Pages: 1 2 3 Next
RSS
I got an email from Gmail, does it affect The Bat?

Hi, today I got this email fr om gmail:

On May 30, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure sign-in technology

To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to sign in using Sign in with Google or other more secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0.

What do you need to do?

Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier, has less secure access to your Gmail. Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer, or any other email software wh ere you can sign in using Sign in with Google.

Sooo my question is, are we gonna have trouble with the Bat!?

Thanks!

Edited: RangoX - 03 March 2022 15:41:52

>> which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password.
TheBat few months already can be "activated" through special code from Google for using their services.
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

Do you mean an app password, George? As explained here: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en

That might be the best solution for old versions of The Bat. Has anyone here tried this yet?

I don't know which minimum version of The Bat is required to use Gmail with regular OAUTH 2.0 authentication these days, but current versions shouldn't have any problems. Support for OAUTH 2.0 was introduced in The Bat! v7.1.8 (Jan 2016), but there have been some Gmail-issues with certificates and TLS that were resolved later.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Old versions don't have such a feature.
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

>> Do you mean an app password, George?
Nope.
This -
https://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/revision-history/7633/
"The "Authorization code" input for OAUTH login using system web browser"

Disclaimer: The below is my attempt to understand and solve the OP issue with The Bat! and Gmail. I am trying to collect pertinent information. Presently I do not know how to fix the issue!

I hope someone will be kind enough to post a detailed step by step for migration process to OAUTH2 password usage on googlemail.com. I imagine almost everyone using The Bat! will also be using at least one googlemail.com account?!

What I hope to have figured out so far (this is NOT a step by step and its untested so far):
  • Log into your gmail.com account (via web browser), and check under Security and Less secure app access. This will probably be set to "On"... i.e. I tested this years ago, and setting it to "off" back then did not work with The Bat!. Less secure app access will have to be set to Off. And Google will do so May 30 2022, i.e. breaking the currently working "less secure" The Bat! access to Gmail.
  • In The Bat!, right-click on your gmail.com account, Properties, opening your Account Properties dialogue, then select Transport, and then to the right of Receive mail, click on the  Authentication... button. The "Mail Retrieval (POP3/IMAP) Authentication" window will, in my case, be set to Regular... but at some point you will probably have to set it to OAUTH (using Web Browser)
Where and how e.g. do you get "The "Authorization code" input for OAUTH login using system web browser" ? And were do you enter that info exactly?

I hope someone who does know how to set things up will fill in the gaps. Thanks.
Edited: Christoph Loewe - 04 March 2022 14:49:55

The problem I have with google's OAUTH is, that Bat requests to enter token EVERY TIME when I start the program.

Even if I have The Bat allowed, and that shows within Google Security page.

I dunno where is the issue. But this practically prevents me to use OAUTH at all.

[IMG WIDTH=640 HEIGHT=504]https://i.ibb.co/XxgPtf3/2022-03-05-17-01-34-Aplikace-s-p-stupem-k-va-emu-tu-Slimjet.png[/IMG]
Edited: Pavel Novak - 05 March 2022 18:05:39

Pavel: Could it be an access rights problem of your browser or of The Bat -- would it help if you run TB with Admin rights? I'm thinking that it may need to store a token, but somehow cannot do so? It's a far stretch but it's all that I can think of for now.

btw, some people use Gmail in The Bat without Oauth, for instance see this discussion:

https://www.ritlabs.com/en/auth-forums/forum4/topic15193/message51321/#message51321
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Its true I am not using Admin account,  and Bat internal browser doesnt work. But I finished auth via my browser and just copy token..
When I ran it under Admin, all my accounts are gone (clean install - ie. different userspace.. and I kinda dont want to run app as Admin on daily basis)..

Personally I dont use OATH for google also, because it keeps asking me from the first time I tried it. But gmail sends emails now, that different methods will be shutdowned completelly..
Edited: Pavel Novak - 05 March 2022 23:17:30

Actually I didn't mean for you to run The Bat from your Admin account, but to run it from your regular account with elevated rights. You should be able to do so by right-clicking on your The Bat shortcut and choosing 'Run as Administrator'. But again, it's a long shot - and it was based on the assumption that there was an OAUTH problem, which I now understand is not what you use.

To be clear, I have problem with OAUTH, I am just comment workaround "not use OATH" above.

Today I did test with Admin rights. When I create GMAIL IMAP account, OUATH it, it works ok after re-run the bat. No prompt.

But, when I export all my accounts, import them for the Admin run of The Bat, OATH one of my gmails, and then re-run as admin, again, prompt.
Frustrating. I have >13 email accounts with filter, settings, setup etc., and configure everything again thats something I really dont want to do :/

Pavel Novak wrote:

Today I did test with Admin rights. When I create GMAIL IMAP account, OUATH it, it works ok after re-run the bat. No prompt.
Pavel,

what version do you have?

What do you mean to "test with Admin rights"?

do you mean "Windows admin" ?

I can understand your frustrations, I think a few years ago, I and a lot of others had similar problems when Gmail changed something, TheBat didn't so either wait for a fix or stop using Gmail or stop using TheBat.

No new posts and no update to TheBat (AFAICT)... and it does not seem clear if and how things can work out with the changes googlemail is implementing.

Will trial and error the issues in mid-May. That should give me 2 weeks to try and make things work, post May 30th.

I just received this email from Google, after reading this thread I still haven't got a clue what steps I need to take to be able to keep on using the bat with gmail.
This issue must affect quite a few users, so wouldn't it be a good idea for developers to post a step by step simple to understand method to fix this?

lin pool wrote:
I just received this email from Google, after reading this thread I still haven't got a clue what steps I need to take to be able to keep on using the bat with gmail.

