Pages: 1 2 Next
RSS
[ Closed ] TheBat! 10

The Bat! v10 is finally out!
28 April 2022
No doubt, The Bat! has become an irreplaceable email client for a large number of users all over the world. We do always strive to ensure an effective and easy email management and that is why are continuously working on improving The Bat! functions and implementing new features.

Today is an important day for Ritlabs: we have released the new version of our email client – The Bat! v10!

The Bat! users have been waiting for this day for a long time, but we are now sure that the wait was worth it: The Bat! v10 features a brand new tool which will for sure help manage everyday business tasks more efficiently, and namely the Calendar.

The new calendar allows creating new events, adding attendees from address books and sending invitations to them, as well as accepting invitations from other correspondents. Thus, you can now inform your colleagues of the upcoming meetings in just several clicks. All you have to do is to open the Calendar in the Tools menu, sel ect the needed day, put the cursor at the right time and click Advanced to adjust the event settings. In the General section you can add a description, specify the location, exact starting time and duration as well as set notifications of the event. If you switch to the Attendees section, you will be able to add the attendees of the event from your address books: once you finish creating the event, The Bat! will save the emails with invitations to these correspondents in the Outbox folder, and you can send them out when needed.

Not only sending out, but also receiving invitations from other correspondents is now possible in The Bat! - this is a new feature which was quite often requested by The Bat! users. We do always take into consideration users' requests and suggestions, that is why we have invested so much time and effort into the implementation of this new tool and we are sure it will meet your expectations. You will now be able to receive invitations in the .ics format and add them to your calendar in The Bat! v10: open the email with the invitation and press the Accept button to add the event to the Calendar.

Apart from the event invitations, the new calendar allows creating usual Scheduler tasks, which are familiar to The Bat! users (for example, sending and checking mail, creating and sending emails at a specified time, folder re-filtering, sending files, backup, etc.). It is possible to set the recurrence of the events in the Calendar as well.

Special attention should be paid to the modern neat interface of the Calendar. Each event is displayed as a separate block located at the specified time span. If you click on such block, a pop-up window with the event overview (date, time, attendees) will appear. You can easily increase or reduce the duration of the event by vertically moving the lower border of the clock. It is also possible to easily change the date of the event: just click and hold the event and drag it from one location in your calendar to another.

We plan to implement the support of the CalDAV protocol, which will allow synchronizing events with the server. The support of CalDAV will appear in one of the next The Bat! v10 versions.

Besides the new tool, The Bat! v10 features the renewed address book. We have updated the design of the address book and improved its ergonomics to increase communication speed between the user and the address book. It is even easier to add a number of emails address and phone numbers – their total number is not limited now as it was it the old interface. In the next v10 versions the users will even be able to add custom labels to email addresses and phone numbers (like, home or business, etc.). One more new feature: if you now add birthday in the properties of a contact, The Bat! creates an event with the notification in the new Calendar – this way you will never miss a birthday!

Another piece of good news: The Bat! v10 offers automatic update! It means that you will no longer need to download the installation files from www.ritlabs.com. All you need to do is access the Help → Check for Update menu. If a new version is available, you will see the list of changes and the Update button in the pop-up window. Click Update and The Bat! will update its program files in the background. At the end of the process you would need to restart the program – you can do it at once or later. A version of The Bat! without the autoupdate feature will also be available for download at our website.

The Bat! v10 includes a number of improvements and fixes as well. The entire list of changes is available here: https://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/revision-history/7752/

The Bat! v10 is the first version in the new series which means that the users of earlier versions need to purchase the upgrade to use the newest version.

Note! The users who purchased The Bat! license fr om June 1, 2021 onwards are eligible to take advantage of the free upgrade program – Smart Upgrade, which means that the upgrade to The Bat! v10 is free of charge for them! When the owner of such license starts The Bat! v10, a pop-up window will appear – the user would need to enter the email address that was used when he/she purchased The Bat! v9, and the program will send the request to our server for confirmation and the key update. The Bat! will automatically recognize the new key, and the user will also get an email with the new registration key.

If you purchased The Bat! v9 before June 1, 2021, you will not be able to participate in the Smart Upgrade program, however, you can purchase an upgrade with a 70% discount! If your license is valid for any older version, you can purchase the upgrade with a 50% discount!

The new development stage of The Bat! has started, there is more to come! We are looking forward to your feedback and suggestions on the new features!

Download The Bat! v10: https://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/download.php

https://www.ritlabs.com/en/news/7754/
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

Here is a summary of changes since v9.5.1

[+] Calendar functionality
[+] Completely redesigned Address Book
[+] New component-based update system that allows installing updated components without the need of downloading entire installation packages
[+] Birthday event is added to the calendar after setting new birth date for a contact
[+] /OFFLINE and /ONLINE command line parameters to start/switch The Bat! into offline/online mode on start or while it's running
[+] Read/Unread label in the Summary column
[*] User pictures are now round instead of rectangle in the Summary View
[*] Summary Column layout changed
[*] CEF was updated to v99.2.14
[*] Ctrl+Y now works as Redo in both HTML and MicroEd editors
[-] Customized toolbars and menus could misplace buttons
[-] Archive password was shown in the scheduler's backup action listing
[-] Automatic list generation in HTML is now switched off (will be made optional in the future)
[-] Automatic switching into HTML editor by using text formatting was working incorrectly when multiple paragraphs were selected
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

George Salnik wrote:
We plan to implement the support of the CalDAV protocol, which will allow synchronizing events with the server. The support of CalDAV will appear in one of the next The Bat! v10 versions.
Well, I have upgraded from 9.

But CalDAV support is a real must, if it's to be a fully functioning calendar.

