suggest I update or wait for 5?

You can upgrade your key already now and it will be valid starting with version 4.2.38.

When will it be released?

In several weeks, we are dong the final preparations. :D

How long will my upgrade last for updates to new versions if I buy a key to version 5?  

From v4.2.38, through the 5.xx series up to v 6.0.99.
Pages: 1 2 Next