The Bat v9.2.3 and higher support OAUTH2. You should be able to set this authentication method in the Receive Mail section of the Transport tab of your account's Properties. You may have to set it under Send Mail as well (I don't know - I'm using an older version, myself). If that works, I think you're all set. As a precaution, do write down your current settings though :)

This appears to be working in ver 10.

Adding in the gmail account opens up a browser window to generate the oauth2 token. Token is o the final screen after you give it permissions. Copy paste into Bat.  Opening/closing bat  does not appear to lose the token or cause it to redo the oauth exchange.

To others, some years ago google implemented the less secure password option to enable applications needing google access to only access certain parts of the account without giving keys to the whole castle.  It seems they're now deprecating this technology in favor of oauth2.  With the latter, the application requests specific access rights to a very granular subset of the account (ie send/receive emails, contact list,etc..). This ultimately is supposed to make the account more secure and more difficult to compromise.

So once they turn off the old method, you will lose access to email unless the new method is configured.
Edited: J Sol - 30 April 2022 21:34:34

Thanks, i followed your method, all is working now!

lin pool,
did you use TheBat v10 or did the previous version v9.5.1 also work for you?

(Checking to see if I must upgrade to v10, that did not explicitly mention any changes to "oauth2 management".)

Update: Well, just upgraded to v10.0.3, so I should be in the best situation once I try to get the whole "oauth2" issue resolved.
Edited: AEon - 08 May 2022 10:51:15

So, changed the Authentication of "Receive mail" (Account menu -> Properties -> Transport for that googlemail account) fr om regular to OAUTH (using Web Browser).Then closed the Account Properties window.

Side note: The "Send mail" Authentication was set to Perform SMTP Auth (RFC 2554) and Same user/password as for Mail Retrieval (Require secure auth, and Use "POP before SMTP" auth... both were not set). This is convenient since I did not have to change anything under Send mail.
  • - I then selected the account again, and hit F2 to check the googlemail account/server for new mail.
  • - The first time you do this, it will open up a window in The Bat! that will try to log into googlemail ("using its internal browser emulation or something"), listing your currently selected account's email address as a login name.
    Now for me logging into googlemail via The Bat!'s "browser window" here failed.
  • - I had to click on the button at the top right of said window named "Open in system browser"... this opened a Firefox window (my default browser),
  • - let me click on the googlemail account presently under consideration,
  • - and asked for the password for that googlemail account.
  • - After entering that pw, googlemail will provide an authorization code for "The Bat!",
  • - copy that code into The Bat!'s window (where you clicked on the "Open in system browser" button), at the very bottom into the text field called Authorization Code:, then click OK to close the window.
At this point you should be done. I closed The Bat!, then relaunched the app, and used my other email account to send a message to the OAUTH account, to test that receiving emails works. And from this OAUTH account I sent out an email to my other account to check that sending of emails also works. Both worked fine after open/closing The Bat!.

Hope that helps. (Note I am using The Bat! v10)

P.S. Now I hope that on May 30th googlemail does not start to whine about some other issue, and that things "just work" from now on.
Edited: AEon - 13 May 2022 10:40:54

Nope, we are need here multiple hysterics that gmail will falling down with TB! through two weeks)))

Let's wait this Terminator 2 Judgement Day and have a glance by own eyes.

>> Now for me logging into googlemail via The Bat!'s "browser window" here failed.
>> - I had to click on the button at the top right of said window named "Open in system browser"...
I have to use too "system browser" button. Internal browser Google don't like it.

AEon wrote:
lin pool ,
did you use TheBat  v10  or did the previous version  v9.5.1  also work for you?

(Checking to see if I must upgrade to v10, that did not explicitly mention any changes to "oauth2 management".)

Update:  Well, just upgraded to v10.0.3, so I should be in the best situation once I try to get the whole "oauth2" issue resolved.
9.5.1 went fine.

Because of this change announced by Google, I updated The Bat to version 10.0.3 and followed the steps indicated by AEon, (thanks, brother) that is, I changed the authentication to OAUTH (using Web Browser)  and then I pressed F2 to verify my account. At this point The Bat's  internal browser window opened but after 2 seconds The Bat closed. And  every time I tried again, the same thing happened.

In other  words, I cannot authenticate with Google because The Bat closes when opens the internal browser window and does  not allow me to connect with Google, neither through the internal  browser nor through the system browser.

Could someone guide me on why the program crasses and how to avoid it?  (My OS is Windows 10)
Edited: Jose Vicente Blanco - 17 May 2022 20:29:55

In other words, I cannot authenticate with Google because The Bat closes when opens the internal browser window and does not allow me to connect with Google, neither through the internal  browser nor through the system browser.

So, for clarity, you also tried the 'system browser' button that George Salnik mentioned a few messages up? Which browser is that, and what happened when you tried it? Do you have any security software running that may be interfering? Have you tried running The Bat as Administrator? Would it be possible to make a different browser the 'system browser', even if just temporarily?

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
In other words, I cannot authenticate with Google because The Bat closes when opens the internal browser window and does not allow me to connect with Google, neither through the internal  browser nor through the system browser.

So, for clarity, you also tried the 'system browser' button that George Salnik mentioned a few messages up? Which browser is that, and what happened when you tried it? Do you have any security software running that may be interfering? Have you tried running The Bat as Administrator? Would it be possible to make a different browser the 'system browser', even if just temporarily?
Thanks for your answer.

My system browser is Firefox but I can't  click the system browser button because it doesn't give me time to do so  since The Bat closes immediately. In addition, it would be necessary to  keep the internal browser window open to be able to enter the token  that Google would provide.

I've also tried disabling antivirus  and all background programs and running The Bat as administrator, with  the same result: The Bat crashes within 2 seconds of opening the  internal browser window.
Pages: 1 2 3 Next