In my view, it cannot come soon enough!

I must say, the layout really pushes it to the limit.
- We are over Artwork and gradiant buttons?

I cant use the calendar as it is now. Using calendar with server (google calendar) is a must. Who doesnt have calendars synced to phones etc.?

Im a little bit dissapointed in upgrading really.

Will Ritlabs ever bring the handling of graphics up to par?
I cannot add multiple images inline either by drag & drop or the image icon

It makes it hard to create newsletters etc.

Seriously?  No integration with Google Calendar and Zoom/Teams?  This makes the Calendar about as useful as a 1990 PDA.  This new function has been talked about for years and this is what we get?

And the terrible built-in "new" editor still has not been fixed.  It is full of huge time-wasting bugs.  And what about the steady stream of Access Violation errors and general crashes.

No way am I upgrading to V10 until there is a firm commitment to fixing the bugs in V9.xx   Several of my users have now moved to Outlook due to all this.  The Bat is no longer cutting edge or usable for power users.

I have offered to pay for a programer to sit down and fix the bugs but Ritlabs do not seem interested,

I am getting a headache thinking about how disappointing this is.

Thomas
Edited: Thomas Dahl - 29 April 2022 07:30:28

147 MB installer for v10 !

40 meg install folder, OK but an extra 308 MB appdata folder...
and I didn't even install the dictionaries !
I find that quite excessive for an email client IMO.
Edited: batuseruk new - 29 April 2022 21:40:13 (sp.)

21st century and still we have such a post about size. Did you ever ever see a size of Adobe Acrobat for example?

Is the new calendar functionality an offline one or I'm missing something?

Honestly TB Team, I was expecting your team to over-deliver with this calendar that we have waited years for only to find out that your team has underperformed and underdelivered to no surprise. Nothing of value here. In fact, I find the layout completely amateurish. It's as if your team threw this together at the last minute (a work in progress) sad to say.  My advise, would be to hire someone from Microsoft and provide real functionality and give us something of value. As a TB user for over 20+ years my days of upgrading are over.

Certainly for me this update is completely useless! A calendar function with access to external databases should have been part of the original The Bat! software.Since it wasn't, I've been using a Google calendar (together with VueMinder) and I'm not about to change.

The install program for v10 should have mentioned that a new key was required BEFORE it installed instead of after! I had to go back and re-install the v9 program - just an irritating nuisance!

Since I've just upgraded to MS Office 2021, I'll be giving Outlook another go... (Much as I dislike Microsoft!) But at least it is a mature product with a functioning calendar and detailed address book.

I will not be upgrading The Bat! to v10.

Rob

>>  A calendar function with access to external databases should have been part of the original The Bat! software.
You are right, Calendar in TB! isn't have sync with another calendar services now.

>> I will not be upgrading The Bat! to v10.
Everyone of us do their own choise. I will do an upgrade soon just because upgrade from v9 isn't so expensive and v10 have fix with button displace bug.

So to get a bug fix for v9 of The Bat! I have to pay to upgrade to v10?????

Upgraded to V10 and can't open without first doing a repair. CEF binaries are missing...

https://i.ibb.co/grtdnCD/baterror1.gif
https://i.ibb.co/YZtgbNz/baterror2.gif
https://i.ibb.co/GsJ7LQT/baterror3.gif

[unsupported code removed - daniel]

Folks, please report any bugs (also) directly to Ritlabs, using the Support option in the menu above. This is a user-to-user forum and the developers are not likely to see your reports here.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

any news about Voyager v10 ?

Isn't ready yet.

Doesn't this version crashes like... a lot? I'm thinking about going back to 9.  

A program update, The Bat v10.0.3, was released on May 5th.

There is no "what's new" information that I can find, but I do know that it solves a problem with SSCE spell checking dictionairies (I assume that's the same problem as that reported by Bill a few messages up).

https://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/download.php
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
There is no "what's new" information that I can find, but I do know that it solves a problem with SSCE spell checking dictionairies (I assume that's the same problem as that reported by Bill a few messages up).
I found the information in the readme.txt file once I installed v10.0.3:

--- 10.0.3 changes ----
[-] the "CEF could not be found" error for no-automatic-updates configuration
[-] SSCE spell checker dictionaries were not used when installed
[-] Wrong number of licenses was shown for multilicense keys

Regarding the calendar: I am not going to use it since I don't calendar software at all. However, one feature which I've been waiting for is displaying basic information about calendar invitations. Say, in the style of GMail: When, Where, Who. As it is now, The Bat! only displays that I've been invited to an event and Accept, Decline buttons.

Silly question: how can I submit this feature request directly to RitLabs? Using the Support link and ticketing system? Thanks.

Miloš Radovanović wrote:
Silly question: how can I submit this feature request directly to RitLabs?

Yes, using the support ticket system. Towards the bottom of your request you can choose a category, in this case I'd pick 'feature request' or something along those lines.

Thanks for the v10.0.3 read.me info!

That thread will be used for the news. This is not a street market!
The thread is closed.

Please do not forget about every forum rule: one thread = one question.

TB! v10.0.5

Improvements
Update CEF to version 101.0.15
Automatically open system browser for Google's OAUTH
"Always use system browser for OAUTH authentication" option at the "Other options" page of the Preferences
Fixes
Tip Of the Day was not using proper tip file location
Fix Automatic Updater's version comparison function

Additions
"Go Offline" button in the Restore dialog to help to avoid automatic connection after restoring data on a new system
Fixes
Window size of Message Source Viewer was not restored on screen DPIs other that 96
PDF files with non-ASCII characters in names could not be viewed
Pages: 1 2 Next