Pages: 1
RSS
Upgrading from Version 2.12 to Newer Releases, Upgrading from Version 2.12 to Newer Releases

I am still using version 2.12, after many years.  I am now considering upgrading to a more recent version.  

I assume that migrating directly to version 9 is too much to do in one step, due to the number of structural changes in The Bat's files.  Does anyone have suggestions about a migration path?

Are any of the archived versions listed at https://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/archive-versions.php known as being particularly stable or unstable?

Thanks for any advice.

Ron

I jumped from v3 to v7 some years ago and that worked flawlessly! (see here).

The new version will convert your messagebase to a newer format and there's no going back from that. So, if you don't want to take any risks, be sure to have backups of your program folder and mail folder and preferably of your registry settings. For the latter, user David Kirk who's also on this forum created a handy tool which you can download here: https://davidkirk.org/thebat/

Personally, I'm still using the last v8 release because it's stable and I didn't need any features that were introduced later (but there may be some email providers who require stronger encryption methods only found in v9.x). In hindsight, this has also saved me from some bugs and other issues that occurred when Ritlabs began its major overhaul of the editor, the html-component and the toolbars in v9. I think I'll upgrade to v9 when complaints about that have settled (which I guess they already have for the most part).
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

I am not aware of a need for conversion with any upgrade of TB!. I started with ver 7 and it's been transparent each time. My suggestion is to backup your folders and try the current version. Prior to doing that, I suggest backing up the registry value, should you desire to reinstall your current version. You can either use regedit or a utility I developed to do that, available at https://davidkirk.org/thebat/  -  if you prefer regedit, the key to export is
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RIT      Good luck.

david

Hi, Daniel,
Funny. We were obviously typing at the same time.  (And I still think ver 9 is too buggy. Each release seems like a beta.)

david
Edited: david kirk - 15 November 2021 20:02:23

david kirk wrote:
Hi, Daniel,
Funny. We were obviously typing at the same time.  (And I still think ver 9 is too buggy. Each release seems like a beta.)

david
I agree 9 is the buggiest, I wish I could go back to 8 but my email provider doesn't support the old cyphers anymore

Ivan wrote:
I agree 9 is the buggiest, I wish I could go back to 8 but my email provider doesn't support the old cyphers anymore
On that, I plan to upgrade to 10 as soon as it's available. TB! is going through major changes internally with version 9 and it sometimes stumbles, but I believe this will eventually be fixed and staying invested is important.

Thanks very much, Daniel and David.  Your suggestions are helpful.  What about licensing?  If I do it in several steps, such as from V2 to V3 to V7 to V8, will I need to get new registration keys for V3, V7, and V8?

Ron

I doubt if there's anything to gain by taking it in steps like that. You can currently order a v9 upgrade that also includes a future upgrade to v10 - but maybe Ritlabs could also sell you an upgrade that includes v8, so you could start with that? Please talk to them to see what your available options are.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

I took your advice, Daniel, and upgraded in few steps.  I went to V4.2.44, then V6.8.8 and V8.8.9.  I wanted to install a V4 release as it changes the format of the index files.  I did have a complication in that I have a few message folders on a different drive which was offline.  When I made the drive available and restarted V4, it converted all but one of the indexes.  I had a bit of trouble with that folder, for some reason.  TB would create a new-format TBN index and also leave the old TBI index in the folder and it wouldn't open the message base at all.  I kept restoring the message and index files in that folder to my originals and restarting TB.  Sometimes it would leave no index file at all with the message file.  Other times it would correctly have the TBN index but still wouldn't show any messages (with just a blank for the number of unread messages in the folder tree).  I finally thought I had it straightened out and then noticed that all of my old Memo comments were gone.  TB had created a TBN index file fr om the messages without using the old index file (wh ere the Memo data was).  So I restored that folder again and eventually was able to get a correct TBN with my Memo entries preserved.

Other than that minor complication, everything went amazingly smoothly.  The installations were fast and reliable, and I think all my data, including "sorting office" filters, are intact and working properly.  After 18 years with the same program, it's a pleasure to view and use the new interface.  I'm sure there are useful features that I'm not aware of yet.  My only disappointment is trivial:  I was hoping by now that it would be possible to dock the Memo viewer/editor (or have it included in one of the standard window layouts).

I purchased an upgrade and received an e-mail that said "This key is valid from version 8 to 9."  I wasn't sure if that meant a key for upgrading from V8 to V9 (i.e., for V9 only) or if the key was good for both V8 and V9.  In fact it does work with V8, so I don't need to ask Ritlabs to make a V8 key specially for me.  The upgrading web pages and e-mails I saw didn't say anything about getting a free upgrade to V10, but I found a page at https://www.ritlabs.com/en/news/7621/ that says those who purchased a license on or after June 1, 2021, will get a free upgrade.  I hope it includes those of us who paid for an upgrade and not only those who bought a new license.

I still have a problem sending mail related to SSL/TSL, but it also existed in V2.12 for me and isn't a result of the upgrade.  I'll pursue it in a separate topic.

Thank again for your help.

Ron    

>> and V8.8.9
And do try a 9.3.4 version. 9.4 isn't works better because of new html-core (I do use it, but for old users recommend v9-3-4).
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

TB had created a TBN index file fr om the messages without using the old index file (wh ere the Memo data was).  So I restored that folder again and eventually was able to get a correct TBN with my Memo entries preserved.

What the folder do you restore? Can I ask you to tell us by another words how do you find files and what the file/files contains memo fields for restore?
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

George Salnik wrote:

What the folder do you restore? Can I ask you to tell us by another words how do you find files and what the file/files contains memo fields for restore?
The folder with the trouble with just one of many mail folders that I have.  The memo fields are contained in the index files, both the old-format TBI and the new-format TBN.  Thus a successful conversion of the index was needed to preserve my memo data.  I don't know why there were difficulties with one folder.  It was precipitated by my not having several message folders online when I first ran V4, but the other folders were converted successfully when they were brought online and V4 was started again.  For the difficult folder, I just kept replacing the TBB and TBI folders with my backup versions and restarting TB until it was successfully converted.  

Good to hear of your progress, Ronz!  

I wonder if you ever used the 'Check integrity/repair' function of Folder | Maintenance Center before the conversions? Maybe that would have prevented the hiccups with the memos.

Did you use the Ctrl-Alt-Shift-L trick to revive those old offline folders?

I didn't do either of those, which might have helped.  I would have used Check Integrity/Repair eventually if I couldn't get TB to build a functional index for the folder.  And then, if necessary, I would have restored everything and started over.

I'd forgotten all about Ctrl-Alt-Shift-L as a way to hunt for lost folders.  I haven't heard it mentioned for a long time.

Ron
Pages: 1