Pages: 1 2 3 Next
RSS
The Bat! v8.3 64-bit repeatedly crashes., How to revert to The Bat! v8.2.4 64-bit

Hello,

I'm using Win10 64 with the latest updates and running 3 simultaneous instances of TheBat!  I've been using TheBat! v8.2.4 64-bit ever since it was released with no problems.  However, ever since I installed v8.3 64-bit (yesterday) one of my instances crashes about every 5 minutes.  I tried to reinstall v8.2.4 but that doesn't help.  The crashes continue and the "About" window still indicates v8.3.  Is there any way to actually revert to v8.2.4 without manually cleaning out the files and registry?

Thanks,
Ray

I experienced exactly the same problem.

W Brad

That's always a messy problem. My suggestion would be to save the registry key that retains your settings, reinstall 8.2.4 and then restore the prior registry key. If you are hesitant to work with the registry, I have a little utility at http://davidkirk.org/thebat/ that I use for that purpose and it includes some basic tips. If you have a backup anywhere, there are just a few files that are different and could be copied in. Good luck.
david

I finally resorted to uninstalling via "Programs and Features" then going into the registry and completely eliminating all traces of TheBat!.  I then rebooted and reinstalled v8.2.4 64-bit but guess what!, the problem still remains.  I did use the same email files and directories, however, since there is too much there that I can't afford to just discard.  At this point I am out of ideas short of starting from scratch and losing all my records.  I'd go back to v6.8.8 if it weren't for its incompatibility with emails created by v8.  v6 didn't seem to have the "always on top" issue that I've encountered since v7 either.  I will be developing a C# application in the near future that monitors my three TheBat! instances and restarts them automatically as they periodically crash.  I'll post it to this forum when I'm done in case anyone else might want to use it.

Ray, have you run the Integrity Check in Folder | Maintenance Center -- just in case something is wrong in your message base?

As for automatically re-launching crashed applications, the Task Catcher utility by BillP Studios (of WinPatrol fame) may save you the trouble of having to write your own. Bill has made it freeware when he retired from the software business. See http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/task_catcher.html
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Have you tried 8.2.8?  I'm running it and have had no problems. Then again, I didn't have problems with 8.2.4. I also see a 8.3 has been released a couple days ago.

Daniel van Rooijen:  I ran the integrity check and found no issues.  I also tried the Task Catcher utility you mentioned but unless I'm missing something it can't handle restarting multiple instances of the same program, and I always run three instances of TheBat!, each with different command line options.  Luckily, most of the time Windows catches the crashes and does a successful restart, but not always.  My main concern is that I might be in the middle of composing an email when it crashes and I lose what I've written.  I guess the workaround is to always compose email in something like Notepad++ then copy it over to TheBat! just prior to sending it - definitely a major nuisance.  Thanks, Ray

Ray Mitchell wrote:
[..] I also tried the Task Catcher utility you mentioned but unless I'm missing something it can't handle restarting multiple instances of the same program

Oops, I should have thought of that. Hopefully you will find a better solution (or, would it work if you create a few differently named copies of the TheBat executable and run one of each?). As to the editor, in the Editor Preferences you can set Auto-save to 60 seconds or so, to limit the loss if/when the program crashes.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
 Ray Mitchell  wrote:
[..] I also tried the Task Catcher utility you mentioned but unless I'm missing something it can't handle restarting multiple instances of the same program
Oops, I should have thought of that. Hopefully you will find a better solution (or, would it work if you create a few differently named copies of the TheBat executable and run one of each?). As to the editor, in the Editor Preferences you can set Auto-save to 60 seconds or so, to limit the loss if/when the program crashes.
Daniel,
I guess great minds think alike :-)  After posting regarding multiple instances I thought of possibly renaming several copies of TheBat! executable and that worked perfectly since Task Catcher allows a different set of options for each differently named executable.  Now I can randomly shut down any/all of my instances and Task Catcher starts them right back up.  Thanks for the help.  Hopefully RitLabs will resolve this issue in a future version since otherwise it's a great product with just a few relatively minor annoyances.
Ray

I also have the same problem
I installed today 8.3 (64 bits) and then The Bat crashes continuously
Impossible to use it....    :o  

Seems to be a major problem with 64-bit version 8.3. I have a number of accounts. One of them is a Gmail account and, at some point, it will come up with a login error for that account, but there is no login error. It will post a million (okay, I'm exaggerating - a lot) of these error messages. Too many to delete. I have to go into Windows task manager and close the program.
Other times, it just crashes (goes away) or I get Windows "Program has stopped working" box.
Other times, I will get an Exception error "EAccessViolation in module ntdll.dll at 00000000000. Access violation at address 00000007761F23C in module ntdll.dll Read of address 000007B6717D23A8

Have had a ticket in on this for 4 days. No response.
Edited: Gonzo Far - 28 March 2018 17:01:01 (Now 4 days without a response 3/28/18)

Two observations: A common thread with these crashes seems to be that people are using gmail accounts. And secondly, going back to a previous stable version of The Bat doesn't solve the crashes.

So, this suggests that in the current version, something goes wrong with gmail interaction that creates an instability in The Bat - one that remains in the system despite uninstalling the Bat and reinstalling an old version. My suspicion is that it's related to the OAUTH authentication mechanism that separates Gmail fr om most other email providers, and that uses browser functionality to obtain a log-in token.

What I would try: In the properties of your Gmail accounts, go to Options and disable 'Check mailbox at start-up' and 'Periodical checking', to keep The Bat from contacting Gmail. Then exit and restart The Bat. Now it should only be interacting with your other (non-gmail) accounts. Do the crashes still occur? If not, hopefully that brings us closer to finding a solution and in the meantime you can still use The Bat for your other accounts, and maybe use the web interface for Gmail.

For the hackers and tinkerers among us.. I don't know wh ere an OAUTH token is stored or how it can be refreshed, but I assume that if you go online and change your Google account password, the token in The Bat will no longer be valid. So, maybe that's a way to force The Bat to obtain a new token, and see if that helps to solve the problem? My thinking here is that maybe Ritlabs changed something about OAUTH authentication that works fine for newly created accounts, but may cause a problem with existing accounts.

Excellent observation, Daniel. I agree, something was changed in 8.3, as I had never had a problem with Gmail until 8.3. I somehow bullied myself through the problem by many restarts and a couple of reboots, but it wasn't pretty. All is okay now, but I'm hoping next release isn't as traumatic. I also hope someone from tech support is following this thread.
david

Yes, the problem is definitely with Gmail accounts ... The connection to the Gmail server does not close.
The curious thing is that I have two Gmail accounts, but the problem is only with one of them and it is consistent. However, so far I cannot discern a difference in the settings of the two accounts.

The problem will only occur, according to my testing, when the inbox on the Gmail server is empty. If you set to leave messages on the server, the connection will close properly and no screens pop up asking for permissions or login.
Edited: Gonzo Far - 28 March 2018 17:13:56

Okay - finally got a reply from support on this:
Please try to sign into your Google account and in the "Privacy\Sign-in  & security\Apps with account access" section remove "The Bat! v7"  from the list of applications. Then try to receive mail in The Bat! and  allow the access.

I don't think it is only GMAIL account problems!

My 64-8-3 version worked fine for about a week, then, the program stopped displaying the UI. It loads long enough to accept my password, flashes the ID mini screen, then dissappears. Only way to close it is from Task Manager.

I tried "repair" function but it doesn't work.

I can revert to the old version but how do I know which files are the mail account settings so I won't have to set them all by hand again?

This is all without using any GMAIL (I wouldn't want to use The Bat if I was happy with alphabet and its "free" spyware mail)

North American Stifled User wrote:
how do I know which files are the mail account settings so I won't have to set them all by hand again?
Go to Options | Preferences | System and look for Mail Directory.

North American Stifled User wrote:
I don't think it is only GMAIL account problems!

My 64-8-3 version worked fine for about a week, then, the program stopped displaying the UI. It loads long enough to accept my password, flashes the ID mini screen, then dissappears. Only way to close it is from Task Manager.

I tried "repair" function but it doesn't work.

I can revert to the old version but   how do I know which files are the mail account settings so I won't have to set them all by hand again?  

This is all without using any GMAIL (I wouldn't want to use The Bat if I was happy with alphabet and its "free" spyware mail)
I believe this is a known bug that goes several versions back.  Did you try using the /NOLOGO command line option when starting TheBat?

We are not using Gmail and still have crashes all day long.  This has been going on since at least November 2017 and updates do not help.

I have many licences of The Bat as a corporate user and it does seem to be more of a problem on some computers than others.  I have tried re-installing windows, The Bat, backups, everything I can think of.

If we were not so heavily invested in using The Bat we would have moved on a long time ago.

Frustration is high..

My first guess is that your company may be using a specific software product that doesn't mesh well with TB!. The programs running at the time of a crash may be useful for tech support to know, as that may help them advise you. Good luck.
david

Same here 8.3 crashes - seems it has a problem with gmail. I  reverted to 8.2.8  (64 bit) and all is fine again .

Ray Mitchell wrote:
I'm using Win10 64 with the latest updates and running 3 simultaneous instances of TheBat!
I am just curious. Why are you running 3 instances of TB! ?
(I am using TB from '99 or so, and still using Voyager 4.xx on my laptop, so I lost a couple years of later development...)

Thanks!

I installed 8.3 64bit yesterday to try it out. After closing and restarting it crashed and could not be started again. Also I could not install again, I was told
"The Bat! ...... setup was interrrupted. Your system has not been modified. To install ..... at a later time ... run installation again. ...."
Today  I uninstalled, removed the new registry entries and re-installed. Again it only worked once and then I could not start again. In my case it nothing to do with checking mails" I'm happy I did not buy the upgrade. I saw no other way than switching back to my very old version which works stable since many years.  :(  

The problem continues..  On 6 computers at my company.  Frustrated users complaining to me almost daily...
Pages: 1 2 3 Next